Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bury v Charlton 2018 post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    With everyone fit, and a positive vibe about the place, we can, and I believe will, finish top 6, even without Holmes. If the takeover can happen soon enough to get us 1 or 2 players, most notably someone to stick it in the onion bag, I think we’ll be well inside the top 6 and a threat to anyone we might meet in the playoffs.

That’s if we can get on top of these injury problems, which looks a big if at the moment.

I felt the team was good enough to reach the playoffs in August and I still do. We’re hopefully coming out of the biggest dip we will have this year and we’re still in the top 6 with a lot of games play and points to be won.

It’s what makes the lack of a bit more investment so frustrating, because we are very close to being more than good enough to get out of this division because, after all, it is bloody pony this year.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Macronate said:

RedChaser said:

PWR (just for you @bazjonster :wink: )

At the match;

My first visit to Gigg Lane which is a tidy little ground with the East Stand now allocated to visiting supporters with the old West Stand behind the goal at the opposite end not opened for the small crowd expected.

With no Holmes in the squad Reeves played the number 10 role, Marshall was on the right and Mavididi on the left behind Josh. Kashi was in his usual position but Aribo seemed to playing a bit further forward in 4-1-4-1 formation. Despite rumours about Lennon's fitness he partnered Konsa at CB with Dijksteel and Dasilva full backs in front of Amos

Both sides started cautiously but before long the gulf between the two sides soon became apartment as expected of their respective league positions. Dasilva and Mavididi combined to provide our main threat and Reeves looked up for it seeking plenty of ball and using it well. Ex Bantam Hanson the Shakers new on loan signing from Sheffield Utd put himself about but Lennon, and Konsa were up for the challenge and restricted him to one free header which missed the target. At the other end Josh had two good chances both of which were spurned. Both teams had a few corners but neither keeper was really tested and our free kicks in dangerous areas were wasteful and came to nothing HT 0-0

Second half we started to boss the game and Bury were there for the taking the odd shot they did have in anger was atrocious and it is no wonder they are well adrift at the foot of the table. After some good interplay down our left a ball came quickly to Aribo in the 18yd box, caught him by surprise and bounced of his shin, had he controlled it a goal was inevitable. We continued to press for a goal and it finally came after good work by Aribo in the box with a quick turn of feet and dummy he cut along the goal line before pulling it back to Marshall to slot home.

With our tails up and Bury's resistance finally broken we pressed for a second and after a great run into the box by Mavididi it should have been 2-0. Somehow the ball struck the woodwork and we don't half like doing things the hard way by defending a 1-0 lead as the 90 min mark approached with 6 mins of additional time shown by the 4th official. Reeco, JFC and JJ were all thrown into the mix from the bench but you just knew a chance would fall to the home side, fortunately nothing came of it and wouldn't have troubled a goal twice as wide, game over FT 1-0.

Well done to the 300 or so travelling Addicks, amongst whom incidentally the black and white theme was more prevelant today, for getting behind the team.

In summary the oppo were poor on a run of six straight defeats but you can only beat what is in front of you and we did. All the team put a shift in and they have all staked their claim for inclusion as the injury situation eases. Never mind Holmes, Mavididi is a joy to behold running at defenders, it doesn't always come off but he is exciting to watch in full flight and like Dasilva is far too good for this league. Three points against the whipping boys of the league doesnt make it all rosey in the garden with the sh*tstorm going on at our club but it does offer a lighter moment and prevented a melt down had we been beaten.

Rolland Out and COYR's

‘soon became apartment’ is my new favourite saying.
    You should have seen the first draft, you'd've been spoilt for choice :blush:
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Haven't watched the match but it seems if we had a striker we might have won this by more than one goal. I wonder if we can get the hattrick of one nils on Saturday.

You probably won't know this but in the dim and distant days of Charlton Athletic's history they had a manager called Jimmy Seed who won a lot of games 1-0 when they got promoted from the third division south, the second division and then came runners up in the first division in successive seasons.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

Haven't watched the match but it seems if we had a striker we might have won this by more than one goal. I wonder if we can get the hattrick of one nils on Saturday.

You probably won't know this but in the dim and distant days of Charlton Athletic's history they had a manager called Jimmy Seed who won a lot of games 1-0 when they got promoted from the third division south, the second division and then came runners up in the first division in successive seasons.
    Even our successive promotions are boring. ;-)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

@LenGlover - sorry for not responding on match thread, I was so engrossed in the action! Bury is the closest (easiest) for me to get to there and back on the same day. It was a good win but against a poor team. I thought that Harry Lennon did well against a canny operator in James Hanson.

Having a personal boycott with Dumbarton - not prepared to pay £22 to watch part-time football, although they are doing well enough without me! Hope all's well with you and yours
  • Options
    There was a white and pink shop along side the pitch opposite the camera near the halfway line ?
    Any ideas , a couple,of estate agents ? Or small bungalows ...

Pub league fffs
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    RedChaser said:

Rolland Out and COYR's

Ok ok, I'll let it go! :wink: Apologies to you and all other PWRers.

