Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Gillingham 1/1/2018 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

First game since Wigan at home in September, as I've been doing some opposition scouting down in the non leagues.

That first half performance was shocking.

We started with a 4-2-3-1, against Gillingham's 4-4-2 Diamond. Robinson made a point to say that he went to see Gillingham play last Saturday. So how did he manage to get the System, Pattern of Play, and Team selection so wrong? In fact he couldn't have got it more wrong. Maybe he was unlucky and they changed their system from Saturday. But if they didn't, thats scary.

The Central Defence was wide open. The full backs were pushed up and not in position to support the Centre Backs or to cover inside. We had two defensive midfielders, with similar styles, as short passing continuity players, and no long passing ability. The no.10 was a converted wide player, playing between two wingers playing inside, in behind a Centre Forward who was isolated. There was no creativity in the midfield; no-one running in behind to stretch the opposition; and we were caught short of numbers whenever Gillingham attacked. When we had the ball, I assume we were trying to play "Up, Back and Through", although it was not easy to work out. I've seen many non league teams this season who were better prepared and better organised than this, on two nights a week training. What do they work on in training?

At least Robinson had the sense to change it at half-time, to 4-4-2 to 4-2-4, with two orthodox wingers, and support for the Centre Forward in the form of a second striker. We looked much better, attacked in numbers and pinned them in for long periods. Which we should be doing from the off. We were at home FFS!

The managers main job is to get the team selection and tactics right, before the game. It's not easy, especially when you have to rely on scouting reports. But he actually went to see them play on Saturday, and got it so badly wrong. That's scary.

On the positive side, I thought KAG looked like the player who came on at Fulham and ran them ragged a couple of seasons ago. If only he could find some composure inside the box.

Holmes really got at their Right Back in the second half, and is a much better player when staying wide and trying to get in behind, with the occasional diagonal run inside to get in a shot. He ain't a no.10. But he is a handful when he isolates opponents in one-against-one situations.

Excellent post as ever. I've absolutely no doubt you wouldn't do any worse as our manager than KR.
  • Options

Wasn't there but I'm guessing Sarr is the official scapegoat, when I last watched him he was good and everyone keeps raving how much of a revelation he has been. How can all that go in one match?

No!! - He was better than Konsa | Lennon | Holmes | Reeves | Forster-Caskey | Magennis
    Good point - Wasn't his best game, but he was better than Lennon and Konsa.
  • Options
    Takeover imminent (maybe?), KR been told that the new owners will be bringing in their own man? If so do the players know this also and are just not playing for him. Lost the dressing room?

Certainly seems that way.
  • Options
    Great news - we needed a prolific experienced striker. Very exciting!
  • Options
    As woeful as Charlton were (especially first half) I thought Gillingham did a real job on us. The tall, lanky fella up front with Bendtner hair (Eaves?) is a real handful and a decent footballer at this level also (as was Parker, their No:14).
    And their ‘game management’ of the last 5 minutes plus injury time was, although infuriating, spot on.
    PS: What actually is the point of Reeves?
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:

Not reading any of the other views.

All in all, the first half was one of the worst charlton performances I have ever seen and by god did we pay for it!

Why not save time and effort? Just go PWR!! It’s the way ahead!
  • Options

And another thing. That’s the first time I can remember the team emerging from the tunnel at half time to complete and utter silence despite Brian’s exhortation to welcome them back.

Would you have given the fella 3k at half-time though for hitting the post?
  • Options

Robinson seemed to take offence at me telling him, that we should be playing two up front all the time as he walked off at the end, he motioned he wanted to meet me outside, silly twat. How the hell does he continue with 1 up front and 5 in midfield it gets so clogged up, the difference and space it allowed Marshall and Holmes made us look dangerous, but far too little too late.

Mate, was that you right at the front of the N.stand, near the tunnel, at the end? Although you really were giving it some, I noticed Robinson staring at you then asking you out for a chat! Likewise Kashi.
    Admire your passion my friend
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clueless in the first half.

Toothless in the second.

Didn't look to me like the players were playing for the manager. Has he lost the dressing room? Sussed his tactical ineptitude? Or maybe they are all distracted by the impending takeover?

I can't see anyone wanting to come to Charlton at present, even if by some miracle Robinson has persuaded Duchatelet to cough up some funds. Stephy M is Not the answer.

We need that takeover, and fast, if we want to salvage this season.
  • Options

And another thing. That’s the first time I can remember the team emerging from the tunnel at half time to complete and utter silence despite Brian’s exhortation to welcome them back.

Would you have given the fella 3k at half-time though for hitting the post?
    It can't be any worse than what we pay our players to miss the target completely.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Positives from Yesterday ???

We won the 2nd half 1-0
  • Options

Robinson seemed to take offence at me telling him, that we should be playing two up front all the time as he walked off at the end, he motioned he wanted to meet me outside, silly twat. How the hell does he continue with 1 up front and 5 in midfield it gets so clogged up, the difference and space it allowed Marshall and Holmes made us look dangerous, but far too little too late.

