Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robinson fears he can make no further signings (Jan 4th)

Comments

• Ross said:

no surprise if anything this is the time to prove his worth to new owners, as if he carries on with current form 1st thing id be doing as new owner is to give him the sack. not defending the guy but if i was Roland i would do exactly the same, and as a prospective new owner i would probably wait till after the transfer window as were pretty much safe in this league even if we draw ourselves to safety, players will return to fitness etc.

And we'll carry on with our current form without new bodies in. 1 fit striker won't bring us the goals. No reason to sack him now, as anyone else brought in will have the same squad.

so the points amassed at the start of the season?, why cant that same 11 bar clarke win games again.
    Because half of them are currently injured!
  • Ross said:

Ross said:

no surprise if anything this is the time to prove his worth to new owners, as if he carries on with current form 1st thing id be doing as new owner is to give him the sack. not defending the guy but if i was Roland i would do exactly the same, and as a prospective new owner i would probably wait till after the transfer window as were pretty much safe in this league even if we draw ourselves to safety, players will return to fitness etc.

And we'll carry on with our current form without new bodies in. 1 fit striker won't bring us the goals. No reason to sack him now, as anyone else brought in will have the same squad.

so the points amassed at the start of the season?, why cant that same 11 bar clarke win games again.
    that why in the post i clearly said "players will return to fitness etc."
  • One likely scenario would be take over happens early February, RD doesn't invest any more in the club in the meantime (why would he?), new owners are unable to bring in reinforcements, squad + manager go on auto-pilot and we tail off to a mid-table (or worse) finish.

I guess RD could sell Konsa (though not for £5m) and give Robinson some scraps from that to bring in 1-2 players?
  • Best out for a year? First I've seen that mentioned or have I missed that somewhere.
  • Ross said:

Cause Novaks gone
  • Best has been a disaster of a signing, I didn’t know he was out for a year??
  • edited January 2018

Ross said:

Ross said:

that why in the post i clearly said "players will return to fitness etc."
    Apologies, didn't fully read your post!

However, how long will it take them to return to fitness? By that point we could have slipped even further down the table, confidence starts to go etc.
  • edited January 2018

Of course it’s true that signings are never likely during a takeover, but this situation has been ongoing for many weeks. Due diligence was under way by early October, to my knowledge. Nothing else KR could do but plan, but it appears he was allowed to believe he would be able to make signings in January because, as he told us at the end of October, there was nothing happening. It’s not surprising he’s frustrated because he’s now having to stand his previous transfer window statements down. It’s also classic manager positioning to exert pressure on directors and locate the blame for outcomes on them.

This. I also believe that many of his comments during December were aimed at 'encouraging' the club to allow him to bring in more players. Nothing looked more obvious to me than only picking six subs for Southend - something that looked like it backfired on him when the team played so badly in the first half. He probably didn't even know that KM was leaving at that point and I suspect the six subs were to persuade her to release the purse strings.

There is no incentive, at all, for RD to strengthen the side - I'm slightly surprised that we even singed Mavididi. I also think that the price reduction will be offset by selling anyone that can raise cash. I suspect that if the deal doesn't go through before the end of the month we will be looking at last Monday's game and shuddering at the result. By the end of March, that could end up looking like a real relegation six pointer.
  • Think hes being honest there and it's no surprise. Could Murray reach into his pocket to keep this season going? Looks unlikely. Let's hope the buyers get this done fast. It's a bit of a mess right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018

Best out for a year? First I've seen that mentioned or have I missed that somewhere.

It's in the article in the OP, here you go;
    And Robinson was hardly upbeat when discussing the possibility of further additions. His striker options have been cut with Leon Best out for up to a year with a serious knee injury.
  • Limbo

Italian international?
    HR Manager
  • Of course it’s true that signings are never likely during a takeover, but this situation has been ongoing for many weeks. Due diligence was under way by early October, to my knowledge. Nothing else KR could do but plan, but it appears he was allowed to believe he would be able to make signings in January because, as he told us at the end of October, there was nothing happening. It’s not surprising he’s frustrated because he’s now having to stand his previous transfer window statements down. It’s also classic manager positioning to exert pressure on directors and locate the blame for outcomes on them.

The revenge of Meire.

I thought he only signed until the end of January.
    Or did I miss something

I thought he only signed until the end of January.
    Or did I miss something
    You're correct. Not a disaster, just a poor signing as he has done nothing really in his time with us.

Hardly a disaster. A high risk in terms of his injuries and lack of fitness but low risk on cost as short term contract.

I thought he looked promising when he played and gutted for him that he's picked up another serious injury.

I hope the club let him use the rehab facilities at Sparrows Lane when and if he needs them.
    You see, we do agree occasionally!

PS Having said that, I've swung slightly your way re Sarr & Robinson ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• When Robinson has no idea what’s going on at the club it really is a mess.

I just hope the takeover is dragging its heels due to the incompetence of RD/Meire , and doesn’t signal we are being bought by an equally inept owner.
  • edited January 2018
    JamesSeed said:

Best has been a disaster of a signing, I didn’t know he was out for a year??

Bit unkind. Thought he looked good, especially in his last two or three appearances. Picking up a massive injury while attempting to equalise on Saturday gives him a gold star in my book, and if his career is over because of it I think we owe him one.
    He's missed 5 or 6 gilt edged chances in 3 games
  • Utterly depressing but equally utterly predictable.

Would have been the same had there been no takeover discussions.

Exactly. Cant help think that Robinson knows this as well and is using the hard done by angle in that interview. He knew full well what he was in for when he joined.
    Not sure he did tbh. He was probably fed bullshit by KM and possibly RD, the same way the fans have been
  • No more signings. A terrible recent run of form. We've forgotten how to win games. The fans are divided about most things, although many/most are happy about the takeover.
    Lets hope this unfortunate set of circumstances might create a backs against the wall mentality (as displayed at Wigan, when we were real underdogs).
  • ''Roland Duchatelet not ready to spend''.

I don't think that he has ever been ready to spend unless
    we sell somebody first!
    We were warned by Standard Liege fans when he
    took over the club. Never has something been more accurate.
    Yet clowns on INTV site still admire him. i.e Reams and Bexleyboy!

Hardly a disaster. A high risk in terms of his injuries and lack of fitness but low risk on cost as short term contract.

I thought he looked promising when he played and gutted for him that he's picked up another serious injury.

I hope the club let him use the rehab facilities at Sparrows Lane when and if he needs them.
    I imagine the PFA may expect Charlton to pay Best while he is injured as he is a contracted player at the time of the injury, although it may be covered by insurance.
  • JamesSeed said:

Best has been a disaster of a signing, I didn’t know he was out for a year??

Bit unkind. Thought he looked good, especially in his last two or three appearances. Picking up a massive injury while attempting to equalise on Saturday gives him a gold star in my book, and if his career is over because of it I think we owe him one.
    He's missed 5 or 6 gilt edged chances in 3 games
    It's not *all* about stats when assessing players. We signed Ajose who's stats were good. I'd rate Best higher than Ajose.
    The difference between Best and Mag was that he often got himself into goal scoring positions (oh and can hold the ball up well, and has pace). And he kept doing it despite not scoring when he might have done. Also he had most of his chances saved or blocked.