And yes, I clearly need to get out more! (That can be a challenge in Saudi! Mind you, I train locals and you should have seen their look of blank confusion when I told them that I support Charlton Athletic!).

(PS: Great post-match report by the way mate).
  • Options
    I think Robinson knows the takeover is very close. It does feel like we're on the verge of a new era. Robinson had the players in a huddle after the game for quite a while.
  • Options
    addickson said:

LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

@LenGlover - sorry for not responding on match thread, I was so engrossed in the action! Bury is the closest (easiest) for me to get to there and back on the same day. It was a good win but against a poor team. I thought that Harry Lennon did well against a canny operator in James Hanson.

Having a personal boycott with Dumbarton - not prepared to pay £22 to watch part-time football, although they are doing well enough without me! Hope all's well with you and yours
    Ouch! Only £12 at Welling and they would give Dumbarton a game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't I shared this yesterday - you can hear Karl's interview here

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Listening to Robbo, while he was still talking the tape ran out ...... !

Yes, they've only got a 2 hour tape!
  • Options
    www.skysports.com/football/bury-vs-charlton/375498
    Aribo does very well creating the goal and another good run from Mavididi.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

www.skysports.com/football/bury-vs-charlton/375498
    Aribo does very well creating the goal and another good run from Mavididi.

Yeah, it was all Aribo. Dasilva and Mavididi caused them problems all game on the left.
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights. Terrible miss by Magennis from the long hoof by Amos - he really does need one to go in off his backside or anywhere. Great piece of skill from Aribo to set up the goal
  • Options
    Very impressed by Aribo's work in the box to set up our winner.

Also with Marshall, decisively cutting in and finding Aribo - and keeping moving across the box to be in a goal scoring position for Aribo's inviting square ball across. Horrible to defend.

Mav nearly scoring with a replica move of his last week's winner against Oldham.
    Watch their CB, arms all over him, trying vainly to stop him.

The move started with Reeves bringing the ball very positively out of defence, before finding Mav wide already moving.
    Watch Reeves, he continues his run into a goalscoring opportunity position in the box - and maybe Mav should have set him up?

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

We were only runners up in one season 1936/7.
    We then finished 4th in ‘38, then 3rd in ‘39.
    Unfortunately the war intervened when we were on a roll, and after the war our best position was fifth (‘53)
    We were relegated in ‘57 after Seed’s sacking in ‘56. Average league position (in Div 1) under Seed was 11th despite the restricted budget.

Jimmy Seed’s red and white army.
    I know.

My point was that we gained promotion from the third division, the second division and finished runners up in the first division in successive seasons.

I did not say that we finished runners up in the first division in successive seasons although 4th and 3rd is still pretty good!
  • Options
    Just seen the goal. Magennis’ effort was typical of any chance he gets these days. And someone mentioned before that ever since he came back from the World Cup play offs he has not been anywhere near his usual performances.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

Unfortunately the war intervened when we were on a roll, and after the war our best position was fifth (‘53)
    We were relegated in ‘57 after Seed’s sacking in ‘56. Average league position (in Div 1) under Seed was 11th despite the restricted budget.

I know.

My point was that we gained promotion from the third division, the second division and finished runners up in the first division in successive seasons.

I did not say that we finished runners up in the first division in successive seasons although 4th and 3rd is still pretty good!
    Good stuff. I think there was a comma missing ... (apologies for the pedantry but I studied book publishing for three years, two of which were spend studying commas and apostrophes. Thrilling stuff, much of which I’ve forgotten now of course).

first division, in successive seasons .... I think?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

I know.

Good stuff. I think there was a comma missing ... (apologies for the pedantry but I studied book publishing for three years, two of which were spend studying commas and apostrophes. Thrilling stuff, much of which I’ve forgotten now of course).

Get a room you two. :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

I know.

P'raps as Curbs would say.

I wanted to ask whether or not they taught closing brackets but on the quoted version prior to posting you have closed the brackets even though the second bracket does not show on the posted version! One for @cobbles maybe?

Don't apologise for pedantry it is part and parcel of making Charlton Life the fine institution it is.

Nothing like chewing the cud over apostrophes, commas etc....

EDIT: Mystery solved! You edited whilst I was posting!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

JamesSeed said:

I know.

P'raps as Curbs would say.

I wanted to ask whether or not they taught closing brackets but on the quoted version prior to posting you have closed the brackets even though the second bracket does not show on the posted version! One for @cobbles maybe?

Don't apologise for pedantry it is part and parcel of making Charlton Life the fine institution it is.

Nothing like chewing the cud over apostrophes, commas etc....

EDIT: Mystery solved! You edited whilst I was posting!
    You bet I did. Tapping on the phone leads to all sorts of mistakes.

Btw, standards are generally so high on this forum, whereas on that other one that I must not name, standards are waaaay lower.
    And as for the Facebook group ...

