Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Museum Items

Comments

• aliwibble said:

I thought admin were mean to be above fishing for LOLs? :-)

Promoted you mean

• https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAROLD-MORDEY-CHARLTON-ATHLETIC-1936-1938-VERY-RARE-ORIGINAL-HAND-SIGNED-CUTTING/291128453829?hash=item43c89baac5:g:NZIAAMXQ74JTUlQz

http://www.heardfamilyhistory.org.uk/Detailsindex/fam3633.html

Henry Victor Mordey(1911-1986) married distant Crocker cousin Annie Grubb, in 1937. This was an important time for Henry, for as well as getting married, the 1936-37 season saw his first appearance for Charlton Athletic Football Club. And this was Charlton Athletic's debut season in the English First Division - the equivalent of today's Premier. Henry was born in Kuala Lumpur and came to England in 1923. In 1928 he joined the Rifle Brigade, and it was there that his talent as a boxer and footballer was recognised. By 1933 he was playing as full back for the Army. When he returned to England in 1936 after several years service in Malta, he was signed up by Charlton Athletic, having been spotted in the Army team. Henry remained a serving soldier throughout his time with Charlton, playing as a defender for three seasons at The Valley with Army permission. In each of those seasons the team finished in the top four in the league. These were the last seasons before the war. Henry's playing was cut short in 1939 when he was mobilised. He managed to play occasionally throughout the war in the "War League", playing for local teams wherever he was stationed. In this way, whilst stationed at Ripon he played for York City South. When he was stationed at Exeter in 1944 he was allowed to play for Southampton. On occasions he played for Yeovil and Petters United. He served in North Africa, in Europe, received a shrapnel wound in the leg, and took part in the ill-fated Operation Market Garden. After the war his Charlton Athletic days were not quite over. He was recalled by the club and appeared on occasions as a "guest player". In this capacity he played in the 1945/46 FA Cup Final, when Charlton Athletic were beaten 4-1 by Derby County. He was never listed as a player in the Final, but his Loser's Medal is still in the family. In 1945-46 he was signed up by Alec Stock, a former CAFC colleague, to play for the newly reformed Yeovil Town for the 45/46 season.

Among the autographs on the 1947 Celebration Dinner & Dance programme above is a signature that looks like H Mordey Does anyone know who he was as we have just got a photo of him in the Museum, yet can find no evidence that he was a player ?

@killerjerrylee @SE7toSG3 @Tom_Hovi

Great find @Athletico Charlton

Right, how do we contact his family?
  • edited February 2018
    http://www.heardfamilyhistory.org.uk/Family Sport.html

Best to track down Nick Heard who is the author of this page/website which appears to have been updated in 2016 so quite fresh and includes the fact he was an Addicks defender which suggests he probably knows the club quite well or he would just call him a Charlton defender I would think.

Picture of team from 1938 also shown.
  • A couple of items that arrived from South Africa today. Make a story of that if you like

Sid O'Linn's (real name Sidney O'Linnsky) blazer badge. Fuzzy pic, sorry and a 1948/9 fixture card.

So our station used to be called Charlton Junction. A junction usually implies more than one way in our out so what was the other line, if there was one?
  • http://www.heardfamilyhistory.org.uk/Family Sport.html

Best to track down Nick Heard who is the author of this page/website which appears to have been updated in 2016 so quite fresh and includes the fact he was an Addicks defender which suggests he probably knows the club quite well or he would just call him a Charlton defender I would think.

@Athletico Charlton I've emailed and got a response from Nick. The info came from distant relatives who he is trying to track down for us.
  • A couple of items that arrived from South Africa today. Make a story of that if you like

Sid O'Linn's (real name Sidney O'Linnsky) blazer badge. Fuzzy pic, sorry and a 1948/9 fixture card.

So our station used to be called Charlton Junction. A junction usually implies more than one way in our out so what was the other line, if there was one?
    Line to Greenwich and line to Blacheath

That’s a junction?

Puts Clapham Jct to shame.

That’s a junction?

Puts Clapham Jct to shame.
    Typical Charlton fan slagging off our train station as not big enough.
  • LoOkOuT said:

That Ghana piece is very interesting.

That reminds me. Does anyone know anything about one Ben Odeje?

I once played against him.

@Athletico Charlton I've emailed and got a response from Nick. The info came from distant relatives who he is trying to track down for us.
    Having never been to the museum, if you do get hold of this medal will I get free admission? :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

Having never been to the museum, if you do get hold of this medal will I get free admission? :smile:
    Well, that's a big ask but in your case yes.

We seriously doubt the story as it's been told as he definitely didn't play in the 1946 cup final but still intriguing and want to at least see the medal.
  • Our brave trustees Paul and Ian plan to plough through snow and ice to open the Museum tomorrow.

