Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Discussion: Charlton v Oldham

Comments

• Rob7Lee said:

Was a poor game by two poor teams. Oldham are the worst team I've seen at the Valley this year.

The ONLY plus is we got three points.

Bereft of ideas on how to penetrate the opposition, Kashi often coming behind the defence to collect the ball, almost every pass went sideways to the extent that Oldham knew where the ball was going by the time it got out wide there were two of them waiting to deal with it.

Magennis is so off form he needs to not only have a rest but be dropped, he's been ineffective for a long while now. I still think KHG will come good, i'd play him and Mavididi in a front two.

The midfield don't seem to able able to pick a forward pass, Ricky aside from his screamer in the first few minutes is also out of form.

Mavididi and KHG need to start running along the line and the midfield find them, both have pace to burn.

Play Jacko next week.

Amos got us the three points with a couple of fantastic saves, glad to see BFG back we looked a better defensive unit with him in it.

Yet if Magennis had missed the chance that KAG did...
  • Another win on our late charge into the play offs I’ll see all you moaners at Wembley mark my words COYR
  • Sometimes I read posts on here and I wonder if there are some Palace or Millwall fans using aliases and having a laugh.
  • edited January 2018
    A lucky win, but I'll take any points we can get right now.

Edit - I say luck, was a piece of class that separated the two teams.

A match that we could have so easily thrown away.
  • edited January 2018
    On holiday, bad internet connection, crashed before kick off due to excellent winery near by. Reading the match thread and post match comments I get the impression this was a repeat of Gillingham garnished with Mavididi. I'm now convinced we need a new manager.
  • Righto, my twopenneth worth..........

As someone posted on here a week ago, we seem to have one good 45 & one bad - usually its a bad first half & have to up the tempo in the 2nd half because we are 1 down. Today was the opposite - very bright for the first 30 mins with Holmes hitting the bar & Mavvy getting a great goal but then started to drift & the 2nd 45 mins was painful to watch. I can't think of many teams that being 1-0 up, at home, playing a team near the bottom, would surrender possession so much in one half. It was woeful. I have now worked out KR's formation today; 5-4-1. Kasho was so deep he played as a fifth defender & mavididi took Fosu's place a wide player. Just such a shame that our "1" up front is so immobile, inept & devoid of passion.

Apart from 10 seconds of magic from Mavvy the highlight of the afternoon was the crossbar challenge winner. He got closer to the goal than Magennis did all game. The sooner a new owner comes in & sweeps KR out with the rest of the buffoons the better. If he can stand on the touchline during that 2nd half & not decide to do anything for half an hour then he deserves to go. Me & Golfie Jnr could see after just 3 mins of the re-start that Oldham had come out with more intensity & desire, but he just stood there and watch us defend deeper & deeper. At one point I though our back line were going to end up in the Jimmy Seed with the Oldham fans.

AS for the players themselves. I thought Bauer & Lennon looked good together & a more solid unit than in recent weeks. Da Silva was excellent as usual, just a shame he hasn't got a right foot as he'd be lethal when cutting inside. Holmes looked up for it & I love seeing Aribo making those surging runs with the ball - again just a shame he decides to pass instead of shooting. Mavvy was better than I thought he'd be, but I still fear that he is not a natural striker & see him in more in a Fosu mould. Amos & Marshall ok & Konsa is not a RB. The rest are not worth talking about.
  • I saw the result last night and was quite happy. I've read this thread this morning and my mood has changed somewhat!

• Righto, my twopenneth worth..........

As someone posted on here a week ago, we seem to have one good 45 & one bad - usually its a bad first half & have to up the tempo in the 2nd half because we are 1 down. Today was the opposite - very bright for the first 30 mins with Holmes hitting the bar & Mavvy getting a great goal but then started to drift & the 2nd 45 mins was painful to watch. I can't think of many teams that being 1-0 up, at home, playing a team near the bottom, would surrender possession so much in one half. It was woeful. I have now worked out KR's formation today; 5-4-1. Kasho was so deep he played as a fifth defender & mavididi took Fosu's place a wide player. Just such a shame that our "1" up front is so immobile, inept & devoid of passion.

Apart from 10 seconds of magic from Mavvy the highlight of the afternoon was the crossbar challenge winner. He got closer to the goal than Magennis did all game. The sooner a new owner comes in & sweeps KR out with the rest of the buffoons the better. If he can stand on the touchline during that 2nd half & not decide to do anything for half an hour then he deserves to go. Me & Golfie Jnr could see after just 3 mins of the re-start that Oldham had come out with more intensity & desire, but he just stood there and watch us defend deeper & deeper. At one point I though our back line were going to end up in the Jimmy Seed with the Oldham fans.

