Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Gillingham 1/1/2018 post-match views

Comments

• Leuth said:

Marshall put in so many great balls in the second half. He certainly lived up to expectations today.

Joke of the year so far.
    With you there, Chips. And Reeves. What is he actually for?

You wernt but at least you can keep on voting.
    Right then, I agree with @Leuth after all. Marshall did put in some great crosses. They are "great" in the same way that Brexit is going great.

Don't bring your political or personal grudges on to footie threads, Chips, nobody needs it. Especially after shit like today. Which I paid to watch.

• New Year, same old Charlton. Beyond dreadful in the first half. KR must take the blame, he won't change style of play, and seems to be rushing players back, just to get them even more badly injured. Reeves is one of the worst players ever to wear a Charlton shirt, and there's been a few. Hope the takeover is soon, we need a change in all personnel imo.
  • Even without all the shambles off the pitch, this kind of run would put far more capable managers under extreme pressure. I suspect our lack of appeal to anyone with a coaching certificate is the main reasons he remains firmly in situ.
  • edited January 2018
    PWR

I doubt Karl will change the line up for the next game afte we played better in the second half. First half was the worst again with players like Reeves and Marshall looking lightweight, Magennis getting zero service and Holmes trying to beat the whole Gillingham team. They should have been 3 up by half time were it not for a decent Amos one on one save from Eaves shot. Other than the Aribo goal it was all a bit despair aye towards the end Andrew had Aribo taken one of his chances first time instead of taking a touch the result might have been different. Fed up with Karl and I would not be sad to see him go.
  • 1StevieG said:

PWR

I doubt Karl will change the line up for the next game afte we played better in the second half.

This takes me back to the darkest days of Fraeye when we resorted to taking satisfaction when we won a half, regardless of the hammering we had taken (and goals shipped) in the other half.
  • I think we can forget about any form of promotion this year. Viva la revolution...
  • Sponsored links:

• We should have approached this the same way we approached the Wigan game. Robinson is not a good manager - he's average, at best.

Agree with the comments about the team (and club) coasting until we know who the owner is going to be.

However - with regret, I think we can forget about promotion this season.
  • edited January 2018

We should have approached this the same way we approached the Wigan game.

Are you sure we didnt?

It got to the point in the First-Half where EVERY ball was lumped out of Defence for Magennis to try and win

We shouldn't have to be doing that against Gillingham!!

We've got the quality within our Squad to beat some Championship teams let alone relegation battling League One teams!!
  • We should have approached this the same way we approached the Wigan game. Robinson is not a good manager - he's average, at best.

Agree with the comments about the team (and club) coasting until we know who the owner is going to be.

However - with regret, I think we can forget about promotion this season.

You think we should approach a game away against the league leaders the same way we approach a bottom half team at home who’ve never beaten us here? I guess I can see why you might say that but blimey that’s a sad state of affairs.
  • First half was as poor as I can remember us playing, taking into account the opposition. Nothing in attack and outrageously slack defending.

I was surprised how much we improved in the second half. Going 4-4-2 and dropping Reeves obviously helped but individual players also got better - Sarr's distribution, Holmes' crossing, Marshall's crossing, Magennis putting himself about. How does that happen? Could've scraped a draw but didn't deserve to.

We weren't outstandingly good when we were winning and we are not exceptionally bad now we're losing. Upper-mid table is our level I reckon. I also think it will take more than another season to turn us into Championship material, takeover or not.
  • Absolutely terrible 1st half. In fact it started with the team selection. Play KAG up top where he can run the defence, play Aribo as a man on form and play Jacko for some leadership on the pitch. Magennis is becoming a waste of space and Reeves and JFC are not fit.
    Our central defence was dreadful. They were superb against Wigan but defenders need to be consistent.
    Much better 2nd half but can't expect to be as poor as we were in the 1st half and not get beaten.
  • Sponsored links:

• New Year, same old Charlton. Beyond dreadful in the first half. KR must take the blame, he won't change style of play, and seems to be rushing players back, just to get them even more badly injured. Reeves is one of the worst players ever to wear a Charlton shirt, and there's been a few. Hope the takeover is soon, we need a change in all personnel imo.

You totally undermine your post when you write crap like this.

Reeves is obviously not one of the worst players to ever wear the shirt FFS.
  • Eaves was brilliant for them. Won everything.

One to watch if we get stuck at this level!
  • Eaves was brilliant for them. Won everything.

One to watch if we get stuck at this level!

Definitely someone that Magennis should have watched to learn how to be a sole target man!!
  • We were hopeless and Robinson is clueless.

Only reason we created chances in second half is because Gillingham withdrew knowing that with our powderpuff attack we would be unlikely to score two.

The sooner the new owners come in and have a complete clear out the better, the first half was embarrassing. Nobody had a clue how to deal with a journeyman centre forward.
  • PWR.

Thought their second goal was about a yard offside but defensively we were poor. Sarr was not good, but Lennon was awful. Where was he for the first? And why didn't he at least make an effort at the ball for the second?

Genuine question, what are Harry Lennon's strengths? I know this is probably his fifth or sixth game in the last two years (he was dropped around this time two years ago and has been out almost the entire time since). But he was constantly outmuscled. He gets caught under the ball, and his heading is often poor. I know Sarr will be the scapegoat, but he's the one playing on his weaker side with a far inferior partner.

Another question, have we won since Bauer came out of the team?

Second half was the best football we've played in weeks if not months and the ball just wouldn't go in the net. Credit to Aribo and KAG for helping to change the game. Amidst a run of good form you'd chalk it up to being unlucky. But amongst our run of form it looks appalling.

We're still very much within touching distance of the playoff with half a season to go. The bigger issue is this run of poor performances, poor form, and lack of goals seems to be effecting the players, and it looks like they have the yips.

Last but not least, is Robinson good enough to reverse a slide? I am deeply worried he is not...
  • So did the Belgium twat turn up today now he is more hands on...... No of course not. Fuck off NOW!!!
  • Neither Holmes nor Marshall were effective at all in the first half. Both improved in the second, with Holmes improving more than Marshall. Holmes to a 7 and Marshall to a 5.5 overall IMO.
  • @seth plum's bread pudding was indeed magnificent. It was a veritable oasis in the otherwise barren desert of watching Karl Robinson's Charlton Athletic.
  • SDAddick said:

have we won since Bauer came out of the team?

We've picked up two points since Patrick Bauer last played (Was subbed off in the 2-2 draw with Peterborough)