Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Time for an all-out boycott of season tickets

Comments

• I do not think that he cares one jot about our club,boycotting is a personal choice,but will make not one iota of difference,H e does not attend games and probably does not even check the scores.Any loss can easily be recouped by selling our best players,I regret that he has the upper hand and will do things in his own time.Any criticlsm in the media about the way the club is run will not interest him,as he is seemingly cutting his ties with the football world.

All good reasons not to give him your cash before he finally fucks off.
  • stick and carrot ----- get a message to the prospective new owners that there could a collective effort to bring in 3/5,000 new season tickets or even a new share issue----target 20,000 etc
  • Isn't it a tad premature to call for a boycott of something that won't be available for another 4 months?
  • Bit late to slap his wrist. Buying season tickets and going for four years has supported him.
  • bbob said:

Isn't it a tad premature to call for a boycott of something that won't be available for another 4 months?

The threat of an organised boycott or evidence of one could be powerful enough ahead of season ticket renewals....
  • It aint gonna happen, we all know that , dont know why we are talking about it.
    Plus, it will make no difference to RD anyway.
  • boggzy said:

bbob said:

Isn't it a tad premature to call for a boycott of something that won't be available for another 4 months?

It's three years overdue to be fair.
    we had the same thing before this season...
  • It aint gonna happen, we all know that , dont know why we are talking about it.
    Plus, it will make no difference to RD anyway.

I'll count you out then.
  • _MrDick said:

My boycott continues. It saddens me to say I haven’t been since the PC Keith Palmer memorial match last season. No intention of going until Duchatelet slings his hook

Ditto. My last game as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• My worry with a call for a 100% boycott is the, potential, damage to credibility if too many go ahead and renew anyway.

I know it’s a risk that CARD might have to take but if the call for it and the club sell just a handful less than the season before ir makes it more difficult for CARD’s PR.
  • stick and carrot ----- get a message to the prospective new owners that there could a collective effort to bring in 3/5,000 new season tickets or even a new share issue----target 20,000 etc

Indeed, @Goonerhater.

The petition I suggested earlier could also ask fans whether they would buy a season ticket under a new owner/s.
  • edited January 2018

My worry with a call for a 100% boycott is the, potential, damage to credibility if too many go ahead and renew anyway.

I know it’s a risk that CARD might have to take but if the call for it and the club sell just a handful less than the season before ir makes it more difficult for CARD’s PR.

The problem is that CARD can't ask for a boycott while some of their main players keep attending, some even with season tickets. Which I personally can't get my head around, but yes it is a personal choice.

If there was to be a dedicated boycott, it should have been done after the Karel Fraeye farce of a season at the very latest.

Having said that, it shouldn't really take a group to make people's decisions for them - if you feel strongly enough then don't go!

But from the stats this season, yes of course sales are rightly down, but I don't think that many more will boycott now.
  • Haven’t been to the valley since RD ownership turned sour.
  • Though there was never a boycott call, I’m still gutted how many renewed for the start of last season.

I understand fully the reasons many did, I’m just convinced that had everyone made a noticeable stand and we started the season in near empty home sections and even more dire revenue streams, we would have got to this current point of him looking to sell about 15 months ago.

My feelings exactly. Not buying a season ticket doesn't mean you have to stop going, just that you haven't paid in advance. If Duchatelet can take another £0.6m in season ticket sales in the Spring before selling he will an he will negotiate the point with any prospective buyers. Signal a serious intention not to renew and he might just decide it's not worth hanging on for. Yes, he's a billionaire and yes, he will sell on his terms, but are you really going to give this bloke another three-figure sum in advance when he doesn't give a shit about Charlton Athletic, You or what dross you suffer next season because he hasn't done for the last three years which is why we are now a League One club and in this parlous state?
    As long as I can afford a season ticket I'll buy one.
  • edited January 2018
    I'm sad to say, I don't think a boycott will be that productive anymore. If only because the steady decline already - and individual/personal boycotts - will probably hide the full effect; it will just look like a continual trend. By all accounts - I believe that those who are unhappy with the current situation should be voting with their wallets and cutting down the funds that they're providing the club: apart from the Keith Palmer memorial match, and the Back To The Valley commemoration match, I'm not entirely sure when the last game I went to was. (and I was a season ticket holder for multiple consecutive years, and a regular - who convinced colleagues to give it a go - even without a season ticket.)

What I believe could work - and is something that would be relatively easy/cheap to do - is to make a "pledge". Rather than being negative, it's quite a positive suggestion - and hints at additional income for an prospective purchaser.

Edit: I've just read the thread a little more deeply rather than getting carried away, and can see that both @Goonerhater and @Fanny Fanackapan have said similar!
  • edited January 2018

RD wouldn't give a flying f*** if there were no fans at the ground - We're not dealing with a normal owner.