AS for the players themselves. I thought Bauer & Lennon looked good together & a more solid unit than in recent weeks. Da Silva was excellent as usual, just a shame he hasn't got a right foot as he'd be lethal when cutting inside. Holmes looked up for it & I love seeing Aribo making those surging runs with the ball - again just a shame he decides to pass instead of shooting. Mavvy was better than I thought he'd be, but I still fear that he is not a natural striker & see him in more in a Fosu mould. Amos & Marshall ok & Konsa is not a RB. The rest are not worth talking about.

The rest being Kashi?

Club’s in a mess. I know fan base is split on KR, but I doubt he told the team to sit back and let Oldham come at us like that. I’d still give him a chance after the takeover, with a bit of backing. In his time with us he’s spent bugger all thanks to our magnificent owner. Chopping and changing managers is one of the things that has be wrong with the club in recent years.

Having said all that his over reliance on Mag is driving me bonkers, as are the rigid tactics (although I think he has changed formations from time to time, just too late in matches).
    Mag was great in defence again yesterday though, which I think is why Karl won’t sub him.

I won’t be devastated if Karl is ditched by new owners, but I’ll feel he’s not really had a chance, with the weak squad, and all the injuries.
  • After reflection the performance was extremely poor, but I really hope it was caused by everyone being nervous after not winning in almost two months.

Oldham, were very poor and will be frustrated that they missed two good chances, which were excellent saves by Amos.

Plenty groans of frustration by Charlton fans throughout the match, caused by square passes between Kashi, Lennon and Bauer. In addition to, us getting further and further deeper in the second half.

Magennis was never involved in the game. Ended up playing left wing towards the end with KAG up top.

Lennon’s forward passing was very poor and regularly gave the ball away.

Overall, very relieved to get the three points. Fortunately, we have two winnerable matches coming up whilst waiting for Fosu, Pearce and Solly to return.

• Sponsored links:

• Missed It said:

I actually nodded off at one point during today's game. That's all there is to say about it.

A question though. Could somebody explain to me how this 4-3-2-1 system is supposed to work, I don't have any football coaching badges so maybe I'm missing something cunning!

All I'm seeing is two centre halfs a mile apart with Kashi between them making pointless sideways passes. The full backs and midfielders clumped together on the wings with vast expanses of the centre of the pitch devoid of Charlton players until you see Magennis huffing and puffing ineffectually up front on his own.

It's more like

3 3

and they simply refuse to play through the middle. I can't figure out what they're supposed to be doing but I'm sure they're doing it wrong.

For the simple explanation, just look back to before our bad run when something was clearly working.
  • edited January 2018

After reflection the performance was extremely poor, but I really hope it was caused by everyone being nervous after not winning in almost two months.

Oldham, were very poor and will be frustrated that they missed two good chances, which were excellent saves by Amos.

Plenty groans of frustration by Charlton fans throughout the match, caused by square passes between Kashi, Lennon and Bauer. In addition to, us getting further and further deeper in the second half.

Magennis was never involved in the game. Ended up playing left wing towards the end with KAG up top.

Overall, very relieved to get the three points. Fortunately, we have two winnerable matches coming up whilst waiting for Fosu, Pearce and Solly to return.

[Thumbs up emoji]

Sarr was injured. He can pass the ball. Pearce also injured, so Lennon is third choice isn’t he, and he’s still young. But his passing was way off what we needed.
    We also need Mag to get the flu so we can try something else (and give him a rest)
    I keep mentioning (sorry) that up at Boundary Park we did great without him and scored four goals.
  • We won, tell us how

No idea. We tried hard to give it away in the second half though, defending was suicidal at times. Their keeper spent most of the second half in the centre circle, so he didn't think we were capable of getting out of their area, and for long periods we could't. Why were not not attacking from the start of the second half? We were playing Oldham, not Wigan. Can only blame robinson for that, he did nothing to encourage anyone to get forward. Don't be fooled by a win, we were still dire at times, and a better team would have taken advantage. Those who stayed away were right to do so.
  • edited January 2018
    Can anyone remind me of the two Amos saves? I remember the one at his near post which saved with his chest but what was the other one?

It was a crap game. I have no problem with the slow build up because it seems to get us into their half but then there has to be more drive to get forward. Several times Konsa and Aribo went back without even looking forward (where there were forward options).

