Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Being honest...

Comments

• Options
    We looked brilliant at times earlier this season. The last few games I have seen we have looked bang average/very poor against teams in the lower half of the table. I thought we would have at least a dip due to lack of squad depth up front and perhaps just miss out on the play-offs. Now, I think we would be extremely fortunate if we made it into the play-offs.

We looked quite exciting this afternoon when Magennis and Best went up front together, although that only lasted 4 minutes before Best went off injured, probably because he was rushed back due to a lack of options. How many times have people been rushed back early in the last few years.
  • Options
    Nothing surprises me when it comes to Charlton. Totally disillusioned...
  • Options
    Don't believe the injuries are some act of god, you only needed to look at how Aribo and Best 'warmed up' before coming on - zero stretching etc just a little bit of jogging and bit of keepy uppy......

We'll be nearer relegation that play off's in a few weeks. And all we'll get is a loanee or two.
  • Options
    Well I wished all you amazing forecasters would have piped up with your cunning insight two months ago, could have made a few quid
  • Options

We have genuinely been unfortunate with injuries.

Today he had 8/11 who Robinson would have have picked from before the first game of the season. Bar Pearce, Bauer and Solly.

No excuses. 8 League games without a win!!
  • Options
    Five or six weeks ago I thought automatic promotion was always out of our reach but playoffs were pretty straightforward. The last nine games have certainly shifted that opinion.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Well I wished all you amazing forecasters would have piped up with your cunning insight two months ago, could have made a few quid

I made my few quid by not putting any hopeful money on us getting promotion or into the playoffs this year as I have done the past few years.
  • Options

You didn't ask "did you predict this?" Rather were we surprised when it did happen? We weren't.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Nothing surprises me anymore with this clown owning us, except those who still belive we have turned a corner amd that he will spend our way out of it and should be given another transfer window to prove his ineptitude.

#ROLANDOUT
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From what I saw today, mid-table mediocrity or maybe worse. If you don't score goals you don't win games - simple really.
  • Options

Can you honestly believe just how badly things have regressed in the last two months??

No, not even after the last four years. But we seem to have a manager without a credible Plan B and a club in limbo waiting, desperately, for a new owner. I am at a loss how this gets turned round without a manager of the ability that we simply have no hope of attracting under Duchatalet.
  • Options
    Is the takeover off now that we’ve made a loan signing from Arsenal?
  • Options
    C
    _MrDick said:

Nothing surprises me when it comes to Charlton. Totally disillusioned...

Same here. Even the takeover stuff leaves me feeling numb now. I can’t help thinking we’ll get some other foreign owner who’ll play with the club for a bit then get bored.
    I think the only way I’d get that passion back is if a fans consortium took us on.
  • Options

Yes at Walsall we were absolutely woeful a shambles of a team , shit tactics and shit attitudes

There was no injury crisis that night just a little insight to the future

I went to that game, it was dire. Been six times this season spread across the season and we have been poor every time. I was stunned we were so high. In fact that is one of the reasons I have been so often as I kept thinking I must be missing something!

What position were we when KR took over and what position are we now? He keeps talking of what he has built in his time at the club but I imagine we have only moved a couple of places up in his tenure.
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    Blimey that sounds depressingly on the money. We need a takeover so desperately. And hopefully one from a Varney spearheaded group of investors.
  • Options
    I don't think it's disintegrated. I think we've reverted to standard performance levels. At the beginning of the season I thought we'd be looking at a relegation fight at some point. A good start and the bonus of Fosu had us higher in the table than I expected. Now the lack of forwards, creatively barren midfield and basic inability to defend are producing exactly the results we deserve.

Tutt-tutt pointed it out clearly on the post match thread. Charlton are a badly coached and disorganised team and Robinson either doesn't recognise it or is powerless to change it. The rest of the league have figured them out, and know exactly how to counter the ponderous and predictable pattern of play.

