Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Museum Items

Comments

• edited March 2018
    I will never forget when my grandad told me he played for United. I mentioned Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton, Best et al until he stopped me and said “United Dairies”...At first i was gutted which then turned into a wide smile. :0)
  • Albert (right) on the pitch at the Valley with a so far unidentified colleague. Possibly 1922/3 when Kosha was part of the great giant killing FA cup side.

• Three photos of Goodman and colleagues in training. Presumably the first two are at the Valley but there seems to be a heavy fog.

imageimageimage
  • Some photos we were given by the Jewish Museum of Albert "Kosha" Goodman who played for the club in the Southern League and the Football League.

Most likely our first player from an ethnic minority.

A 1920/21 Southern League Squad photo taken in front of the old army huts used as changing rooms before the main stand was built.

Anyone else think that the legendary Albert Mills looks like @AFKABartram ?

Why does everyone seem to have had big ears in those days?
  • Some photos we were given by the Jewish Museum of Albert "Kosha" Goodman who played for the club in the Southern League and the Football League.

A 1920/21 Southern League Squad photo taken in front of the old army huts used as changing rooms before the main stand was built.

because they weren't long haired layabouts. They were real men with real hair cuts.

True. I bet they didn't argue with the trainer either.

because they weren't long haired layabouts. They were real men with real hair cuts.

I was going to say because they didn't have hair to hide them.
  • Three photos of Goodman and colleagues in training. Presumably the first two are at the Valley but there seems to be a heavy fog.

It's cigarette smoke. You didn't have to hide in the bogs in them days!!!
  • Could the top training photo have been taken at Catford ? It doesn't look like The Valley in the background
  • Sponsored links:

• Could the top training photo have been taken at Catford ? It doesn't look like The Valley in the background

Could be.

I think it's sparrows lane, just when the regime started the rebuild.

Could be.

Didn't we play in striped shirts when we played there?

And am I right in saying that there's no known photos of Catford in existence?

Could be.

Didn't we play in striped shirts when we played there?

And am I right in saying that there's no known photos of Catford in existence?
    Wished you'd known this much during the quiz : - )

Correct on both points although they may have used the old red shirts for training.

My guess is that they were taken around the cup run as that would have generated more press attention than ever before.
  • Wonderful photos!
  • edited March 2018
    Great pics.

Out of interest do you have Richard Murray in the museum he’d certainly qualify?
  • Great pics.

Out of interest do you have Richard Murray in the museum he’d certainly qualify?

He's prominent on the timeline in the Museum.

Wish he give us all the stuff in his garage he mentioned a while back.
  • Albert (right) on the pitch at the Valley with a so far unidentified colleague. Possibly 1922/3 when Kosha was part of the great giant killing FA cup side.

Thanks to @charltonnick for identifying the player on the left as Alex Steele
  • edited March 2018

Is that the hut that didnt have running water @Henry Irving (according to The JS Story)?

Thanks to @charltonnick for identifying the player on the left as Alex Steele
    Now that, my friend, is a hairstyle!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
  • Ah now that's my era. Pretty sure I had a copy of that photo too. Is that Paul Bacon with the snazzy red trousers?
  • aliwibble said:

Ah now that's my era. Pretty sure I had a copy of that photo too. Is that Paul Bacon with the snazzy red trousers?

it is - my era as well - I could instantly name every name on that picture including the driver.

Could be.

It is.

You can see the just see the trench marked out in the background.
  • JamesSeed said:

Some photos we were given by the Jewish Museum of Albert "Kosha" Goodman who played for the club in the Southern League and the Football League.

Is that the hut that didnt have running water @Henry Irving (according to The JS Story)?
    yes
  • edited March 2018
  • Fumbluff said:

Fumbluff said:

I see he's got a Wet Spam number plate.
  • Fumbluff said:

Fumbluff said:

I see he's got a Wet Spam number plate.
    I only said it once...
  • Is the Museum open before tomorrow's match? Rotherham.