11 to 2.30

Our brave trustees Paul and Ian plan to plough through snow and ice to open the Museum tomorrow.

11 to 2.30

won’t that require somebody from the club to be there ? They closed the store and ticket office early yesterday because of the weather and it’s supposed to get worse, a message obviously taken note of by commuters this morning because my tube wasn’t its usual jam-packed by the time it pulled into bank at 8.25 this morning
  • I hope to make it to the museum tomorrow. My flight leaves Weeze at 06:50 and if the weather conditions are ok I'm going to pop in by noon. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new items.

• https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAROLD-MORDEY-CHARLTON-ATHLETIC-1936-1938-VERY-RARE-ORIGINAL-HAND-SIGNED-CUTTING/291128453829?hash=item43c89baac5:g:NZIAAMXQ74JTUlQz

Henry Victor Mordey(1911-1986) married distant Crocker cousin Annie Grubb, in 1937. This was an important time for Henry, for as well as getting married, the 1936-37 season saw his first appearance for Charlton Athletic Football Club. And this was Charlton Athletic's debut season in the English First Division - the equivalent of today's Premier. Henry was born in Kuala Lumpur and came to England in 1923. In 1928 he joined the Rifle Brigade, and it was there that his talent as a boxer and footballer was recognised. By 1933 he was playing as full back for the Army. When he returned to England in 1936 after several years service in Malta, he was signed up by Charlton Athletic, having been spotted in the Army team. Henry remained a serving soldier throughout his time with Charlton, playing as a defender for three seasons at The Valley with Army permission. In each of those seasons the team finished in the top four in the league. These were the last seasons before the war. Henry's playing was cut short in 1939 when he was mobilised. He managed to play occasionally throughout the war in the "War League", playing for local teams wherever he was stationed. In this way, whilst stationed at Ripon he played for York City South. When he was stationed at Exeter in 1944 he was allowed to play for Southampton. On occasions he played for Yeovil and Petters United. He served in North Africa, in Europe, received a shrapnel wound in the leg, and took part in the ill-fated Operation Market Garden. After the war his Charlton Athletic days were not quite over. He was recalled by the club and appeared on occasions as a "guest player". In this capacity he played in the 1945/46 FA Cup Final, when Charlton Athletic were beaten 4-1 by Derby County. He was never listed as a player in the Final, but his Loser's Medal is still in the family. In 1945-46 he was signed up by Alec Stock, a former CAFC colleague, to play for the newly reformed Yeovil Town for the 45/46 season.

Among the autographs on the 1947 Celebration Dinner & Dance programme above is a signature that looks like H Mordey Does anyone know who he was as we have just got a photo of him in the Museum, yet can find no evidence that he was a player ?

Did he play in either of our war cup finals?

Did he play in either of our war cup finals?
    No and he doesn't appear to have played for us at all during the war.

We can't find a record of him playing for Yeovil either but they were non-league then.

It's something we see a lot. A family gets in touch saying our dad/grandfather played for the Charlton first team but when we check they haven't. Stories get mixed up or grow in the telling down the years.
  • edited March 2018
    rina said:

is he not V192?
    I'm confused. Why is he not V192 as listed by @Stig in a previous thread
    V192, Henry Victor MORDEY, Army, CHARLTON ATH. 10.
  • rina said:

rina said:

is he not V192?
    I'm confused. Why is he not V192 as listed by @Stig in a previous thread
    V192, Henry Victor MORDEY, Army, CHARLTON ATH. 10.

He is. @killerjerrylee missed the entry in the Valiant 500, which he is updating, but he's aware of it now.

Still very little in the Cameron book so more information very welcome.
  • Really interesting stuff.
  • edited March 2018
    Now in touch with the relative of Henry Mordey who wrote the article.

He sent some more photos

Henry Mordey in a Rifle Brigade team in Malta, 1935

• Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    Henry with his wife Annie and child Jeanette circa 1936

• On the pitch at the Valley around 1936 (this was the photo we had that sparked the search).

• Henry far right with the 1936/7 squad playing billiards in their overcoats (a photo we had from the Sam Bartram collection.

• Finally Henry in 1984, two years before his death.

• Henry far right with the 1936/7 squad playing billiards in their overcoats (a photo we had from the Sam Bartram collection.

Must have been cold in that pub.
  • I think it might have been the players lounge at the Valley but can't be sure.
  • Did they have a cup final medal in the end?
  • Did they have a cup final medal in the end?

We haven't been able to contact Henry's grand daughter, who has the medal, yet.
  • I think it might have been the players lounge at the Valley but can't be sure.

Dry as well!