Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roland rejects Carruthers deal

Comments

• Options

If the new owners are close to a deal then they have sanctioned this sale. That worries me a bit.

Or they think, it lowers the price and pushes the sale through and long term Holmes is just one footballer.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

If the new owners are close to a deal then they have sanctioned this sale. That worries me a bit.

I think that's wholly possible. Alternatively, we're not that close to a sale.

The phrase that immediately sprung to mind was what Karl allegedly said yesterday, "debt management exercise." Now, I don't know if that's what he actually said, how it was said, etc, and if it's true or just what he was told. But if there was any truth in that statement and this is done with the consent of new owners, then you have to see the direction this is headed.

Muir went in at Rangers to bring down operating costs so that Lloyd's could get their money back. It worked. They did. Then the club dissolved. I don't really understand why anyone would want him near us. As AB pointed out on Charlton Live the other day, we're not going to break even by reducing operating costs. If anything it sounds like the club has lost a lot of people in key roles who need replacing.

I recommend this. Just a quick read on how Muir seemed to walk away from the Rangers debacle Scot free (see what I did there?)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13050158.Donald_Muir__the_bank_s_inside_man_at_Ibrox__has_questions_to_answer/
  • Options
    With all this 'cnut' talk I'm starting to wonder if RD isn't simply trying to make a point about the limitations of football ownership, placing us on the metaphorical beach and commanding the incoming tide to turn back even as we're drowned (in debt)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

With all this 'cnut' talk I'm starting to wonder if RD isn't simply trying to make a point about the limitations of football ownership, placing us on the metaphorical beach and commanding the incoming tide to turn back even as we're drowned (in debt)

He's so fucking meta
  • Options
    I could have lived with Holmes for Carruthers and a cash adjustment.

He has been part of two squads promoted from this league. I note Robinson 'hasn't given up ' on him.
  • Options
    for conspiracy theorists Alex McLeish was Curruthers' manager at Aston Villa
  • Options

Roland is just fully in dereliction of his duty now. He's actively damaging the squad just to draw as much money as possible from the club before he goes. Surely if this sale doesn't go through soon there's a point where the Football League have to step in. He's asset stripping, plain and simple. I'm not holding my breath on the FL giving a shit though

Even if there was such a thing as the FL investigating Roland's activities at Charlton, at best they would just fine him and keep the money for themselves.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

How good is Carruthers?

According to KR, he played under him at MK, so he must be good
  • Options
    C***
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

He's so fucking mental
  • Options
    edited January 2018

And Bowyer's at Birmingham if that means anything.

Well, it means McLeish was an awful manager, but I think we all knew that.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

SDAddick said:

All those medals he won say otherwise.
    He mostly won domestic trophies with one of the big two in Scotland. That is damning with faint praise.

I will give him credit that unlike most British managers who complain about British managers never getting jobs, he has at least won something.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

He mostly won domestic trophies with one of the big two in Scotland. That is damning with faint praise.
    a role he got from doing well with smaller Scottish sides.

And how many league titles have Rangers won since.

He also won a league cup and got Birmingham promoted so just on his English record he's done more than Robinson.

I don't think he's great, not do I want him as Charlton manager but all this "he's terrible, he's awful" is just not backed up by the facts.
    That's because they ceased to exist!

His teams played awful, dour football. He is a relict from another era. He got 11 men to sit behind the ball and get stuck in. He showed us (what we already knew) that Joe Hart was a good shot stopper. But to me, a "roaming footballed correspondent" that does not make.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

He also won a league cup and got Birmingham promoted so just on his English record he's done more than Robinson.

I don't think he's great, not do I want him as Charlton manager but all this "he's terrible, he's awful" is just not backed up by the facts.
    Well the facts are that his win rate at each club is as follows:

Birmingham - 36%
    Villa - 24%
    Forest - 14%

That to me is pretty terrible.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

His teams played awful, dour football. He is a relict from another era. He got 11 men to sit behind the ball and get stuck in. He showed us (what we already knew) that Joe Hart was a good shot stopper. But to me, a "roaming footballed correspondent" that does not make.
    But that is a different arguement. That he might have played "dour" football but won things doesn't make him a "terrible" manager. maybe just a pragmatic one.

In any case the rumour I read on the clique forum was that he would be Director of Football. I've no idea if he'll be good at that but I am sure he's a huge leap up from Fraeye and Driesen.
  • Options
    Carruthers wouldn't have been a like for like Holmes replacement

He's more of an energetic central midfielder, like Jordan Cousins
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Better to win with pragmatic football then to lose playing nice IMO.
  • Options
    I'm not going to wait and see or let this go! I'm going to continue to bitch about it because I once PAID MONEY to watch an Alex McLeish side and it was awful!

But no yeah, as a DoF he's a step up on literally nothing because we don't have one. THOUGH OUR STANDARDS SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN "BETTER THAN NOTHING." But points all taken.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Carruthers wouldn't have been a like for like Holmes replacement

He's more of an energetic central midfielder, like Jordan Cousins

But he's quite technical and tidy. Decent pace and can run with the ball. The issue I noticed from the couple times I've seen him play (not a big sample size) is there's a lot of running around and some nice touches but is there a solid end product? Maybe that's not the right way to phrase it, it's more "does he have the ability to focus on completing certain things instead of trying to do everything all at once?"

Would be a good addition at this level, not doubt. The question is the off the field stuff and the pissing off a fucking balcony at Cheltemham like a child. Obviously everyone does dumb things when they're 22/23 so it's a question of is that a one off or a window into an immature and silly person.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Birmingham - 36%
    Villa - 24%
    Forest - 14%

Birmingham finished 9th in the premier league under AM, their best finish for 50 years and won a major trophy.

And 36% is pretty much Robinson's win rate at Charlton.

What was his win rate at Rangers?
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Birmingham - 36%
    Villa - 24%
    Forest - 14%

Birmingham finished 9th in the premier league under AM, their best finish for 50 years and won a major trophy.

And 36% is pretty much Robinson's win rate at Charlton.

What was his win rate at Rangers?
    99.5%
  • Options
    More to the point, the question should be, do we really need Carruthers ??. Another midfielder, who can play wide or as a number 10. We have plenty of those & unlike Holmes his goalscoring record is not very good. What we all agree we need is a striker. Listening to the post match interview KR says that he has been allowed to spend Ricky's wages (if he goes of course). To me that sounds like another loan or a freebie, but as long as we strengthen where we most need it then not getting Carruthers in p/ex isn't an issue.