Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ref questions about Oldham game

2»

Comments

• edited January 2018

I thought the ref called most things correctly. Agree with a comment earlier on though that 5 yellows was excessive. Thought Bauer's yellow and Malvididi's yellow were correct though.

Funnily enough I think Mavididi was fouled, but he overdid his reaction to the foul. Just as when he scored, the first defender tried to block him but, perhaps because of the booking, he rode the challenge and went on to score.

Just about to check on VP.
    [edit, not shown on VP, but I did have a good view and it was a block/foul, but yes, one that he could have ridden out if he'd wanted to. Technically though, he was fouled, albeit a 'soft' foul] And @KillersBeard agreed on the commentary, so I must be right ;-)
  • My view (I was right behind it) was that he anticipated the challenge and dived because he thought the defender was going to make contact. The defender however pulled out of the tackle.

Correct booking (in my opinion).
  • Dazzler21 said:

A few people have said the dive, wasn't a dive. Can anyone offer any evidence as to whether it was a dive either way?

Ball went slightly to the left, Mavididi went slightly to the right so he could fall into their player - What was most strange was the fact he had no need to go down... Could have continued running with the ball and had a shot or crossed
  • edited January 2018
    cafc999 said:

Ref should have book there man for the deliberate hand ball in the 1st half

Charlton Life Grammar & Spelling yellow card for you too: "Ref should have booked their man..."
    tsk tsk standards (shakes head)

Overall the ref stank the place up, not fit enough to keep up with play, not up to date with rule changes. Fortunately for him Charlton and Oldham were so pony the officials couldn't make that one any worse. If he doesn't majorly buck up his standards he'll be spoiling somebody's match quite soon.

• cafc999 said:

Charlton Life Grammar & Spelling yellow card for you too: "Ref should have booked their man..."
    tsk tsk standards (shakes head)

Overall the ref stank the place up, not fit enough to keep up with play, not up to date with rule changes. Fortunately for him Charlton and Oldham were so pony the officials couldn't make that one any worse. If he doesn't majorly buck up his standards he'll be spoiling somebody's match quite soon.

"Rule changes" ??
  • Mike Dean being a regular in the premier league sums up the level of reffing we should expect in this country!
  • The biggest issue is that the players/managers are set-up in opposition to the officials and none of FIFA/UEFA/EPL/FA seem to have any desire to change this. Until this happens and the players work with the officials and vice versa, then we will always see bad decisions, players continually trying to con the officials and officials not trusting players.
  • cafc999 said:

cafc999 said:

You only stay on the pitch after a head injury i believe.

Agreed. Blatantly deliberate to try and gain an advantage.
    And to stop us counter attacking
    Given our woeful attacking play of late, that's not much of an advantage.
  • The Guinness book of records have been informed ? The first case of a keeper being booked for time wasting when losing !

Lol... Anyone recall paddy kenny getting booked in the the first half a few years back for time wasting, but i am sure leeds were winning at the time.
  • The Guinness book of records have been informed ? The first case of a keeper being booked for time wasting when losing !

Lol... Anyone recall paddy kenny getting booked in the the first half a few years back for time wasting, but i am sure leeds were winning at the time.
    Law 12 states that ‘delaying the start of play’ is a cautionable offence. It is still an offence irrespective of how much time remains in the match or the current score.

• Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

The Guinness book of records have been informed ? The first case of a keeper being booked for time wasting when losing !

Law 12 states that ‘delaying the start of play’ is a cautionable offence. It is still an offence irrespective of how much time remains in the match or the current score.

Don't care what the law says, i am sure you will agree its very unusual for a goalie or any outfield player to be booked in the first half for timewasting. Particularly when they are losing. Only ever seen it twice and i have been to thousand of matches at all levels and all over the continent.
  • JamesSeed said:

Just about to check on VP.
    [edit, not shown on VP, but I did have a good view and it was a block/foul, but yes, one that he could have ridden out if he'd wanted to. Technically though, he was fouled, albeit a 'soft' foul] And @KillersBeard agreed on the commentary, so I must be right ;-)

It looked liked that there was contact to me, causing him to lose balance a bit - but he certainly made a meal of it, playing for the foul.
    You see it all the time in Premier League games and the foul is invariably given (look at how Palace get their penalties lol).

However, it was out wide 35 yards from goal and certainly not a goalscoring opportunity.
    Coming after only 3 minutes, personally I felt the referee over-reacted in booking him so early in the match - a word from the ref surely should have sufficed to a raw young player at that very early stage of the game.

After all the ref let much worse offences go unpunished.

• bobmunro said:

The Guinness book of records have been informed ? The first case of a keeper being booked for time wasting when losing !

Don't care what the law says, i am sure you will agree or a goalie its very unusual for any outfield player to be booked in the first half for timewasting. Particularly when they are losing. Only ever seen it twice and i have been to thousand of matches at all levels and all over the continent.
    Just shows that footballers aren't very bright and/or manager told them to slow the game down (making it a 60 min games as KR told us Big Sam done when KR was his assistant) and just following orders
  • bobmunro said:

Don't care what the law says, i am sure you will agree or a goalie its very unusual for any outfield player to be booked in the first half for timewasting. Particularly when they are losing. Only ever seen it twice and i have been to thousand of matches at all levels and all over the continent.
    Just shows that footballers aren't very bright and/or manager told them to slow the game down (making it a 60 min games as KR told us Big Sam done when KR was his assistant) and just following orders
    To be fair to him though he was waiting for the whistle and put his hands in the air to ask the ref if it was ok to go. The ref was the dim one here in my opinion.