Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricky to go? (Pg17 Gone)

Comments

• Options

Sheff U was what I heard most likely last week (if he did go), but Preston manager was there on Tuesday

I mentioned this on another thread, but someone said he was looking at their number 8
  • Options

Sheff U was what I heard most likely last week (if he did go), but Preston manager was there on Tuesday

Watching Oxford's number 8, Ledson.
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

Can’t blame Holmes for wanting to go. He’s 30 now, so realistically has only 5 seasons left. Even with a takeover we are unlikely to get promoted this season, so with us, the earliest he’d get a chance of playing in the Championship is 2019/20 season. I’m sure the fee will be undisclosed and won’t be used to strengthen our squad, so a bit more wrangling will have to be done by our potential buyers.
    JUST SELL UP YOU OLD SCROTE

No way does Holmes, in his position and the way he plays, have 5 seasons left.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I mentioned this on another thread, but someone said he was looking at their number 8
    Ryan Ledson, who was really highly rated when he was younger (still only 20) coming through the Everton youth setup. A lot of people seemed surprised when he left Everton and dropped down two levels but on his day he's certainly of Championship class. He captained that U-17 team that won the U17 Euros in 2014--the one with Gomez and Solanke and Izzy Brown and Patrick Roberts and a bunch of players who won the U-20 World Cup in the summer.

Obviously have no idea who Neil was there to see, and of course it could have been more than one player. But I would say a scouting trip to see Ledson would make a lot of sense (as would one to see Holmes).
  • Options
    I'll miss his amazing corner repartee.
  • Options
    As I put o the rumours thread:

On Holmes I don't blame him at all,

He's approaching the end of his career, maybe has 3 seasons left after this one at the most, probably 1/2 where he'll remain a 1st choice player (at this level or above). It's also his last few years of earnings as a player so understandably he wants to maximise that.

He re-signed as he was led to believe we'd have a great chance of promotion. That is now looking flakey at best.

On the assumption we didn't go up this year AND didn't sell him, then his chance of playing anywhere but League 1 or below has all but gone as has any serious pay rise for those last couple of years.

Sheffield want him for their push to the play off's - oddly he could find that he goes there, does well along with the rest of the team and they get promoted to the premier league, if they did I suspect he'd at best be a bench warmer.

He's always given 100% for us which is a hell of a lot more than a number of players these past 4 years.

If he goes I wish him well, all thanks to Roland....... :neutral:

I think he'll go, along with Konsa and anyone else where we're offered more than £250k for (which in reality isn't likely to be anyone else!). Neither will be replaced other than a loan recall.
  • Options

Good riddance to him . He’s been making it clear for a long time that he wants to play in The Championship without actually showing he’s Championship class .
    You can count on one hand the good games he has played this season

Enjoy getting splinters on Sheffield United's bench.

Harsh.

• Options
    Easily one of our best players, but he has been toilet this season. Can't blame him for wanting out, we sold him the promotion dream, which isn't happening and he's got limited miles on his clock to play Championship football.
  • Options

But Ricky was an unused sub so the Preston boss will have to go on previous reports.

As for those previous reports; Holmes has been off form since October & as @SD Addick states hasn't scored for months & his set pieces have been rubbish.

Sometimes I do wonder if players do this on purpose. He got anew contract in the summer so made some ££££ & then 3 months latter puts in sub-standard performances. The team then suffers, form dips & then he goes to the manager saying that the promotion push has stalled & wants to leave. Player benefits all round.

Not saying that I want him to leave as he is probably the most exciting player we have (Mavididi & Da Silva are up there but they are both loanees) and without him any attacking threat has gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

It doesn't matter to me what the Blades pay for him. If it was the old half penny that went out in the 1980s or a billion pounds we know as fans the club or Robbo wouldn't see a single half penny of it as Roland would pocket the lot for his own use. The fact is we are more than probably gonna lose a key player in this transfer window.

Can you please explain how Roland would be able to “pocket the lot for his own use”?
    He's a mad man, he'll believe that selling players won't reduce the sale price.

I doubt there are any heads of agreement signed with buyers, so if he sells that means less money he has to put in to cover operational costs so in effect, yes, he does pocket the money, for now......... but it will lower the price he achieves on a sale (if it didn't I'd be very worried on the calibre of the buyer).
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Good riddance to him . He’s been making it clear for a long time that he wants to play in The Championship without actually showing he’s Championship class .