I've given you a like, mate - because I think you're right in that he's definitely not a normal owner. I reckon you're probably right in saying he doesn't give a flying f*ck too...

But - I don't actually think we know what Roland is like. The way I see it, he's had Katrien as his "boots on the ground" - and I think she's played him like the deluded tosser he is. Consider that

(a) when he came out to defend her he didn't seem to know a lot of stuff that had been going on;
    (b) his remarks on different (more recent) interviews suggest that he's also a bit detached from the events at SE7;
    (c) and to top it all off - she left without even informing him of the job she had lined up.

These three things suggest to me that she lied through her teeth, and knew just how to hide inconvenient little facts like "attendances" away from him; he had placed into her the utmost trust, and I think she knew this yet didn't particularly have a great deal of respect for him in return.

I wonder whether the same old tactics would elicit a different response now he's stated that (a) he's going to be involved more (meaning failure is in his name), and (b) he'll have better visibility of the state of the club.
  • With Duchatelet trying to get more money than the club is worth and refusing to back Robinson in the January window, we have to look at what we can do as fans to make a final point with the owner. There is every prospect that Duchatelet will also cash-in on one or two players this month as he also continues to frustrate prospective buyers. If he is still holding the reigns come season ticket renewal time, I would hope that far fewer supporters are willing to cough-up in advance for another year of this dross. I know there are those who don't care about who owns the club but have a bit of respect for yourselves and at least hang-on to your money in the hope of the satisfaction of buying from new owners who might actually care about our club and have some ambition for it.

Of course in principle I agree with not giving RD any of our money. I've refused to buy any merchandise or food at the few games a season I get to see. I have paid to watch a few games as my time in the UK is very limited, so I have to get my football (Charlton) fix whenever I can

I think practically most of those fans who were going to boycott a season ticket, probably have done so by now...a few I know have capitualted due to family pressure and Id always respect that 100%. Personally, I think you will always get a hard core of people who will buy regardless....some because they dont care about the ownership and those who will buy out of habit and those who have that endearing human quality of not wanting to miss out.

I think we have to keep the pressure up the best we can in our own individual ways.

Just as importantly, we now need to start to focus on getting those people who have lapsed or drifted away and found other things to do on a Saturday, back down to the Valley once a take over has happened....I dont think a change in ownership will bring everyone back immediately as much as Id love to be proven wrong.
  • RD wouldn't give a flying f*** if there were no fans at the ground - We're not dealing with a normal owner.

No fans in the ground is the perfect business opportunity to sell the franchise
  • B
    TEL said:

With Duchatelet trying to get more money than the club is worth and refusing to back Robinson in the January window, we have to look at what we can do as fans to make a final point with the owner. There is every prospect that Duchatelet will also cash-in on one or two players this month as he also continues to frustrate prospective buyers. If he is still holding the reigns come season ticket renewal time, I would hope that far fewer supporters are willing to cough-up in advance for another year of this dross. I know there are those who don't care about who owns the club but have a bit of respect for yourselves and at least hang-on to your money in the hope of the satisfaction of buying from new owners who might actually care about our club and have some ambition for it.

Of course in principle I agree with not giving RD any of our money. I've refused to buy any merchandise or food at the few games a season I get to see. I have paid to watch a few games as my time in the UK is very limited, so I have to get my football (Charlton) fix whenever I can

I think practically most of those fans who were going to boycott a season ticket, probably have done so by now...a few I know have capitualted due to family pressure and Id always respect that 100%. Personally, I think you will always get a hard core of people who will buy regardless....some because they dont care about the ownership and those who will buy out of habit and those who have that endearing human quality of not wanting to miss out.

I think we have to keep the pressure up the best we can in our own individual ways.

Just as importantly, we now need to start to focus on getting those people who have lapsed or drifted away and found other things to do on a Saturday, back down to the Valley once a take over has happened....I dont think a change in ownership will bring everyone back immediately as much as Id love to be proven wrong.
    Tel - I don't think the hard core is 6,000, especially when c four thousand of them are regularly not attending games anyway. It's probably 2-3,000 and with those numbers our shrinkage of a club under Duchatelet would be complete for all to see. I also think it's gone beyond pledges and promises. We need to forcibly make the point this Spring and deny him the promise of more free money before he finally sells. He won't like the campaign or the negativity of the PR.
  • Sponsored links:

• B

TEL said:

With Duchatelet trying to get more money than the club is worth and refusing to back Robinson in the January window, we have to look at what we can do as fans to make a final point with the owner. There is every prospect that Duchatelet will also cash-in on one or two players this month as he also continues to frustrate prospective buyers. If he is still holding the reigns come season ticket renewal time, I would hope that far fewer supporters are willing to cough-up in advance for another year of this dross. I know there are those who don't care about who owns the club but have a bit of respect for yourselves and at least hang-on to your money in the hope of the satisfaction of buying from new owners who might actually care about our club and have some ambition for it.

