Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Richard Murray - Time To Go!

Comments

• Point taken, I should have added with hindsight which is easy to say know he should have sold out whilst we were in the premiership when curbs went.

Maybe that again was another sign of poor judgement.

Poor judgement started in 2004 when he showed he didn't have the clout to maintain a top 6 Club..

What did he say and do about takeovers/investment requirements back then..?

#EgoGotTheBetterOfHim
  • Harsh on Murray as he has done a lot for the club. Yes he has buggered things up but we’re not perfect!

I understand Murray is part of the regime and it has damaged his reputation but I personally wouldn’t have a problem if he was involved with the next owners as he’ll influence decision making. What’s better to have someone in the board who knows the club well?
  • edited January 2018

DOUCHER said:

slagging varney off about what? to who? what financial risk for pv and sk? their salary? pv obviously did a great job but he was a paid employee - only so much risk involved there

Slater and Jimenez took legal action against Varney which they abandoned just before it got to court 12 months later. They unlawfully dismissed Kavanagh and it took 18 months before they agreed to compensate him, again on the brink of the case going before a judge.

Having spent a year fighting Slater myself - with the same outcome - I know how stressful that was for them regardless of the money involved. Do you see no value in any commodity but money?

Plenty on here know what Murray had to say, including at the Bromley meeting where he was challenged publicly by Wendy Perfect over remarks he made. I see no value in disinterring it all, because it’s well known.
    What was the reason why Varney left us at the end of the 07/08 season?
  • edited January 2018
    DiscoCAFC said:

DOUCHER said:

slagging varney off about what? to who? what financial risk for pv and sk? their salary? pv obviously did a great job but he was a paid employee - only so much risk involved there

Slater and Jimenez took legal action against Varney which they abandoned just before it got to court 12 months later. They unlawfully dismissed Kavanagh and it took 18 months before they agreed to compensate him, again on the brink of the case going before a judge.

Having spent a year fighting Slater myself - with the same outcome - I know how stressful that was for them regardless of the money involved. Do you see no value in any commodity but money?

Plenty on here know what Murray had to say, including at the Bromley meeting where he was challenged publicly by Wendy Perfect over remarks he made. I see no value in disinterring it all, because it’s well known.
    What was the reason why Varney left us at the end of the 07/08 season?
    Board meeting January 2008, which ended with Murray being removed from the plc chair by his fellow directors. Varney had a contractual right to leave on a change of control and decided the board had become unmanageable based on what went on that day.
  • Murray was a key part of the success of the club, along with others. He was also part of the failure - I suspect partly due to him believing how great a chairman he was. This might be a bit controversial, and I hate Palace as every Charlton fan should, but I thought the day we relegated them at the Valley, we were a bit classless. You can excuse the fans, but if what I have heard about Murray's behaviour is true, I felt he let himself down and the club if true. He has let himself down since IMO on numerous occasions but we should always remember the good he has done and the memories will live forever, but we also must accept that he has added many years of crap to all of that.

I have no problem with him being remembered for the good times, but do hope he takes a back seat going forwards. It will make it much easier for us to do this.
  • It's very clear that Murray has done a lot for the club over the years it would be churlish not to remember that and be thankful. However in more recent events, it's equally clear that he hasn't done a lot for the club either. What went on with Varney is, as Airman says, well documented and probably best left in the past if we are to focus on recent events and the future.
    For Murray to defend and support an owner and CEO who have been so neolithically incompetent in their running of CAFC is something for which he should be held to account. Murray knows more about the history of the club and its past inner workings than anyone else who is currently in a position of reponsibility - so why didn't he stand up for the history and tradition of the club that he professes to support? Surely he must realise that had he walked away or even stood his ground with Roland and Katrien some time back, the wheels would have fallen off. Whilst that could have caused a lot of damage to the club (which would probably be his reason for not doing so) it would have generated a way out of the mess and, I'd imagine, would have forced the hand of Roland to sell up and bugger off.
    Long rant cut short, had Murray shown the bollocks to stand up for what was right, we probably wouldn't be in the depth of mess we are in now - and he'd also have earned the support and admiration of the fan base for doing so in the process.
    It's all about choices in the end, and we can see which horse Murray backed in this race.
  • Long outstayed his welcome, did well for a time then completely lost his way. After choosing winners in Curbs and Varney he subsequently hasn't picked a winner since.

About as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.
  • LenGlover said:

It's become ever more evident to me that the best footballing decision Richard Murray made was to employ Alan Curbishley and back him.

