Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southend vs Charlton: Post match views

Comments

• Ffs, bring another coach in and we'll have more than National Express.

• Something doesn't seem right. I think he lost the dressing room the players have now seen through his bullsxxt. We was playing ok ish until the MK Dons game. Yes I know injuries aren't helping. He will probably bring in some more Mk rejects thinking this will get us over the line but what you got to think is he never won the championship with that team so what makes him think he will now. I'm sorry Robinson you either win at Wigan and Gillingham or it's your BFH.
  • rikofold said:

The team is on a bad run. It happens to all managers. Curbs lost 9 in a row in 98/99 and got relegated, but sticking with him led to some of the most successful years this club ever saw.

I despair at the short- termism we seem to so readily buy into. Robinson can't name a settled side, the players that are out there seem to be carrying knocks, in desperate need of a rest, or have single figure matches experience. Losing Fosu was the biggest blow.

Of course Robinson has his limitations and is far from the best we've had, but he's by far the best we've had under this lot. Karel Fraeye anyone?

He's not even had a full season, but people want rid after a few poor games. I'm not his biggest fan, but even I can see how ridiculous it is to demand a manager's head everytime the team goes on a bad run.

I hear what you are saying but
    It is his stubbornness not to change a system that is clearly not working that grates with me.
    Going back to last season when he admitted that the players we had were not suited to his system he still stuck with it.
    I think league one managers know how to stifle our system but Robinson appears oblivious to this and he carries on regardless.

If Robinson continues with his preferred 4231 and results continue to go against him he will only have himself to blame should Roland decide enough is enough.
  • Hate to be a told you so type of person, but from the start of the season I have said it’s great having a good 11 but injuries happen and the squad isn’t big enough - we don’t know what’s gone on if Karl is happy with his purchases and said no more - then that’s on Karl unfortunately he needs to manage with what he has.
    If as what I would imagine has happened is Roland has been his usual wanky self he’s said that’s it no more use the academy.
    Stupid comments form Karl about playoff places make him look like a maverick and tbh he’s not a great manager, he’s an improvement on what we’ve had but certainly not in the top 6 in league 1 a likeable chap but unfortunately he’s currently sitting 9th in a piss poor league 1 and Charlton will be lucky to nick a play off spot, as usual our season is over by Xmas unless some serious changes are rung, I didn’t see the game yesterday but from pals that were there no one put a shift in in the 1st half in particular is that fatigue or just can’t be fucked.
    Also the whole getting them in at 7 is akin to we know what this game means to the fans. ( pompey ) then go out on the razz after.
  • Really good derby match at Park View Road yesterday. Dartford took an early lead then kept Weeling out until half-time. They took a 2-0 lead after the restart and looked like the tabke-toppers they are before before Welling fought back. A superb free-kick and a late penalty made it 2-2 before the Darts scored a peach of a third in the final minute. Welling nearly managed a 94th minute equaliser as the whistle went. The reverse fixture is New Years Day.
  • From the Southend FC website;

Coming off the back of a third successive defeat on Saturday, Southend made a frightening quick start scoring twice inside the opening 11-minutes of the game.
    The Addicks fans burst into song, singing “we’ve had a shot” after Josh Magennis took aim inside the penalty area, stinging the palms of Mark Oxley for Charlton’s first attempt of the game.

2nd half
    The visitors were starting to build some momentum with a series of free-kicks and corners and came close to getting one back when Ben Reeves’ corner fell kindly for Joe Aribo who struck wide.
    Charlton ... got their rewards when Ben Reeves reduced the arrears midway through the second half.
    The goal had been just rewards for the visitors who’d looked the better side in the second half, and they continued to press forward after the goal as they went in search of an equaliser.

But after surviving mounting Addicks pressure, Cox sealed the points for Blues when he smashed home from close range with just over 10-minutes remaining.

So it wasn't that bad after all! That's alright then.
    Watch out Wigan, here we come!
  • rikofold said:

The team is on a bad run. It happens to all managers. Curbs lost 9 in a row in 98/99 and got relegated, but sticking with him led to some of the most successful years this club ever saw.

I despair at the short- termism we seem to so readily buy into. Robinson can't name a settled side, the players that are out there seem to be carrying knocks, in desperate need of a rest, or have single figure matches experience. Losing Fosu was the biggest blow.

Of course Robinson has his limitations and is far from the best we've had, but he's by far the best we've had under this lot. Karel Fraeye anyone?

He's not even had a full season, but people want rid after a few poor games. I'm not his biggest fan, but even I can see how ridiculous it is to demand a manager's head everytime the team goes on a bad run.

I hear what you are saying but
    It is his stubbornness not to change a system that is clearly not working that grates with me.
    Going back to last season when he admitted that the players we had were not suited to his system he still stuck with it.
    I think league one managers know how to stifle our system but Robinson appears oblivious to this and he carries on regardless.

