Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Richard Murray - Time To Go!

With Katrien Meire leaving Charlton and Roland about to Sell here is why we also need to get Richard Murray out of Charlton Athletic.

Thank you for everything Richard but it's time to enjoy your retirement!

Comments

• Can I just say...
  • Boring.....
  • Thanks for putting that together. Did laugh when he said about keeping hold of our Academy players a bit longer..
  • Nice montage and agree with your sentiment, but you need to check your spelling (realtionship????) in order to be taken seriously, and he doesn't get paid so cannot really steal a wage.
  • Maybe he is being paid now that KM has gone?
  • Maybe he is being paid now that KM has gone?

He's still non-exec chair.
  • Pedro45 said:

Nice montage and agree with your sentiment, but you need to check your spelling (realtionship????) in order to be taken seriously, and he doesn't get paid so cannot really steal a wage.

This. Why go to the effort of making something which raises important issues and could make some good points only for it to end up looking like a 12 year old’s PowerPoint presentation?
  • Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:

Pedro45 said:

Nice montage and agree with your sentiment, but you need to check your spelling (realtionship????) in order to be taken seriously, and he doesn't get paid so cannot really steal a wage.

This. Why go to the effort of making something which raises important issues and could make some good points only for it to end up looking like a 12 year old’s PowerPoint presentation?
    Sorry about the spelling! Spelling is not my strong my point lol

Also did half of this video months ago and the other half last few days so some things got missed but oh well.
  • Curb_It said:

Thanks for putting that together. Did laugh when he said about keeping hold of our Academy players a bit longer..

He's probably said even more stupid things over the last four years that I've missed!
  • If it wasn't for him CAFC would never have been in a position to be in the mess they are now. That is not a joke, whatever you think of his latter years there probably would not be a CAFC today if it wasn't for him.
  • edited January 2
    Riviera said:

If it wasn't for him CAFC would never have been in a position to be in the mess they are now. That is not a joke, whatever you think of his latter years there probably would not be a CAFC today if it wasn't for him.

True.

But at some point one has to be evaluated for what is happening now under his involvement and not hang on to good deeds in the past. If someone gives lots of money to charity but then one night gets drunk and runs into a car, he still needs to pay for the accident.

That's how I look at Murray.
  • edited January 2

Riviera said:

If it wasn't for him CAFC would never have been in a position to be in the mess they are now. That is not a joke, whatever you think of his latter years there probably would not be a CAFC today if it wasn't for him.

True.

But at some point one has to be evaluated for what is happening now under his involvement and not hang on to good deeds in the past. If someone gives lots of money to charity but then one night gets drunk and has an accident, he still needs to pay for it.

Very poor and tasteless analogy.
  • edited January 2
    I honestly think Murray did great things for us in the past and, like @Riviera, I don’t think we would have had the ‘glory days’ without him. I also don’t think we fully understand his motives or rationale for the last few Duchatelet years. I think Meire believes, herself, that she did a good job and, similarly, I think Murray believes that he has acted in the best interests of the club. He has given a lot of his time and money for the club. It would be interesting to hear his side of the story before he is written off and I don’t think (please correct me if I’m wrong) that anyone has.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

True.

But at some point one has to be evaluated for what is happening now under his involvement and not hang on to good deeds in the past. If someone gives lots of money to charity but then one night gets drunk and kills a family with a hit and run, he still needs to pay for the hit and run.

Very poor and tasteless analogy.
    Upon reflection, true. I altered the original.
  • Riviera said:

True.

But at some point one has to be evaluated for what is happening now under his involvement and not hang on to good deeds in the past. If someone gives lots of money to charity but then one night gets drunk and kills a family with a hit and run, he still needs to pay for the hit and run.

You seem to be suggesting that RM was a good man, but what he has done recently is equivalent to killing a family and running away?

Given what he did to save our club and bring us home I am able to give him the benefit of doubt as overall he is still in credit. He may have said things that he thought to be true/made mistakes etc, but I still think he loves the club and will try and do the best he can.