His decision to reject Curbs' offer to see through his contract proved to be the beginning of the end and it has become ever more evident just how reliant we were on Curbs as a club.

The only (short lived) success we've had subsequently has been with a manager of similar temperament and ethos in Chris Powell.

If you are going to stick around Richard then get back to the basics that drove our success.

Yes you are right, but you could understand why he made it. I think the biggest problem was appointing Dowie to a role under a new structure. I don't think Dowie was a great manager, but he was a better manager than we give him credit for, but Murray didn't allow him to manage. He appointed Pardew and gave him the autonomy he didn't give Dowie. I think Dowie would have prpbably got the sack at some later point that season, but we would have probably survived as the players were still playing for him when he was sacked and the points that sent us down were lost under Reed. It was clear from his first game in charge that the players were no longer playing for the shirt!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    Bought into because he wanted the job but undermined as soon as he got the job. I'm not saying he was a great manager, and I think he would have been sacked, only it would have been better to miss out the Reed matches!
  • LenGlover said:

It's become ever more evident to me that the best footballing decision Richard Murray made was to employ Alan Curbishley and back him.

His decision to reject Curbs' offer to see through his contract proved to be the beginning of the end and it has become ever more evident just how reliant we were on Curbs as a club.

The only (short lived) success we've had subsequently has been with a manager of similar temperament and ethos in Chris Powell.

If you are going to stick around Richard then get back to the basics that drove our success.

Yes you are right, but you could understand why he made it. I think the biggest problem was appointing Dowie to a role under a new structure. I don't think Dowie was a great manager, but he was a better manager than we give him credit for, but Murray didn't allow him to manage. He appointed Pardew and gave him the autonomy he didn't give Dowie. I think Dowie would have prpbably got the sack at some later point that season, but we would have probably survived as the players were still playing for him when he was sacked and the points that sent us down were lost under Reed. It was clear from his first game in charge that the players were no longer playing for the shirt!
    Dowie's failure had nothing to do with the 3-man coaching structure (him, Reed, Robson), which was actually principally Peter Varney's creation, totally endorsed by both Boards, of course, and totally bought into by Dowie when he was recruited. It was nothing to do with Murray not allowing him to manage, which is fiction.
    Murray's sin, other than recruiting the potato-head to spite Jordan, was to give him a substantial (unfunded) transfer budget that he'd denied Curbs.
    A key objective was to keep out Dowie's brother, I believe.
  • edited January 2018
  • LenGlover said:

Dowie's failure had nothing to do with the 3-man coaching structure (him, Reed, Robson), which was actually principally Peter Varney's creation, totally endorsed by both Boards, of course, and totally bought into by Dowie when he was recruited. It was nothing to do with Murray not allowing him to manage, which is fiction.
    Murray's sin, other than recruiting the potato-head to spite Jordan, was to give him a substantial (unfunded) transfer budget that he'd denied Curbs.
    John Merrick
  • And he was rude to that nice mr Jordan...

Not as rude as I was.
  • LenGlover said:

Bob Dowie - bloody hell, there's a name I'd forgotten about.

Got Palace relegated from the Premiership as their Director of Football after his successful spells as manager at Hendon, Harrow, Aylesbury, Chesham and St Albans all of whom he lasted less than a season at.

Palace's Driesen.
  • Was he at Wembley, couldn’t see him in the royal box or was he scared like our owner?

Out of interest was there anyone from the regime present at the match?
  • Was he at Wembley, couldn’t see him in the royal box or was he scared like our owner?

Wasnt he visible wearing sunglasses behind the players when they lifted the trophy?
  • Yes he was there alongside the Parkes and Keith Peacock.

Yes he was there behind the players when they collected the cup. Clear as day.
  • Sponsored links:

• What was Curbs' role in the Royal Box, was he invited by the club or the EFL?
  • I would have assumed by the club. Would think the same goes for Paul Elliott who was also there.
    Ham & Cheese. 

BOOM
  • Richard was definitely there and dipped his hand in his pocket for the players and staff to have a party after the game
  • Is there going to be a Victory parade?
    Representative of the new owner. :wink:
  • Stig said:
    What was Curbs' role in the Royal Box, was he invited by the club or the EFL?
    Representative of the new owner. :wink:
    Or was that Paul Elliott’s role?
  • Swisdom said:
    Richard was definitely there and dipped his hand in his pocket for the players and staff to have a party after the game
    Anyone got HMRCs number?