No CEO, no CFO and no interest from the absentee owner, other than extracting maximum dollar from the car crash he's created. The good ship Charlton is drifting rudderless toward the rocks, not the playoffs.
  • Options
    Didn't expect it to get near this bad on the pitch, but it hasn't surprised me one bit. The injuries, sheer speed of the fixtures, lack of a plan B , players who aren't quite up to the cut being played week in week out. Happens every year under RD. The amount we have sold certain players for, we could have built such a nice squad and not have to all act shocked when a new signing who hasn't played professionally in a year or two gets an injury.

Fingers crossed we soon have some security and a drive within the whole Club from top to bottom.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When we won 1-0 at Bradford and then followed up with the 1-0 win over MK it looked like the Play Offs were nailed on with a decent chance of automatics.

Injuries have been bad but ironically the one player who has not been injured - Big Josh - has probably been the biggest problem.

You are not going up if your top striker isn't banging in 20 goals plus and he has not scored for 10 games - that's a massive problem right there.

This has been exacerbated by the fact that we have no serious replacement for him with the choices either Dodoo (no comment required), Ahearne-Grant - he'll probably be at Welling this time next year - and Best who was unwanted and on the dole before he came to us.

It was a massive risk to go into the season with only a moderate scoring target man (43 goals in 173 games) as the only striking option and we are now well and truly paying for it.

It's the same old, same old with Roland, always looking to do things on the cheap and with the minimum investment possible and it is never going to end well unless you are incredibly lucky in avoiding injuries and - more importantly - having a youngster come in and really step up to the plate.

Of course, if we'd held onto Lookman then we'd be in a different position entirely and he would very likely have 10-15 goals himself this season as he comes into his prime as one of the best young strikers in the country.

But now I really am being ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Robinsons single way of playing was always going to be found out relatively quickly as we don't have the depth in every position and lack a striker who can put the ball in the net. You can't rely on the midfielder to get all the goals.

I've said from day one this season the best we'd do is 7th-12th. He has been unlucky with injury, but I don;t think that is only down to luck. How many players have been out injured, come back for one game and been injured again straight away and worse? Did you see Best warming up at half time, I don't keep fit but I exercise better on my way to work. Youngsters get away with it, older players or players carrying an injury don't.

He's rushed back players as he's needed to as the 'reserves' aren't good enough to fit his system.

The recent form is down to a) not having the right players to play his system and b) the opposition doing their homework.

We also lack leaders and fight on the pitch, look at today;

Konsa too young to lead and still needs direction, ditto for Lennon, Sarr and Dasilva
    JFC is too lightweight and goes missing too often, inexperienced
    Kashi will never be a captain/leader and is inexperienced in this league
    Aribo, great prospect but young and needs experience alongside him
    Marshall, Reeves & Holmes - good players on their day but again, not leaders
    Magennis, doesn't even lead the line.

Who was skipper today, JFC then Holmes? Please........

Then look at the bench.......

Without Pearce and/or Jackson on the pitch we lose shape far too much and the midfield to defence can be too far apart, the heads go down and the opposition get their tails up.

My bigger worry is that we won't bring in what we need, as we need at least 4-5 players if Robinson persists with his formation, it's going to be a long old slog to May, at the moment 12th will be about as high as I can see us by then. If he adapts the formation we still have a chance of the play off's.

Saturday against Oldham assuming no one is back from injury then he needs to play both KHG and Magennis in a front two, keep Marshall and Holmes out wide with Aribo and Jackson in the middle. But put kashi on for the last 20/30 minutes. You could chance keeping Jacko on the bench and put Kashi on to start, but on the basis we seem to fall apart at the beginning i'd personally start with Jacko...... except his legs have gone :wink:

• Options

I think you'll find I've been very consistent from the start. No 20 goal striker = no promotion. I wished I had a £1 for every time I've said it - I could have bought the club myself.
  • Options
    I certainly reckon it's safe to book a holiday in May.
  • Options
    While the decline is massive I think it is genuinely easily explained. At the start of the season we were heavily reliant on Holmes and Fosu to do just about everything, ever since Fosu went down and Holmes lost form we’ve plummeted. Magennis is capable of getting 10-15 goals a season but you need your wingers on form, with him getting the odd header plus Holmes and Fosu grabbing a couple it gave the space for JFC to push up and score too. Now (in my opinion) our main threat every game is Jay Dasilva when he gets it up the pitch as he’s doing what Holmes and Marshall should be doing but just aren’t pulling off.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Last 8 league matches....

