Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Discussion: Charlton v Oldham

Comments

• Options
    Pretty dire fare. Disjointed. Why did they sit back in the second half? Were they nervous? I guess they’re out of the winning habit.
    Good goal by Mav though.
    KAG is learning to get into decent positions. The goalie blocked his chance. I wouldn’t call it a miss. Goals will come. Start him please.

Well pleased for Mavididi. First goal takes the pressure off. Just wish we had someone who could pass properly, to set him up. Actually we do. Joe Aribo!

Thank god for the three points. We won a game!
  • Options
    Relieved that we got the three points. It was dull but we got what we needed.

Going to enjoy the win and reflect tomorrow on what was a very poor match
  • Options
    Not a lot to add really (that hasn't already been spoken about), but thought Dasilva was excellent today
  • Options

No less bored than the Gills game. Thankfully I was 15mins late for this one so only had to suffer 75mins of it.

I was 90 mins late.................
  • Options
    Which team was Barnsley?
  • Options
    End of a bad run, but still in touch with the play-offs.

Oxford have caught up having been off the pace before Christmas - a decent run for us and Portsmouth/Bradford could be catchable.

However bad we are, it seems like Shrews, Blackburn and Wigan are the only teams with class and depth enough to plough on. The rest are as bad as we are.
  • Options
    Delighted to get the win, nice goal but we made a very average side look half decent.
  • Options

Defiantly not on drugs.

I watch all the games on IFollow as live in Milan. That said I have seen us ‘live’ four times this season.

I watch the game with sound down and hence don’t have the influence of any external factors. I’m not sure if that makes me more ‘positive’??? It certainly means I make my own mind up on what I am watching.

I have always thought myself as a good judge of player.

I stand by that KAG is important to us and will be increasingly so as Josh continues to be a blunt force upfront. His best work is done when defending corners. He would be a terrific centre half.

Yes it’s different with the sound down.

Mind you, the sound was down at The Valley today.

Good for you for sticking to your guns. I’m less positive than you about today, but good to hear a variety of opinions. And the players were trying - they looked desperate for the 3 points. Maybe too desperate?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We Won.
    We are shit.
    We know we are shit.
    I'm glad I went fishing.
    Ps it bloody freezing had to break the ice.
  • Options
    Wins a win but that was as poor a performance from us this season that I can remember. Oldham were also very poor but dominated the 2nd half which was a big worry.
  • Options
    Before the game I was going to write something sarcastic on the preview thread about looking forward to our sideways passing across the pitch in our half but didn't because I thought it too negative. Blimey! I didn't count but in the first half alone we must have made at least 100 'going nowhere' sideways passes. Whenever Kasha or Lennon tried a through ball it went off for a goal kick. Pretty dire I thought but at least Mavididi had scored a great goal and Holmes hit the bar with a rocket shot. We clapped them off at half time.
    Second half we sat back and they were odds on to score but didn't thanks to good goalkeeping by Amos. We completely lost our shape and defended desperately against a very poor Oldham side who suddenly had confidence in themselves. Somehow we held out but please don't think that we will be anywhere near the top six with this awful tippy tappy formation. We need to be more direct at times. Odd thought...I rather missed Sarr today. I think he would have played better than Lennon against their big forward.
  • Options
    I thought KAG did very well when he came on. Ran the channel down our RHS well, put a great cross on to JJ's head and had two shots on target. Would love to see KAG and Mavii play up front together.
  • Options
    30 seconds of magic, the rest dross from both sides. Gobby really does need a Plan B - why is he so scared of doing something different?
  • Options
    Best goal I've seen for some time but he can't be expected to do that every week and I can't see where any other goals are coming from so this seems like an aberration in a season that's dying on its feet.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Well there were some positives and not surprisingly some negatives - I think when Fosu is added to the mix, we do have a threat with the young Arsenal lad and hopefully Holmes. I agree with those that are saying Magennis is playing rubbish, but he has impressed me in earlier games and something is clearly not right. He isn't a 20 goal a season striker, but he has shown he can be effective, but not recently! Why?

I think Sarr is a better bet than Lennon, but needs and experienced player beside him - Bauer and Sarr should be the way to go. Da Silva is a great player at this level.

I was so so about it when we signed Amos, but I think he is really showing what he can do and is vying with Fosu for our player of the season so far.

We need players who can beat opponents with the system we play and we do seem to have a few of those. Now we have to get the machine clicking. The sooner Fosu is back and 100 per cent the better. The challenge is we find it too hard to score and the deckchairs may need a bit of re-arranging to change this. Ok we can't buy any more strikers, but Mav, Fosu, Magennis, and Holmes ought to be a collective force at this level.

A few additions and a play-off place would be nailed on IMO, but we have to grind our way to this if it doesn't happen. It isn't impossible and hopefully we can send this terrible owner into history and stuff our success thereafter in his wrinkled face!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sm said:

30 seconds of magic, the rest dross from both sides. Gobby really does need a Plan B - why is he so scared of doing something different?

Think he found Plan B today, Woolwich Jobcentre Plus.
  • Options
    sm said:

He did. In the second half we abandoned all formations.
  • Options
    Few more points and we should be safe.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Was a poor game by two poor teams. Oldham are the worst team I've seen at the Valley this year.

The ONLY plus is we got three points.

Bereft of ideas on how to penetrate the opposition, Kashi often coming behind the defence to collect the ball, almost every pass went sideways to the extent that Oldham knew where the ball was going by the time it got out wide there were two of them waiting to deal with it.

Magennis is so off form he needs to not only have a rest but be dropped, he's been ineffective for a long while now. I still think KHG will come good, i'd play him and Mavididi in a front two.

The midfield don't seem to able able to pick a forward pass, Ricky aside from his screamer in the first few minutes is also out of form.

Mavididi and KHG need to start running along the line and the midfield find them, both have pace to burn.

Play Jacko next week.

Amos got us the three points with a couple of fantastic saves, glad to see BFG back we looked a better defensive unit with him in it.

I really don't think Jackson starting matches is the way to go, however if we're in a similar situation next week (I.e winning narrowly and our backs against the wall) then he should be on the pitch much, much sooner to try and bring some organisation to the mad house that Robinson's tactical vacuum seems to create.
  • Options

End of a bad run, but still in touch with the play-offs.

Oxford have caught up having been off the pace before Christmas - a decent run for us and Portsmouth/Bradford could be catchable.

However bad we are, it seems like Shrews, Blackburn and Wigan are the only teams with class and depth enough to plough on. The rest are as bad as we are.

Plymouth are the form team in league one at the minute and could chase down sixth place just to add another into the mix
  • Options

The worst team anyone has seen at the Valley this season is Charlton....

No contest mate.