Harsh.

Possibly but I’m a supporter and I hate it when players can’t wait to jump ship.
    Its January and It’s not as if we’re at the bottom of League one.
    At least wait till the end of the season then you can go.
  • Options
    “But what I won’t do is sell the player just for money."

Since when has that ever been a manager's choice under Roland?
  • Options
    bye bye Ricky = bye bye faint play off hopes
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Redrobo said:

It doesn't matter to me what the Blades pay for him. If it was the old half penny that went out in the 1980s or a billion pounds we know as fans the club or Robbo wouldn't see a single half penny of it as Roland would pocket the lot for his own use. The fact is we are more than probably gonna lose a key player in this transfer window.

Can you please explain how Roland would be able to “pocket the lot for his own use”?

I doubt there are any heads of agreement signed with buyers, so if he sells that means less money he has to put in to cover operational costs so in effect, yes, he does pocket the money, for now......... but it will lower the price he achieves on a sale (if it didn't I'd be very worried on the calibre of the buyer).
    So he does not pocket the money, it would just reduce the club debt. The only way he would benefit is if he got more for the player than his book value AND the buyers didn’t notice.

Muir don’t seem to be the kind of chap you could easily mug off to me.
  • Options
    If he ends up going to the scum, I don't think I could live with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Redrobo said:

This is just my opinion, but I don’t think it’s all about the money? RD is, I believe, a very nasty vindictive character and he blames the fans for the failure of his experiment. Selling our best players leading up to a sale of the club, like at Standard, is his perverted way of exacting revenge. Like I say, just my opinion.
  • Options

Think that's very harsh on him, start of the season he was playing very well and scoring, personally i don't think he's 100% fit, but he never hides and in my opinion is our hardest working player. I have also never seen any statements that he wants to leave from him.
  • Options

He's shit anyway/he has a negative influence in the dressing room/he sells crack to the youth teams

Take your pick of the above when he fucks off to help convince yourself this ship isn't sinking.

If hes selling crack to the youth teams then he should go....must really need the wage increase if he has to do that! :wink:
  • Options
    If Ricky goes, we are certainly staying in league 1. There is zero chance of bringing in someone of the same quality. Be lucky to even get someone in same position.
  • Options
    Undersell best player
    Replace with garbage/nobody (delete as mood takes you)
    Rinse
    Repeat

Classic Rolando, he does make me smile....
  • Options
    In a normal club where we could replace I would say good luck and good bye and take the money. I think as a player he has peaked.
  • Options

He's shit anyway/he has a negative influence in the dressing room/he sells crack to the youth teams

Take your pick of the above when he fucks off to help convince yourself this ship isn't sinking.

Also, he has girl's hair
  • Options
    Echo the sentiments shared, big loss, but inevitable given the cirumstances.

In the long term I'd like to think we could get players in but in the short terms the loss of him and Konsa without any replacements will almost surley signal the end of any lingering play off hopes.
  • Options
    I think he's been the best, or second best, player in just about every game he's played in this season. DeSilva and Fosu have been on a par with him, but no one else has.

His performances have not dropped anywhere like as much as the other players (all be it that I recognise that with the injuries we have been playing weaker players) so he has still been a shining light going forward for us, relative to the rest of the side. Does anyone, really, think that Marshall, Reeves, Magennis, Best or KAG have offered more?

Anyone that thinks that we will be able to sign a player that will deliver more than him while in this division needs to have a rethink, in my opinion.

I understand why he wants to go, I understand why RD would want to get some money for him and I don't think it will make the slightest bit of difference about which division we will be in next season. What it will do is mean that rather than chasing a lost cause to finish sixth this season we will be looking over our shoulders at the bottom four. It will also mean that we will need to spend a small fortune, or unearth a gem for next season if we are going to have any hope and ambition to finish in the top two.

I can only assume that those that are saying he has been 'rancid' this season haven't seen many games - I've watched them all (in the League) and I will be devastated if/when he goes.

Glad Robinson is saying he won't sell him without reinforcements because after he said, exactly, the same thing about Watt and Novak, I feel totally confident in the $hit that comes out of his mouth...Not!