Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricky to go? (Pg17 Gone)

Comments

• Options

to be fair to Ajose I don't think there were too many moans when we signed him, hadn't he just scored something like 28 goals for Swindon the season before.....it just hasn't worked out for him and we've clearly never really played to his strengths

Agreed. But whenever I have seen him play his body language was dreadful.

A geezer with attitude.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Get Ajose back, play 2 up front, this boring, negative, sideways, backwards style is not working, 34 goals in 27 games really entertaining stuff!! and now no Holmes our only direct route to goal has gone. the build up is so slow they always have 10 behind the ball. Instead of trying to stiffle the oppositions format, go 2 up front and let them worry about us.

From Al to Alan

Ajose is shite mate!

He's living off of one good season at Swindon, he's been appalling apart from that!

He's lazier than Tony Watt and that's saying something!
    Next VOTV headline, "Apologist slags off Charlton".
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Ferryman said:

JamesSeed said:

Ferryman said:

agree Ajose will be loaned straight back out. Rumour is that Bury are paying most of his wages so why would we want him back if he's not going to play

Which manager signed Ajose? Oh yea!
    Slade wasn’t it? Or was it just before he came in?
    I believe they went ahead and signed him without a manager.
    That was Novak I think?

But, Slade definitely signed Ajose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36644166
  • Options
    Matty fryatt is still available on a free, would he not he worth a punt. Always been a decent goal scorer at this and higher levels.
  • Options
    Ajose has one goal in League One this season. One. That's less than Patrick Bauer.
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:

Matty fryatt is still available on a free, would he not he worth a punt. Always been a decent goal scorer at this and higher levels.

Has he played recently?

Wouldn't want another JFH situation, where we get a decent goalscorer that's no longer decent at scoring goals.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

CAFCDAZ said:

Has he played recently?

Wouldn't want another JFH situation, where we get a decent goalscorer that's no longer decent at scoring goals.
    Just had a quick look....scrap that his played less theb leon best in the last 2 years. Shame was a decent player in his day.
  • Options
    On bench today
  • Options
    Unused sub
  • Options

On bench today

Welcome to your new world Ricky
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ricky who?

Ricky Ajose.
  • Options

Ricky who?

Ricky Ajose.
    Ah, I remember him well.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Can't believe all the knives coming out for Ricky Holmes.

He never let us down in his time with us, scoring some memorable goals.
    Probably our talisman.

But he's moved on now.
    He's a journeyman professional and he's got a job at a higher level.

And if you were in his boots and got the chance, that's likely what you would do too.

Spot on Oggster - well said..
  • Options
    put a good shift in for us ricky holmes, wish him all the best but doubt he will do much at the top end of the championship
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

put a good shift in for us ricky holmes, wish him all the best but doubt he will do much at the top end of the championship

Maybe we'll be surprised?

He's re-united with his old manager, who'll know how to get the best out of him.
    Even if he's only used as an impact sub, he's only got to unleash one of his trademark 25 yarder matchwinners, and their fans will love him.

And if he did that in the play off final at Wembley, he'd be an all time Sheff Utd hero.

• Options
    Ricky in his 18 month's at Charlton was our go to player to make something happen. For 16 months of that stay he did most of the time. The king is dead. Long live the King.
  • Options

Ricky was an amazing player, but the dynamism in our attacking play on Saturday without him was plain to see. Our forward players we constantly interchanging positions, and we were attacking through all parts of the pitch.

With Ricky we were so one dimensional it became so easy for teams to defend against. I would love to have Ricky but play the way we did this weekend.

Look at Arsenal against Palace, no Sanchez (arguably their best player) and the linkup play between the forward 4 was the best they've played in months. Similar to our situation with Holmes IMO. Sometimes the lower ability of the individual players is made up for in teamwork, whereas when Ricky was about it was always up to him to create
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Ricky was an amazing player, but the dynamism in our attacking play on Saturday without him was plain to see. Our forward players we constantly interchanging positions, and we were attacking through all parts of the pitch.

With Ricky we were so one dimensional it became so easy for teams to defend against. I would love to have Ricky but play the way we did this weekend.

Look at Arsenal against Palace, no Sanchez (arguably their best player) and the linkup play between the forward 4 was the best they've played in months. Similar to our situation with Holmes IMO. Sometimes the lower ability of the individual players is made up for in teamwork, whereas when Ricky was about it was always up to him to create
    this!
  • Options

With Ricky fit and all our other decent attackers injured we were so one dimensional it became so easy for teams to defend against. I would love to have Ricky but play the way we did this weekend.

• Options

With Ricky fit and all our other decent attackers injured we were so one dimensional it became so easy for teams to defend against. I would love to have Ricky but play the way we did this weekend.

I do half agree with that, without Fosu on the pitch much of our attack did focus on Ricky. However, I feel we woefully underused Marshall who I think with a bit more support (as seen at the weekend, especially with Solly behind him) can be a dangerous player.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Probably our talisman.

But he's moved on now.

And if you were in his boots and got the chance, that's likely what you would do too.

Get this sentiment entirely, I have no ill feeling towards him and wish him the all the best going forward.

If I was in Holmes' position though i'd much rather be getting regular first team football in what are basically his peak years. perhaps the wage increase was too good to turn down...
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Oggy Red said:

Probably our talisman.

But he's moved on now.

Get this sentiment entirely, I have no ill feeling towards him and wish him the all the best going forward.

If I was in Holmes' position though i'd much rather be getting regular first team football in what are basically his peak years. perhaps the wage increase was too good to turn down...
    If I was in Holmes position and I was in the twilight of my career I would want to do what was good for myself and my family in the long term and that's earn as much money as I possibly can. If this is by going to a club who are a league above the one I am in and are pushing to be in the premiership - and I may have to force myself into the first team, then so be it.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I do half agree with that, without Fosu on the pitch much of our attack did focus on Ricky. However, I feel we woefully underused Marshall who I think with a bit more support (as seen at the weekend, especially with Solly behind him) can be a dangerous player.
    Couple of factors there - 1) most of the games that Fosu was out for and Marshall was fit for, Solly was also injured leaving either Konsa or Dijksteel behind him, neither of whom are naturak full backs and would not/could not overlap and support Marshall the way Solly naturally would. 2) Marshall was coming back from a long injury and it is clear he has taken time to play his way back into form - this is sometimes a thing with players, some return from injury like they've never been out, others just take a longer time to get really match sharp and confident. Marshall was effectively returning from injury and debuting for a new team all at once so its understandable he hasn't looked totally comfortable right away. He seems to be improving though which is great news. As I said in the post match comments though, I think he needs to have a really good game next time out or he may lose his place with all the whipper-snappers queuing up behind him.

• Options
    I wish Holmes the best; we'd have all done the same, given how (relatively) little he will have made out of football . However, i'll be far more upset if we lose Fosu
  • Options
    Ricky who?
  • Options
    Ricky Holmes has to do what’s best for Ricky Holmes and Ricky Holmes’s family, not Charlton Athletic and that’s the only thing that matters. He provided us with some great moments but the fact that I couldn’t really give a toss whether he stayed or went probably sums up my personal take that just lately he’d become more of a hindrance to the team than an asset but, hey, what do I really know about football ?. The way I see it is you always want great players in your team but most of all you want a team, not a great player. The last three results seem to indicate we’ve got the makings of a team.