Defensively we were ok. Bauer was excellent, with a number of interceptions and loads of powerful headers. Lennon was less convincing (his forward passing is so much weaker than Sarr's) but he did his bit defensively.

Aribo had his worst game for a while and did very little until a late surge of involvement. He could have shot after beating the first man but at least showed great composure to set up Grant.

Marshall struggled on the ball but was good when chasing back. Holmes put plenty of effort in and a couple of good tackles. Last season his early long shot would've gone in. However, lately it's not really been running for him.

Magennis got almost no service but the effort was there. His defensive heading was crucial to holding on for the win.

Mavididi gave an encouraging performance. His early booking seemed to hold him back for a while but his goal was superb. He seems to have bulked up a bit since last season.

As others have said, if we can get Fosu and Mavividi playing in the same front three, with Holmes driving behind Magennis, then we should start to look more fluid and entertaining. Keeping Bauer fit and available is crucial too.
  • redman said:

Rob7Lee said:

Was a poor game by two poor teams. Oldham are the worst team I've seen at the Valley this year.

The ONLY plus is we got three points.

Bereft of ideas on how to penetrate the opposition, Kashi often coming behind the defence to collect the ball, almost every pass went sideways to the extent that Oldham knew where the ball was going by the time it got out wide there were two of them waiting to deal with it.

Magennis is so off form he needs to not only have a rest but be dropped, he's been ineffective for a long while now. I still think KHG will come good, i'd play him and Mavididi in a front two.

The midfield don't seem to able able to pick a forward pass, Ricky aside from his screamer in the first few minutes is also out of form.

Mavididi and KHG need to start running along the line and the midfield find them, both have pace to burn.

Play Jacko next week.

Amos got us the three points with a couple of fantastic saves, glad to see BFG back we looked a better defensive unit with him in it.

Yet if Magennis had missed the chance that KAG did...
    The fact is Magennis would not have got the chance. He;s not quick enough so would have been 10 yards behind at best. People ignore the fact that most of KAG's chances are created by his movement and pace. Give him 90 minutes up front please!
    Agreed. Best looked threatening in his cameo v Gillingham because he had the movement and pace to get in behind the defence. Same with KAG yesterday.

But in a team that lacks height, Magennis is crucial at the other end. I'm sure Oldham picked their tallest players yesterday, so I think it was right that Magennis was left on.
  • On the Aribo chance

5 mins previous he was making a 60 yd recovery run and looked like he was knackered and running in treacle.

He then got that attacking run and he was running at the defender and you could see in his face was shagged and I think he surprised himself getting into the position to shoot, and I honestly think he was too tired to shoot.

I think if he'd have been tackled and won a corner he'd have been happy.

He wasn't scared to shoot, just too tired.

He is a very good prospect
  • Not exactly a classic or impressive but an important win nonetheless which ends the recent barren run and despite a string of poor performances keeps us very much in the Play-Off hunt. I'd just like to see a bit more tempo in our play and more attacking intent. Playing just the 1 upfront means that even if big Josh does win the ball there is little he can do with it with little or no support. Better teams than Oldham would have made us pay yesterday and unless things improve mid table mediocrity beckons.
  • Sponsored links:

• addick05 said:

RedChaser said:

Just seen the KAG chance late on after Aribo done brilliant setting him up. He has to strike that first time instead of taking a touch, poor miss.

Yes, but why didn't Aribo shoot himself? He beat the defender and cut inside... and passed!
    Suicide is rarely the answer, tbf.
    If I'd had a gun with me I would have probably have used it on myself!
  • Simonsen said:

Can anyone remind me of the two Amos saves? I remember the one at his near post which saved with his chest but what was the other one?

It was a crap game. I have no problem with the slow build up because it seems to get us into their half but then there has to be more drive to get forward. Several times Konsa and Aribo went back without even looking forward (where there were forward options).

Defensively we were ok. Bauer was excellent, with a number of interceptions and loads of powerful headers. Lennon was less convincing (his forward passing is so much weaker than Sarr's) but he did his bit defensively.

Aribo had his worst game for a while and did very little until a late surge of involvement. He could have shot after beating the first man but at least showed great composure to set up Grant.

Marshall struggled on the ball but was good when chasing back. Holmes put plenty of effort in and a couple of good tackles. Last season his early long shot would've gone in. However, lately it's not really been running for him.

Magennis got almost no service but the effort was there. His defensive heading was crucial to holding on for the win.