I would add that if I were him, I would want to be involved and keep an eye on my financial interest.
  • cafc-west said:

I honestly think Murray did great things for us in the past and, like @Riviera, I don’t think we would have had the ‘glory days’ without him. I also don’t think we fully understand his motives or rationale for the last few Duchatelet years. I think Meire believes, herself, that she did a good job and, similarly, I think Murray believes that he has acted in the best interests of the club. He has given a lot of his time and money for the club. It would be interesting to hear his side of the story before he is written off and I don’t think (please correct me if I’m wrong) that anyone has.

My opinion is very much that I'm grateful for what he done for us in the past, his part in us returning to The Valley in 1992 and our Premier League years HOWEVER he has to realize that he is no longer the best man for the job and the club needs new fresh blood in it.

Personally I don't think it is a coincidence that our most successful period in the last 10 years was Under Slater/Jimenez and Chris Powell when Richard Murray had a very reduced role in the club.

Thank you for everything but it's time he moved on
  • Sponsored links:

• Great, now I've over done it and this will become a defending of Murray thread. My bad.
  • edited January 2
    Redrobo said:

Riviera said:

True.

Given what he did to save our club and bring us home I am able to give him the benefit of doubt as overall he is still in credit. He may have said things that he thought to be true/made mistakes etc, but I still think he loves the club and will try and do the best he can.

I would add that if I were him, I would want to be involved and keep an eye on my financial interest.
    Napa has edited his post upon reflection. I edited my quote of his too.
  • It's hard to not lose it now and again being a Charlton fan. I can only imagine what a mess I will become if we ever fall into a relegation battle.
  • Yeah would be interesting to hear his side of events post takeover.

• DOUCHER said:

People that think he is just hanging around to safeguard his circa £2m are very wide of the mark. He's lost in the region of £18m of his own money in bailing Charlton out. It would be good if he did come out and put his side of the story because there seems to be a lot of people who have formed a view based on very little knowledge. Riviera is right - there would be no club if it weren't for him and we are talking about writing personal cheques etc at the end of the spivs reign when it all went tits, not harking back to the glory years. It would be good to know what the issue with him and varney is because clearly varneys 'fans' have done a great job in making him look the hero and rm look the villain - strange really - he was clearly a vital cog in the glory days but what personal sacrifices has PV made for cafc in comparison - be good to know. Very easy to criticise others, not so easy to get it right - rd has been a disaster - what a shame pv's lot weren't able to step in instead before he got involved instead of trying to force rd out a year or so later - might have been a much different story now - lets hope whoever takes over next is we what we all want

RM is a multi millionaire, to my knowledge PV isn't, so not really a like for like comparison. Who's to say if PV was a multi millionaire he wouldn't have done the same things. That's not to dismiss what RM has done for Charlton in the past but does that excuse him completely from the shit show of the last 4 years? For me his ego has clouded his judgement and he didn't want to give up his role and turned a blind eye to the damage these owners have done to the club/supporter relationship which he was there to manage, his words. He made some bold claims about RD and his own role when this lot took over, none of which happened. Let's see what he says if/when we get new owners. My guess is he will still be hanging around in some capacity. I'd personally like to see a clean sweep in the boardroom and the football management.
  • But what do you think would have been achieved by him coming out and denouncing rd? he would have had no more influence than the rest of us then - of course he wouldn't have expected things to go so badly but what was he able to do? there was a significant change in approach after relegation and whether its believed on here or not, it was following a joint visit to rd by km and rm to convince him to drop the network nonsense - i just think its so easy for people to say he should have walked out but you have to think it through and after the initial statement, what would have happened? nothing probably except things would probably have gone from bad to even worse. Anyway, let's hope something good gets concluded soon and we can get back on the up.
  • I wonder how many of us had to google “traduced” ?

None of us..... http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/69002/whats-your-favourite-radio-4-comedy#latest