Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Coaching and Corner Taking

2»

Comments

• Markg2004 said:

I'm sure Robinson recently said corners were part of Jacko's coaching.

Obviously not clearing the first man is the corner takers and not Jackson's fault. But not leaving a man up field when defending a corner would be. That irritates me no end.

Defending corners I believe is what he said. Therefore the extra man up field missing is Jacko's choice, but will have been cleared by Robinson.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Markg2004 said:

Obviously not clearing the first man is the corner takers and not Jackson's fault. But not leaving a man up field when defending a corner would be. That irritates me no end.

Defending corners I believe is what he said. Therefore the extra man up field missing is Jacko's choice, but will have been cleared by Robinson.
    Yep - came up at the Bromley meeting & Robinson actually called Jacko to say that some fans were moaning that we don't leave anyone up when defending a corner. Jacko was very indignant & said that we hadn't conceded for (blank) games and so we should be pleased.

So, blame Jacko & Robinson that we don't have a breakaway when defending one.
  • Bloody Jacko...

JACKSON OUT :wink:
  • Defending a corner.
    I would leave fast players, Dasilva and Kag/Marshall up, because the Charlton players just get in each other way plus the opposition would then have to keep at least two players back.

Attacking a corner.
    JBG corners were average, and rarely beat the first man. (at Charlton not Burnley) plus Ricky's corners have got worse since that goal against the shrews last season at home.
    Better to go back post where defenders have to look over their shoulders or penalty spot where the keeper might get caught in no mans land.
  • edited January 2018
    Markg2004 said:

Curbs used to get everybody back, and we didn't concede from corners too often. It's the 'first do no harm' approach.

• JiMMy 85 said:

Markg2004 said:

Curbs used to get everybody back, and we didn't concede from corners too often. It's the 'first do no harm' approach.

I'd do the same, conceding goals from set pieces hugely upsets me.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Markg2004 said:

I'm in the opposite camp. Leave at least 1 on the halfway line & another between there & the box. Let the opposition work out what they're going to do & drags more of them back into midfield. Having no-one at least 10 yards from the box just invites the ball to come straight back again & also leads to too many bodies in the penalty area all fighting for it.

Best form of defence is attack.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Bloody Jacko...

JACKSON OUT :wink:

I know you're joking but this is a flagable offense in my book. You have been warned.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Markg2004 said:

I'm in the opposite camp. Leave at least 1 on the halfway line & another between there & the box. Let the opposition work out what they're going to do & drags more of them back into midfield. Having no-one at least 10 yards from the box just invites the ball to come straight back again & also leads to too many bodies in the penalty area all fighting for it.

Best form of defence is attack.
    Always lesve one up, especially when behind in the match.

Quick wingers. Means the opposition usually leaves 2 or 3 back too.
  • LuckyReds said:

For me, the advantage from a corner is that your players ought to know where the ball is going and your opponents don't. I read an interesting book on football statistics which suggested that a corner was far less of a big deal than fans make of it and that there is a risk of losing a goal to a counter attack. That is why managers like Mourinho are not that bothered about corners.

When you have a particular strength or your opponent has a particular weakness in that area it can change of course. The issue then is, if your opponent has a 6ft 9 keeper for instance, why give him meat and drink balls to catch?

That's quite an interesting tidbit there, Muttley. It reminds me of the book "Freakonomics", which begins with a really interesting study in to the statistics behind penalties. Essentially your best bet is to smash the ball straight down the center, as statistically it's unlikely for the keeper to remain rooted to the same spot. The only reason this doesn't happen often is because - psychologically - it takes a huge amount of confidence, and has the risk of making the player appear stupid.

Personally I always find the excitement over corners a bit odd - don't get me wrong, I certainly get caught up in it myself - but it seems to be pot luck based on whether you can find the right coloured shirt in an overcrowded penalty box, and then further pot luck based upon whether the targetman has a clear sight of goal... in an overcrowded penalty box. (Although Jacko seemed to have a penchant for being in the right place to use his head.)

Nah, give me open play with the ability to create room and make space any day.
    I recall a cup semi final in my younger playing days where I whacked a penalty (in a penalty shoot out) as hard as I could down the middle and I hit it so well, the opposing keeper couldn't get out of the way of it! It cost us a place in the final. Thanks for reminding me of that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing new, this thread is from 10 years ago.
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/20270/corners-again#latest

The only thing worse than a poorly delivered corner is defending one with 11 players! At least CAFC stopped doing that in May 2006.
  • Most goalkeeping coaches hit a dead ball cross very well during the warm ups. Perhaps they should be used to coach more players.
  • I believe there is a lot of psychology behind not beating the first man at the near post as well as poor technique. I recently read that because hitting at the near post and flicking on to score is the quickest and what people see first, it often leads to that type of ball in the box. Strange but there does seem to be something in it psychologically and we should be aiming to ping it around the penalty spot, that will make a big difference.

On a different note, I am personally tired of the same type of corner from Charlton year after year. It’s actually a breath of fresh air when opposition teams have came to us in the past and been inventive. Bournemouth and Brighton have done it and been very good at them. Play it on the floor, have a different set up, different runs, drill it in, do something different! Not just something so predictable and easy to defend.

What annoys me is yes we don’t have a massive team in height but we have Magennis, Sarr, Bauer, Lennon, Aribo, or even 3/4 of those for example, that’s enough to be inventive and create space for these players to try and score.
  • Another game full of unthreatening corners, at least they cleared the first man, but instead the keeper caught them all.
  • Further to my comment yesterday,Holmes took 3 corners in quick succession,number 1 and 3 claimed by keeper, no 2 cut out near post,improved a bit after that,but never looked like producing anything.
  • Corners any better tonight?

I predict the answer will be no.

we didn't score from one so I'd say no.
  • edited January 2018
    JiMMy 85 said:

Markg2004 said:

I believe it was Curbs who said, that if you get everybody back in the box it crowds out opponents.
    All well and good - except there's no outlet. Any clearance just comes back with the opposition and you're under pressure again.

I'm definitely a fan of leaving a nippy player on the halfway line, drawing 2 defenders across the width of the pitch - and giving us an outlet to break on the counter.

Yes they were.