Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hughes Sacked at Stoke (ed. New Southampton manager)

2»

Comments

• Uboat said:

In for Gary Rowett is being reported in today's paper. Would be gutting for Derby but great to see a young English manager given a chance.

If I was Gary Rowett I would stay where I was. There's a real possibility Stoke will be in the championship next year and Derby in the Prem.
    Plus there will be a possibility he'll last 10-games and be sacked too... Stoke isnt a great club to inherit so be better for him to take Derby up and have zero survival expectations, with anything from 17th upwards being a bonus
  • Uboat said:

In for Gary Rowett is being reported in today's paper. Would be gutting for Derby but great to see a young English manager given a chance.

If I was Gary Rowett I would stay where I was. There's a real possibility Stoke will be in the championship next year and Derby in the Prem.
    Plus there will be a possibility he'll last 10-games and be sacked too... Stoke isnt a great club to inherit so be better for him to take Derby up and have zero survival expectations, with anything from 17th upwards being a bonus
    Stoke do not sack managers after 10 games.

• Hughes is like Pardew. Although his bounce spell at the start lasts longer - he always declines.
  • Uboat said:

Rowett is a good manager. Got royally screwed by the idiots running Brum, has gone to Derby and quietly got them back in a better position than they were with a McLaren etc

I think he would be a good choice for Stoke
  • Uboat said:

I can certainly see that point but.........if Rowett did make the move i've no doubt Stoke would survive and Derby blow promotion again.

Plus Stoke have a decent owner and backing so even if he made the move and Stoke did go down, i think they'd be far more likely to do a Newcastle than a Norwich/Sunderland.
  • His record at stoke was impressive but obviously the wheels came off in the end.

Not the worst thing in the world after 4 years.

They will probably go down. Can't think of a manager that's front runner to fill the boots.
  • Hughes back to Wales?????
  • Derby and Stoke are pretty comparable size wise, the big difference is that Stoke are already in the PL and thus benefitting from years of PL money.

With Stoke's wealthy and "sensible" owners, they don't look like a club that would implode if relegated, so it's a relatively riskless job to take
  • Derby and Stoke are pretty comparable size wise, the big difference is that Stoke are already in the PL and thus benefitting from years of PL money.

With Stoke's wealthy and "sensible" owners, they don't look like a club that would implode if relegated, so it's a relatively riskless job to take

Spot on.

Rowett would be a popular choice but I doubt it will be him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hughes could have the distinction of managing two sides in the same PL season, both of which are relegated.

Mind you, Pardew has managed three of the bottom four and five of the bottom nine in his career. An awful lot of clubs have previously bought into his bullshit. Four wins from his last 32 matches at Palace and WBA suggests that the word is getting out to players that he really doesn't know what he's talking about.

• Southampton are doomed under Hughes. They're not a good fit at all.
  • When we were in the First Division at Selhurst I think Billy McNeil managed Manchester City at the start of the season and then went to Aston Villa, both got relegated that season.
  • Hughes could have the distinction of managing two sides in the same PL season, both of which are relegated.

Mind you, Pardew has managed three of the bottom four and five of the bottom nine in his career. An awful lot of clubs have previously bought into his bullshit. Four wins from his last 32 matches at Palace and WBA suggests that the word is getting out to players that he really doesn't know what he's talking about.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the crap manager roundabout. Hughes and Pardew have both singularly failed to.acgieve, hopefully the end of both, and of chairman paying these chumps big money after each successive failure.
    Exactly this.

I'd like to see some of the bottom half premier league clubs next season starting to give chances to top championship managers like Rowett, Wilder and Lee Johnson. And Everton should get rid of Allardyce and look forward, perhaps bring in someone like Eddie Howe.

The likes of Allardyce, Pardew, Pulis and Hughes have had their day.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the crap manager roundabout. Hughes and Pardew have both singularly failed to.acgieve, hopefully the end of both, and of chairman paying these chumps big money after each successive failure.
    Exactly this.

I'd like to see some of the bottom half premier league clubs next season starting to give chances to top championship managers like Rowett, Wilder and Lee Johnson. And Everton should get rid of Allardyce and look forward, perhaps bring in someone like Eddie Howe.

The likes of Allardyce, Pardew, Pulis and Hughes have had their day.
    Pulis could still get Boro promoted.

Agreed. They’re tired old faces with little idea of what it takes these days. Hughes comes across as someone who doesn’t care, Pardew has been shit since he left Newcastle. Even Paul Lambert who I put has having bit more dignity than the other two is a bit of a nothing manager
  • Allardyce and Pullis are still quality managers imo. Pardew and Hughes I agree about though.
  • Seems like Southampton and les Reed have run out of ideas. Seems like they’re almost doomed to relegation now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stoke looked better today that Soton yesterday, but are still toothless up front. Maybe in the Championship Berahino may actually score a goal!
  • edited April 2018
    I was at the emirates today and thought stoke looked better than bottom 3. That said, Arsenal were dire for the first hour
  • Taxi_Lad said:

I was at the emirates today and thought stoke looked better than bottom 3. That said, Arsenal were dire for the first hour

The Arsenal crowd figures are more laughable than the ones Charlton issue! I guess a lot of season ticket holders preferred to go for a walk or do some gardening today instead...
  • Looked like 30,000 at the match.
  • Hope Southampton survive but it looks dire, my Grandad was a season ticket holder many a year ago so always had a soft spot for them, seen us win at the Old Dell and the new ground, loved the Old Dell as a ground. As for Hughes living off his playing reputation not a good manager.