Mavididi gave an encouraging performance. His early booking seemed to hold him back for a while but his goal was superb. He seems to have bulked up a bit since last season.

As others have said, if we can get Fosu and Mavividi playing in the same front three, with Holmes driving behind Magennis Best, KAG or a new signing, with Mag as back up, then we should start to look more fluid and entertaining. Keeping Bauer fit and available is crucial too.

Agree with almost all of that, although if we want promotion not sure Mag is mobile enough and doesn’t score enough. Also thought Aribo had a good game.
  • After reflection the performance was extremely poor, but I really hope it was caused by everyone being nervous after not winning in almost two months.

And when they return is that going to solve the seemingly insolvable problem....scoring goals!?
  • Started reading the posts on this thread but decided to give my two pennorth sooner rather than later.

Whilst I accept that it's stated whatever is going on behind the scenes at our football club should not directly impact on the players & the level of their performance, that clearly is not the case here.

IMO those wearing the shirt this afternoon were affected by the problems that their gaffer expressed openly this afternoon pre match & which coloured his press day interview on Thursday...ie the lack of incoming to bolster their beleaguered squad under the current owner and his immediate future following his decision to "tell it like it is".

Earlier in the season, we noted the positive team spirit within the group, engendered by Robbo, together with JJ & Bow.

Whether this began to suffer once results faltered & further injuries played their part, I'm unsure but JJ alone would have been instrumental in keeping everyone together as much as possible under the circumstances.

However, over past weeks, the pressure exerted by failing to win or even draw matches would have intensified whilst rumours, gossip and indeed some hard facts regarding the future of our club, our manager and indirectly the players themselves would have been difficult to ignore. Of course, this is part & parcel of being a professional footballer today but we shouldn't forget that we have a young squad with several unused to such issues with at least one of their number wondering whether his future lies elsewhere....

Then, barely a week ago, our CEO jumped ship, and RD wasted little time in confirming what we already knew...the club IS for sale. A backs to the wall, spirited performance in Wigan made me think that the lads & their management team had turned a corner but the poor showings on New Year's Day and again this afternoon were not indicative of a united team.

I was as vocal as the next fan in criticising the lack of movement off the ball and the times we failed to close down the opposition when it looked so simple. And to give KAG so few minutes on the pitch appeared to be an error on Robbo's part for those few seated around me. Another disjointed, lacklustre display from a team that needs a swift conclusion to the current upheaval as we do.

So, what I'm trying to say (and doing very poorly) is that I'm viewing today as more than just another in a long line of "bad days at the office" due to the extenuating circumstances in which EVERYONE linked with this club finds themselves at this moment in time.We all want, nay, need this to change NOW before the spirit and spark of optimism that still remains is extinguished. It's been said time & time again ( and probably engraved on the heart of every Addick) that it's the hope that kills you. The nightmeire we've lived in for the past 4 years must soon be over.

And a new era for all concerned will dawn and the work both on & off the pitch will begin again.

I, for one, believe the players will step up to the plate when the that time arrives.

Keep the faith.

Wise words yet again Fanny
  • Thanks, @robroy.

I posted last night in the knowledge that most Lifers wouldn't see /agree with my point of view. But that's never stopped me before...

Maybe I was being a tad generous to the players but what goes on in their heads must have some impact on the way they play.

Maybe I'm just being a Mum/Nan & seeking to excuse their performances as I would with my own kids in a similar situation.

I KNOW it's their job and that most are paid a handsome wage to do it.

But there are few "old heads" out there on the pitch to counsel & support the younger players , especially when JJ is absent. And I didn't see much evidence that Kashi played a captain's role.

So, I'm basically cutting them all a bit of slack in the hope that by the time they travel to Bury, the takeover will be announced and the managerial situation made clear one way or the other.

That's when I'd expect performances to improve and the excuses to be redundant.
  • Three points, great goal and that's it, another team would have beat us blind in the second half we were abysmal, sitting back and allowing them to come onto us. By the way which coaching genius thinks its a great idea to have 11 back at corners, we win the ball and there is no outlet. At one point their goalkeeper was playing in our half......unbelievable.
  • Three points, great goal and that's it, another team would have beat us blind in the second half we were abysmal, sitting back and allowing them to come onto us. By the way which coaching genius thinks its a great idea to have 11 back at corners, we win the ball and there is no outlet. At one point their goalkeeper was playing in our half......unbelievable.

Every manager we've ever had done this

Jackson - and he's very proud of the fact.