If Robinson continues with his preferred 4231 and results continue to go against him he will only have himself to blame should Roland decide enough is enough.
    And those limitations include an apparent inability to play beyond one formation. I agree with what you're saying, but we have been on a decent run under Robinson and I don't see any reason why we couldn't again when players are back.

The real issue is the squad depth. There's been a noticeable change in Robinson's rhetoric recently from the nonsense he "wanted to keep a small squad". If players stayed fit no problem, but they don't.

Roland learns no lessons. Sacking Robinson would be a band aid on a broken leg.
  • The internet connection dropped at 2-1. Didn't bother reconnecting. Turned off the laptop and did the washing up instead.

At the beginning of the season I thought we'd end up in a relegation battle. Thankfully we had a good start, but we're playing about how I expected right now. Not enough goals, no creativity in midfield, not enough depth in the squad and now they can't defend either.

I'd rather do the washing up than listen to a Charlton match. How sad is that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Once again gloom and despondency on Charlton life after a defeat. I just don't get it, especially given that results went our way once again and we're still 13 points clear of the relegation spots tonight. I for one remain steadfastly confident that we can stay out of the bottom 4 this year.

Im not I got a tenner on bottom four at 150 - 1. After yesterday those odds had dropped by a third.
  • One thing that I did notice yesterday, Jackson was doing a warm up with the back 4 - it was a pretty pathetic routine, and that continued for most of the game. I can not believe how bad the defending for the goals was yesterday.

They do it every week.
  • A sacked Robinson at the moment would be like having a broken pencil - pointless. Roland Out.
  • One thing that I did notice yesterday, Jackson was doing a warm up with the back 4 - it was a pretty pathetic routine, and that continued for most of the game. I can not believe how bad the defending for the goals was yesterday.

They do it every week.
    I never normally take much of the defensive warm up, I usually watch the attackers smashing balls in to the North Upper! but yesterday I was right at the front and it caught my attention. It was such a lame drill.
  • Not relevant to yesterday's game but can anyone fill in the opponents and scores for the following Charlton Boxing Day fixtures? (I think one of them v Ipswich was postponed due to frost?). I'm bored, so I'm trying to compile my lifetime of Boxing Day results and these are my missing ones! Cheers!

2004-05 - Premier League =
    2005-06 - Premier League =
    2006-07 - Premier League =
    2007-08 - Championship =
    2008-09 - Championship =
    2009-10 - League One =
    2010-11 - League One =

PS...I thought Reeves took his goal nicely yesterday! I reckon he might end up being our top scorer this season.....
  • My Southend supporting pal sent me the following comments from 'Blue Moon.'
    manor15
    Charlton are the most one man team as you'll find and can't help but feel that the likes of Reeves would have been a lot more threatening if they hadn't just passed to Holmes at every given opportunity. Their defence was as bad as ours on an off day, which is saying something.

Southend schoolboy
    We today looked, unlike we have recently, a team who were fighting for their manager. Brilliant result. Charlton were very poor barring Holmes who terrified me every time he picked the ball up. The group of morons they bring along every visit in the away end always provide light entertainment.

Lord Football
    We dominated the first half. Charlton didn't play well, but frankly, they weren't allowed to. We were first to pretty much everything, didn't give them any time on the ball and the front two bullied their defenders out of possession several times. Two up in ten minutes. Happy Christmas. Fair play to Charlton, they came back at us in the second half. Holmes looked the pain in arse he is every time he plays against us. When they pulled one back I thought "here we go again". But, fair play Blues. They dug in and didn't really give Charlton any opportunity to sneak a point. The third goal, nice finish Cox, put the game to bed and Fortune should really have had a fourth very late.

Ayrshire Blue
    I couldn’t believe how poor they were and in context, given their league position, I think they’re the worst side we’ve played at home this season. I ended up feeling sorry for Holmes as he was their only outlet and he was playing with 10 donkeys. Special shoutout to their number 23 at the back who evidently won a competition to play that game

Old Blue Lady
    It's 3.30 a.m. and I'm unable to sleep - but still buzzing from the excitement of that result. This was, without any doubt, one of our best performances of the season and shows how effective we can be when everyone is on their game. Charlton were missing a number of key players, but seeing that perennial thorn in our sides, Holmes was their captain I thought we might be in for a torrid ride. Didn't quite turn out that way. Their back four was incredibly poor and it was nice to see Ranger actually getting the chance to bully a defence for once, something he needs to do on a more frequent basis. However, I thought Holmes, Reeves and Da Silva all grew in influence as the game went on - full credit to Reeves too, for not over celebrating his goal.