Manager offers one of his own club's fans out for telling him what he refuses to acknowledge - classy. I would love to see the fat chump put on his arse with a thick lip. That might slow his stream of bullshit a tad. Won't be sorry to see him kissing someone else's badge, if you get my drift.
  • Options
    Josh Parker seems to have got good reviews from those there. I'm sure we had him on trial, maybe start of last season? Shame we didnt offer him a contract.
  • Options

Mate, was that you right at the front of the N.stand, near the tunnel, at the end? Although you really were giving it some, I noticed Robinson staring at you then asking you out for a chat! Likewise Kashi.
    Admire your passion my friend
    Passion or aggression? Sounds like he was being aggressive towards Robbo and is now the victim because Robbo bit back.
  • Options
    The team just feels very stale at the moment.

Holmes look as if he has run himself into the ground and didn't look sharp yesterday.

Sarr was awful in the first half and Eaves was all over him like a rash. I had guys around me yesterday calling for off side. Not in a million years. And the problem was it was so easy for Eaves because Sarr wasn't concentrating and Eaves exploited that.

No firepower upfront. Can't see us scoring a goal at all at the moment.

And in my book if you lose 6 points to a team like Gillingham in both league games, you're not going to go up I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, the squad has been ravaged by injuries. And we're looking like a mid-table side at best.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    for a team of our cost in this league, yes roland is a wanker but our squad is far superior on paper to a LOT of the others, we are just being turned over like a cheap tart, were 9th and the gap to the top 5 is widening, even to scrape into 6th isn't enough the aim was be in the autos and drop down as minimum into playoffs. yet again a club that has shortchanged the fans, lose against oldham and think it could be curtains as those fans attending will start to turn on him and the players.

forget going up well be lucky to stay in the same league.

our next 3 fixtures are against teams at the wrong end of the table anything less than 4 points from them and ill start to worry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018

for a team of our cost in this league, yes roland is a wanker but our squad is far superior on paper to a LOT of the others, we are just being turned over like a cheap tart, were 9th and the gap to the top 5 is widening, even to scrape into 6th isn't enough the aim was be in the autos and drop down as minimum into playoffs. yet again a club that has shortchanged the fans, lose against oldham and think it could be curtains as those fans attending will start to turn on him and the players.

our next 3 fixtures are against teams at the wrong end of the table anything less than 4 points from them and ill start to worry.

The only paper that insinuates our squad is better than others is the salary sheets. I want 9 points from those three, but will take 5 or 6.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Not a surprise result for many and me included.

As a non attender, I go on past experience (40 years), what I read on CL and the fact that we are a general basket case of a football club anyway.

I cling to the old adage that football moves in cycles and that one day it will be "our turn" again in the comparative limelight in S.E London.

At the moment, I will be honest and say I do not give a flying fuck about Charlton, it's owner, coaching staff and players. I only give a fuck about us, the supporters, long suffering and desperate today.

Will the next mob through the revolving door be any better? Let us hope so, but to all my fellow sufferers on CL, Happy New Year... The Jills doing the double over us, FFS!!!!
  • Options

Anything less than 6 points will see us slipping lower down the table. The season is over as to regard promotion ( and that means getting into the play-offs). Have to be thinking about surviving & staying in this poxy league.

whoo hoo..........!!
  • Options
    Was intending to come but had norovirus. Suspect that was marginally worse.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

The only paper that insinuates our squad is better than others is the salary sheets. I want 9 points from those three, but will take 5 or 6.
    compared to gillingham i dont know for sure but i would guess the majority of fans would have ours over theres
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Eaves was superb: the way he set up their first is something the lumpen Magennis could only dream of. Good touch for a big man as well.

The number 9 Eaves was the difference between the two sides.
    if he was playing up front for CAFC 2nd half, we would have won !

Having non scoring strikers is madness.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

- There's no defensive communication. Apparently Amos has been told not to shout at his defence, because they're young and KR doesn't want them to panic.

Great summary again Paddy but seriously in regards to the above... You must be joking?

That sounds like another email suggestion that Karl's taken on board from Roland surely!!
  • Options

Redskin said:

Eaves was superb: the way he set up their first is something the lumpen Magennis could only dream of. Good touch for a big man as well.

The number 9 Eaves was the difference between the two sides.
    if he was playing up front for CAFC 2nd half, we would have won !

Having non scoring strikers is madness.
    From Gills website. Not sure he's a prolific scorer. But he look pretty decent yesterday.

The 25-year-old becomes Ady Pennock’s fourth summer signing with Josh Parker and Elliott List having also extended their stays at the club.

Eaves came through the youth ranks at Oldham Athletic before joining Bolton in 2010 on a three-year-contract for an undisclosed fee.

First team chances were limited however which forced the striker to go out on loan, enjoying spells at Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury Town, Rotherham United, Bury and Yeovil who he joined on a permanent basis last summer.

During the 2016/17 season Eaves made 48 appearances and scored seven goals, the last of which coming against Crawley in a 5-0 home win last December.

On signing the forward the Gills boss said: “It’s great to have got Tom on board; he’s strong, he’s quick and his height is naturally going to be an asset.”

Eaves added: “I’m absolutely delighted; I’m really looking forward to getting going. I can’t wait, I really can’t wait. I really like the Manager, I’ve spoken to Peter too and I think I can contribute in bringing some physicality to the team.”
  • Options
    Eaves is 25 and has had a very modest career up to now.
  • Options

Eaves is 25 and has had a very modest career up to now.

It would oh taken us... oooah, two weeks to Charltonise him.