Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bury v Charlton 2018 post-match thread

Comments

• T_C_E said:

Watched on tv from my home in Denmark as I've watched most of the games this season. Reeves looked more up for than in ages which maybe because we weren't looking for Holmes to come and collect the ball, in fact as was the whole team in the first 20 minutes we ran at them taking the game to them instead inviting them on to us. Bury decided that they better start to lean on a few players and with some big lumps in their side it started to get a little agricultural. Marshall decided at last to start hitting the by line but needs to start firing in a cross instead of floating it in for the keeper. Both centre backs looked ok with Lennon the shakier of the two, the full backs looked ok and weren't overly bothered with any threats by their wingers. Kashi just kept it fairly simple. All in all, a good result and will give them the confidence in themselves.

Hey @T_C_E . I’m in Denmark too. Where are you based and how long have you lived there?
    And I'm in Norway !

Anyone over here fancy a drink ?
    At those prices Fanny they're on you!! :wink:
  • Pyrrhic victory but 3 points garnered against the 24 th team in the league. Bizarre times at the comedy club.
  • A win is a win and with players being sold from under him by RM and RD, I'll take it.
  • T_C_E said:

Watched on tv from my home in Denmark as I've watched most of the games this season. Reeves looked more up for than in ages which maybe because we weren't looking for Holmes to come and collect the ball, in fact as was the whole team in the first 20 minutes we ran at them taking the game to them instead inviting them on to us. Bury decided that they better start to lean on a few players and with some big lumps in their side it started to get a little agricultural. Marshall decided at last to start hitting the by line but needs to start firing in a cross instead of floating it in for the keeper. Both centre backs looked ok with Lennon the shakier of the two, the full backs looked ok and weren't overly bothered with any threats by their wingers. Kashi just kept it fairly simple. All in all, a good result and will give them the confidence in themselves.

Hey @T_C_E . I’m in Denmark too. Where are you based and how long have you lived there?
    And I'm in Norway !

Logistically could be a nightmare to organise, my suggestion would be the liberal club if you fancy a beer. :)
  • We’ve been on the ropes for the last few months and Robinson and the squad have been rolling with the punches and despite some awful performances and results we are still hanging in there.

Today wasn’t a turning point but it was three big points.

Now bring on a takeover next week and a few players the week after.

COYR
  • SDAddick said:

I've run out of superlatives for Jay DaSilva. He just never stops running, and he's combining really well with Mav.

That's a good spot, SD ....... DaSilva and Mav picking up a good understanding and working well together.
    I'll be watching out for that.

• If we can pick up 3 more wins we should stay up.

Anything better in the present circumstances will be a bonus.
  • LenGlover said:

If we can pick up 3 more wins we should stay up.

What's worrying me, Len ..... is we only have 19 matches left in which to do so.

• Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

If we can pick up 3 more wins we should stay up.

Anything better in the present circumstances will be a bonus.

Blimey Len

• T_C_E said:

And I'm in Norway !

Blimey no wonder our attendances are dwindling. Everyone is overseas
  • edited January 2018
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

And I'm in Norway !

Logistically could be a nightmare to organise, my suggestion would be the liberal club if you fancy a beer. :)
    Get the Copenhagen - Oslo ferry. Overnight job, duty free drink prices, fantastic view for breakfast if you are coming in to Oslo.

Oh and ..er..somewhat surprised and very pleased with today's result.

• Out of interest, how many games has Harry Lennon been back in the side? Seems that since he’s been in we’ve kept a couple clean sheets.

I've been sticking up for him for a couple of seasons and been given stick for doing so.
    When he has been out on loan and played regularly he has done well.

The problem he has had at Charlton is that he has always been 4th or 5th choice and never been given a run in the side
    I still think he will develop into a decent defender for us.
    A couple of seasons ago when Lennon was on loan at Gillingham, didn't they build their defence around him?

They were comfortably in the play off positions when Charlton suddenly recalled him - and afterwards without him, their season collapsed.

• Really glad to see us stick it out for the win. Got a bit worried by the end (neutral mate with me said he could see why I get nervy any time they're in our half, even when they'd been absolutely shocking all match).

Overall, a lot of good to take from the match given the circumstances. Da Silva and Mav working well is at least a silver lining to come out of the loss of Holmes.

Konsa looked good, shame if that's his last match in our shirt but good luck to him.

Reeves and Marshall looking like much better players today too.

Happy for the team and KR for grinding a win out in difficult circumstances!
  • Two wins and two clean sheets in a row but it doesn't feel like it. Sums up the state of the club at the moment.

Awful first half full of long balls, second wasn't much better. Came alive a bit when we scored and Mavididi and Dasilva the bright sparks. Really not much to report.
  • Sponsored links:

• As Jake Forster-Caskey wasn't match fit and was only on the bench to show solidarity. Could it be the 1st case of a player being stretchered on to the pitch ?

Well, despite what we were told before the match - JFC did in fact come on in the 88th minute.

I dread Monday's news that JFC is now out for 6 weeks with a torn 'something else'.

• Forgot to mention Lennon, good performance from him. Solid.

• 0% Top two ........ 27% 3rd-6th ....... 72% 7th-12th ........1% 13th-20th .......0% Relegation

100% 6th at the moment, Ooaah ..... at least until next week :smile:

• Oggy Red said:

Out of interest, how many games has Harry Lennon been back in the side? Seems that since he’s been in we’ve kept a couple clean sheets.

I've been sticking up for him for a couple of seasons and been given stick for doing so.

The problem he has had at Charlton is that he has always been 4th or 5th choice and never been given a run in the side
    A couple of seasons ago when Lennon was on loan at Gillingham, didn't they build their defence around him?

They were comfortably in the play off positions when Charlton suddenly recalled him - and afterwards without him, their season collapsed.

I’m not sure about that oggster, he only played 8 games in 2 different loan spells.
  • T_C_E said:

And I'm in Norway !

What are you doing in Norway @Fanny Fanackapan ?
  • T_C_E said:

And I'm in Norway !

What are you doing in Norway @Fanny Fanackapan ?
    Fronting up a Norwegian consortium to buy Charlton.

You heard it here first
  • Oggy Red said:

Out of interest, how many games has Harry Lennon been back in the side? Seems that since he’s been in we’ve kept a couple clean sheets.

I’m not sure about that oggster, he only played 8 games in 2 different loan spells.
    Fair enough, Ricky .... I'm only trying to remember what I thought I'd read a couple of years ago.
    Something Gillingham's manager said around that time.

Maybe I've got it wrong.