And by standards, I don’t just mean spelling and grammar. Some of the posts about the takeover have been extraordinary, and some of the post match write ups are superb.
    Geniuses are two a penny here.
    You could almost publish a ‘Best of’ Charlton Life.
  • Options
    After our poor run of form, being back in the top six is almost unbelievable.

For the lack of a finisher, though, it could all be for nought.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Macronate said:

RedChaser said:

At the match;

My first visit to Gigg Lane which is a tidy little ground with the East Stand now allocated to visiting supporters with the old West Stand behind the goal at the opposite end not opened for the small crowd expected.

With no Holmes in the squad Reeves played the number 10 role, Marshall was on the right and Mavididi on the left behind Josh. Kashi was in his usual position but Aribo seemed to playing a bit further forward in 4-1-4-1 formation. Despite rumours about Lennon's fitness he partnered Konsa at CB with Dijksteel and Dasilva full backs in front of Amos

Both sides started cautiously but before long the gulf between the two sides soon became apartment as expected of their respective league positions. Dasilva and Mavididi combined to provide our main threat and Reeves looked up for it seeking plenty of ball and using it well. Ex Bantam Hanson the Shakers new on loan signing from Sheffield Utd put himself about but Lennon, and Konsa were up for the challenge and restricted him to one free header which missed the target. At the other end Josh had two good chances both of which were spurned. Both teams had a few corners but neither keeper was really tested and our free kicks in dangerous areas were wasteful and came to nothing HT 0-0

Second half we started to boss the game and Bury were there for the taking the odd shot they did have in anger was atrocious and it is no wonder they are well adrift at the foot of the table. After some good interplay down our left a ball came quickly to Aribo in the 18yd box, caught him by surprise and bounced of his shin, had he controlled it a goal was inevitable. We continued to press for a goal and it finally came after good work by Aribo in the box with a quick turn of feet and dummy he cut along the goal line before pulling it back to Marshall to slot home.

With our tails up and Bury's resistance finally broken we pressed for a second and after a great run into the box by Mavididi it should have been 2-0. Somehow the ball struck the woodwork and we don't half like doing things the hard way by defending a 1-0 lead as the 90 min mark approached with 6 mins of additional time shown by the 4th official. Reeco, JFC and JJ were all thrown into the mix from the bench but you just knew a chance would fall to the home side, fortunately nothing came of it and wouldn't have troubled a goal twice as wide, game over FT 1-0.

Well done to the 300 or so travelling Addicks, amongst whom incidentally the black and white theme was more prevelant today, for getting behind the team.

In summary the oppo were poor on a run of six straight defeats but you can only beat what is in front of you and we did. All the team put a shift in and they have all staked their claim for inclusion as the injury situation eases. Never mind Holmes, Mavididi is a joy to behold running at defenders, it doesn't always come off but he is exciting to watch in full flight and like Dasilva is far too good for this league. Three points against the whipping boys of the league doesnt make it all rosey in the garden with the sh*tstorm going on at our club but it does offer a lighter moment and prevented a melt down had we been beaten.

Rolland Out and COYR's

‘soon became apartment’ is my new favourite saying.
    You should have seen the first draft, you'd've been spoilt for choice :blush:
    I thought you meant the performance was a bit flat.
  • Options

Both Aribo and Dijksteel make the team of the week

Good for them. Hopefully a big boost for Dijlsteel who I thought looked ropey in the first half but really grew into the game. Bit harsh on Konsa who I thought was excellent.

As an aside, how ridiculous was Dijksteel's booking? It looks a lovely bit of defending where he used pace and strength to get across his man and shield the ball. I thought for sure Bury would score as it was eerily reminiscent of the not foul but actually excellent bit of defending from Jay DaSilva right before we conceded against Pompey (I think it was).
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    SDAddick said:

Good for them. Hopefully a big boost for Dijlsteel who I thought looked ropey in the first half but really grew into the game. Bit harsh on Konsa who I thought was excellent.

As an aside, how ridiculous was Dijksteel's booking? It looks a lovely bit of defending where he used pace and strength to get across his man and shield the ball. I thought for sure Bury would score as it was eerily reminiscent of the not foul but actually excellent bit of defending from Jay DaSilva right before we conceded against Pompey (I think it was).
    Thought Dijksteel's booking was harsh especially with some of the Bury challenges going in unpunished and he did the right thing in easing the player over the touchline. Whether it was a legitimate shoulder to shoulder charge I couldn't tell from behind the goal but he had to make it. Maybe Konsa should have been chosen over him but good luck to the lad both Dijksteel and Aribio (who was picked up from Non League Slough Staines in 2015) are very good prospects.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

Thought Dijksteel's booking was harsh especially with some of the Bury challenges going in unpunished and he did the right thing in easing the player over the touchline. Whether it was a legitimate shoulder to shoulder charge I couldn't tell from behind the goal but he had to make it. Maybe Konsa should have been chosen over him but good luck to the lad both Dijksteel and Aribio (who was picked up from Non League Slough in 2015) are very good prospects.
    As a long term resident of Staines, I can confirm Joe has no links to Gervaiseville.