Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will we be a better team without Ricky?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    For those who've said 'yes' in this thread i'm intrigued to know why you think that.

Personally i don't think we'll be dramatically worse, as i don't think we can get much worse than we've been in recent weeks, but how do you think we'll be better off for losing our player of the year?
  • Options
    Hopefully the absence of Holmes will mean we become less of a one trick pony (no reference to Ricky's awful lid)
  • Options
    Depends which Holmes we are talking about - if it was for the first 2/3 months of the season before he was found out then I would say no, but for the last 2 months he has been truly dire, his ability to make and complete passes must show in the statistics.
  • Options

No, was our best player.

That said, I think Fosu showed some signs that he could be as good.

I think Ricky had been our best player, but something changed this year after the first five or six games. Maybe we over relied on him, or perhaps he was becoming too predictable i.e. head down, charge up the wing, swing over a cross without looking up, or without looking for another option. Plus clubs were double marking him which didn't help.
    He also lost his touch on set pieces which I thought was strange. Previously, any free kick near their box and you felt he might score, but that changed in October or November. Did he stop practicing them maybe?

Personally I wish him well. Players aren't fans, most are mercenaries who might have a soft spot for a club, but they're ambitious just like anyone else.

But it can backfire. The worst transfer in Charlton's history was Parker's. Remember how he dominated Arsenal in the 1-1 at The Valley (Dicanio pen) when Arsenal were top and we were second? What a great team we had, and Parker was on the brink of an England call up. His move to Chelsea must have satisfied his ego and his bank manager, but it arguably finished his career.
    Neither he, not Charlton ever really recovered from it.
  • Options

Only at Duchatelet's disaster of a football experiment do fans ask if we could be a better team after we sell our best player?

Yes of course, just like we roared up the league table after offloading, Stephens, Kermogant, Vetokele, Gomez, Lookman, Gudmondssen, Pope, Cousins et al.

You could make a decent team for a premiership challenge with the players this myopic old sociopath has offloaded on the cheap. Even the likes of Harriot and Big Makienok would walk into this team.

Your inability to spell the names of our best two players from the past 10 years is far more astounding...

K
    E
    R
    M
    O
    R
    G
    A
    N
    T

&

G
    U
    D
    M
    U
    N
    D (i won't hold not using the weird ð here against you though!)
    S
    S
    O
    N

I genuinely feel that when Ricky has played in recent months it's been the Ricky Holmes show with over hit crosses, over hit free kicks and heavy touches meaning he had to give away more fouls than is acceptable.

He'll be missed as he was very exciting, he won't be missed because of the greed that took over despite his goals drying up.

Best of luck to him, I don't think anyone can or will blame his choice at his age.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Only at Duchatelet's disaster of a football experiment do fans ask if we could be a better team after we sell our best player?

Yes of course, just like we roared up the league table after offloading, Stephens, Kermogant, Vetokele, Gomez, Lookman, Gudmondssen, Pope, Cousins et al.

You could make a decent team for a premiership challenge with the players this myopic old sociopath has offloaded on the cheap. Even the likes of Harriot and Big Makienok would walk into this team.

Your inability to spell the names of our best two players from the past 10 years is far more astounding...

K
    E
    R
    M
    O
    R
    G
    A
    N
    T

&

G
    U
    D
    M
    U
    N
    D (i won't hold not using the weird ð here against you though!)
    S
    S
    O
    N

I genuinely feel that when Ricky has played in recent months it's been the Ricky Holmes show with over hit crosses, over hit free kicks and heavy touches meaning he had to give away more fouls than is acceptable.

He'll be missed as he was very exciting, he won't be missed because of the greed that took over despite his goals drying up.

Best of luck to him, I don't think anyone can or will blame his choice at his age.
    I don't wish to compare how I used to feel as a child when players left, such as Parker and Jensen, but I do compare when really good players like Kermorgant, Gudmundsson, Poyet (ok, seems less problematic now) left and I don't feel especially bothered by this transfer, at least not form a purely playing perspective. As a symbol for the regime, evidently selling one of your best players for peanuts, even at 30 is not good news.
  • Options
    No.
    But not just cos he's gone. He's the first of a series of cash inflow generating decisions the rat will make. The squad will be weakened again and again. Added to that KR is playing politics with his selections. Until regime change is complete Charlton Athletic is on an ever steeper downward slope, the brakes have been sold for scrap and the driver's asleep in the cab. Choo choo
  • Options
    No.
    When a club is going for promotion you strengthen the squad in January, just like we did in 1998 and like Sheff Utd have just done.
    We need more goals and Duchatelet has just sold our chances of promotion for this season.
    It'll be a miracle if we're playing in the Championship next season now.