Goals
    CAFC - 5
    Palace - 10

Wins
    CAFC - 0
    Palace - 2

Table Points
    CAFC - 3
    Palace - 11

If you had told me this was possible on Nov 24th, when we were 3rd and Palace were dead last in the PL, I would have LOLed.
  • Options
    At least with AC we always waited until we had 40 points, were safe and at least gave it a try!
  • Options

Last 8 league matches....

Goals
    CAFC - 5
    Palace - 10

Wins
    CAFC - 0
    Palace - 2

Table Points
    CAFC - 3
    Palace - 11

If you had told me this was possible on Nov 24th, when we were 3rd and Palace were dead last in the PL, I would have LOLed.

New manager effect ???
  • Options
    I'm surprised at just how poor we've become. Yes we've had a lot of injuries but that side yesterday was good enough on paper to beat a shit Gillingham side, who'd had almost 24 hours less rest than us, and especially after we got a good point and clean sheet away to the league leaders.

I'm also surprised at Shrewsbury managing to stay up there, genuinely thought they'd get found out after 15 or so games, but to still be up there with the best home record in the division, is pretty impressive.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Robinsons single way of playing was always going to be found out relatively quickly as we don't have the depth in every position and lack a striker who can put the ball in the net. You can't rely on the midfielder to get all the goals.

I've said from day one this season the best we'd do is 7th-12th. He has been unlucky with injury, but I don;t think that is only down to luck. How many players have been out injured, come back for one game and been injured again straight away and worse? Did you see Best warming up at half time, I don't keep fit but I exercise better on my way to work. Youngsters get away with it, older players or players carrying an injury don't.

He's rushed back players as he's needed to as the 'reserves' aren't good enough to fit his system.

The recent form is down to a) not having the right players to play his system and b) the opposition doing their homework.

We also lack leaders and fight on the pitch, look at today;

Konsa too young to lead and still needs direction, ditto for Lennon, Sarr and Dasilva
    JFC is too lightweight and goes missing too often, inexperienced
    Kashi will never be a captain/leader and is inexperienced in this league
    Aribo, great prospect but young and needs experience alongside him
    Marshall, Reeves & Holmes - good players on their day but again, not leaders
    Magennis, doesn't even lead the line.

Who was skipper today, JFC then Holmes? Please........

Then look at the bench.......

Without Pearce and/or Jackson on the pitch we lose shape far too much and the midfield to defence can be too far apart, the heads go down and the opposition get their tails up.

My bigger worry is that we won't bring in what we need, as we need at least 4-5 players if Robinson persists with his formation, it's going to be a long old slog to May, at the moment 12th will be about as high as I can see us by then. If he adapts the formation we still have a chance of the play off's.

Saturday against Oldham assuming no one is back from injury then he needs to play both KHG and Magennis in a front two, keep Marshall and Holmes out wide with Aribo and Jackson in the middle. But put kashi on for the last 20/30 minutes. You could chance keeping Jacko on the bench and put Kashi on to start, but on the basis we seem to fall apart at the beginning i'd personally start with Jacko...... except his legs have gone :wink:

Depressingly accurate analysis.

As an optimist I always feel that things can improve but it will need a lot to recover a automatic promotion place.

Play-offs still doable IMHO but change in management ( either style or personnel) needed.

When did we first lose Clarke? How did that correspond to the downturn? Ditto Fosu?