Tel - I don't think the hard core is 6,000, especially when c four thousand of them are regularly not attending games anyway. It's probably 2-3,000 and with those numbers our shrinkage of a club under Duchatelet would be complete for all to see. I also think it's gone beyond pledges and promises. We need to forcibly make the point this Spring and deny him the promise of more free money before he finally sells. He won't like the campaign or the negativity of the PR.
    Out of interest, how do you arrive at a figure of 4,000 of the 6,000 season ticket holders regularly not attending games ?

Out of interest, how do you arrive at a figure of 4,000 of the 6,000 season ticket holders regularly not attending games ?

On the basis that there are c 2,000 of them missing at most home games and it's obviously not the same 2,000 every home game. I am guessing that number (obviously) but that would work on a known base of 6,000 season ticket holders. Our actual home gates are so small I think the consensus of numbers is pretty accurate if you add in c 1,000 to 2,000 complementaries that don't actually get given out (the fiddle-factor to save face). That would account for why official gates of c 10,000 are actually 6-7,000 present.
  • If the mad berk doesn't sell by mid Spring the season ticket point will be moot. He won't keep burning cash he'll liquidate his loss making subsidiary without a backwards glance
  • edited January 2018

On the basis that there are c 2,000 of them missing at most home games and it's obviously not the same 2,000 every home game. I am guessing that number (obviously) but that would work on a known base of 6,000 season ticket holders. Our actual home gates are so small I think the consensus of numbers is pretty accurate if you add in c 1,000 to 2,000 complementaries that don't actually get given out (the fiddle-factor to save face). That would account for why official gates of c 10,000 are actually 6-7,000 present.

As many red seats on show as there are, could we really fit another 21,000 fans inside the ground on a matchday ?

And, has the club or somebody on the inside who actually knows the real facts said there are 2,000 season ticket holders missing at most home games and that there are 2,000 complementaries that dont actually get given out ?

ST holders will miss games due to various other commitments, I often have a spare one, but given the circumstances of the protest/boycott I’d suspect that most of the remaining 6,000 ST holders are probably a fairly committed bunch if they renewed anyway so to say that a third or two-thirds arent turning up doesn’t sound particularly credible. I could be wrong of course...

Admin - is there something wrong with the quote function ?
  • Boycott or delay to renewing until August may have some legs.

A demand for a boycott just sets fans against each other.
  • I thought we was already? Have I been the only one?
  • Redrobo said:

Boycott or delay to renewing until August may have some legs.

I don't think that CARD would ever demand a season-ticket boycott because they know that it would be a waste of time
    There are just too many fans that will blindly renew or even go on a match-by-match basis, irrespective of the dross that is served up to them on the pitch and the contempt in which they are held by the ownership, just because that is what they used to doing. Those people that are still going are very unlikely, after all this time, to respond favourably to any call for a boycott.
    Each to their own.

As many red seats on show as there are, could we really fit another 21,000 fans inside the ground on a matchday ?

And, has the club or somebody on the inside who actually knows the real facts said there are 2,000 season ticket holders missing at most home games and that there are 2,000 complementaries that dont actually get given out ?

Another way to look at it is to consider whether or not you think the ground is more than a third full when they give a gate of 10,000. In my view, absolutely no chance.

The club aren't going to confirm that any number of season ticket holders aren't turning up every week because it's bad PR. It's the same reason they issue comps that either don't get issued or don't get used to bolster official attendances which hide the real reduction in support since they tookover.

Actual attendances are recorded as a safety requirement and I am reliably informed they are well south of the actual attendances being quoted and in line with the assumptions I am making.
  • Redrobo said:

I don't think that CARD would ever demand a season-ticket boycott because they know that it would be a waste of time
    There are just too many fans that will blindly renew or even go on a match-by-match basis, irrespective of the dross that is served up to them on the pitch and the contempt in which they are held by the ownership, just because that is what they used to doing. Those people that are still going are very unlikely, after all this time, to respond favourably to any call for a boycott.
    Each to their own.
    I agree, it is why I added the delay in purchasing a ticket.

Many of those still going think that boycotting fans have let the team down so are unlikely to boycott just because CARD say so.
  • Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Each to their own.
    I agree, it is why I added the delay in purchasing a ticket.

Many of those still going think that boycotting fans have let the team down so are unlikely to boycott just because CARD say so.
    Those that go are a worry.

Support the the team not the regime was always a selfish tag line to ease consciences.