[Ben Reeves scored the goal that took us to our first ever Wembley final a few years ago. Ricky Holmes is a boyhood Southend fan!]
  • We’ve got some good managers on here by the sounds of it wouldn’t mind them having a go
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2017
    Boxing Day 2004 - drew 0-0 at Soton (Jeffers on the bench)
    Boxing Day 2005 - lost 1-0 at home to Arsenal (Reyes), Murphy sent off.
    27th Dec 2006 - drew 2-2 home to Fulham (conceded last minute equaliser)
    Boxing Day 2007 - drew 1-1 away at Norwich (Sodje sent off, Zeng Z scored for us)
    Boxing Day 2008 - drew 2-2 at home to QPR (Bailey scored both)
    Boxing Day 2009 - drew 2-2 at home to Swindon (Sodje and Burton red cards, Llera 90th min equaliser)
    29th Dec 2010 - drew 1-1 at Brighton (Withdean), Jacko early pen. Seagulls down to 10 men on 7 minutes.
    Boxing Day 2011 - won 3-2 at Yeovil, Danny Hollands, some old French bloke, and 90th min winner from Danny Green.
  • We’ve got some good managers on here by the sounds of it wouldn’t mind them having a go

No decent manager would take the job. . .
  • Boxing Day 2004 - drew 0-0 at Soton (Jeffers on the bench)
    Boxing Day 2007 - drew 1-1 away at Norwich (Sodje sent off, Zeng Z scored for us)
    Boxing Day 2009 - drew 2-2 at home to Swindon (Sodje and Burton red cards, Llera 90th min equaliser)
    29th Dec 2010 - drew 1-1 at Brighton (Withdean), Jacko early pen. Seagulls down to 10 men on 7 minutes.
    Boxing Day 2011 - won 3-2 at Yeovil, Danny Hollands, some old French bloke, and 90th min winner from Danny Green.

2010 is the Boxing Day when we had Southampton at home cancelled about an hour before kick-off because the pitch was only slightly frozen in tiny part.
  • Boxing Day 2004 - drew 0-0 at Soton (Jeffers on the bench)

2010 is the Boxing Day when we had Southampton at home cancelled about an hour before kick-off because the pitch was only slightly frozen in tiny part.
    The bastard D'urso.

He did it because he could in my view.

I had a 70 mile round trip for nowt on a Boxing Day. Others travelled a whole lot further.
  • edited December 2017

Anyone notice a pattern here ?? Funny that I heard yesterday that Man U hadn't lost a Boxing Day home game since 1978.

I think in future I may just down a couple of bottles of scotch on xmas evening so that I wont be tempted to go the next day.
  • We’ve been shocking for weeks. This downward spiral started before the wholesale injury crisis and TBH a number of wins this season have been stumbles past piss poor opposition.

Robinson has absolutely no idea how to turn this round and will persist with the bollocks formation until he gets sacked.

Make no mistake, we will see no incoming players and are likely to see Konsa move on.

This season could be over by March.

Great post.
    However I think that the season is already over. Promotion is not going to happen, and we are all kidding ourselves to think differently.

Robinson brought in the players he wanted, but apart from only one or two games this season the performances have been poor all season. The team look disinterested, and I get the feeling that Robinson has lost the dressing room.
  • Robbo brought lads in at 07:00 to view the match. Not sure what good that'll do. End of the day you can only work with what you've got. We can't win at home so therefore little expectation we will pick up points on our travels. Our form dictates that 2017/18 gone.

Experience confirms that changing the head coach in January registers nul improvement. Roland surely now regret failure to exit 2 years ago as £10m since added to CAFC debt line. It's merely a scramble to maintain mid-table mediocrity with end of season clear out. Saddening but we are now a smaller club than the likes of Brentford and Bristol City.
    Arseholes!
  • There was lots of injuries but what has upset me is the lack of professional desire, the first half was unacceptable from professional footballers, Turner was given the freedom of the box to hop into the air, select where he was going to put the ball and glance it in. Absolutely unacceptable.

In fact I'd go as far as saying the first half was up there as one of the worst halves of football I've seen, like I say. There was no desire and an enormous amount of hiding and not fancying challenges going on.

Second half was better, their left winger didn't see as much of the ball and Holmes did which helped. A lot of the basics still seem to not be within our squad to get right. First time balls, second balls, basic ball retention, an understanding of the offside rule and most importantly in a derby-ish Christmas game to show some desire and at least let the opposition know they are in a game by not pulling out of tackles or deciding that it's not your job to compete for 50/50's.

Away from home we gave ourselves too much to do, I'm not Robinson's biggest fan and his tactical naivety was on display however at some point the players absolutely must display some leadership amd guts when they head onto the pitch. It's clear we have some decent footballers in our ranks however they look like little boys up against semi-experienced journeyman
  • LenGlover said:

The bastard D'urso.

He did it because he could in my view.

I had a 70 mile round trip for nowt on a Boxing Day. Others travelled a whole lot further.
    Yes that is the one D'urso was always corrupt.
  • rikofold said:

Just to put you straight on a few points.

Curbs lost 8 in a row in the PREMIERSHIP when we hadn't spent big that summer & were playing with mainly Championship players.

Robinson has been in charge for a full year. He went on record saying that he had been left to bring in the players he wants. His team, his decisions, his choices.

If players are playing with knocks then that is mainly down to him. Kashi had been out for a full year but Robinson has played him in virtually all the games. He could have rested him & brought in Aribo - he didn't. He also admitted thst he rushed back both Marshall & his darling Reeves. He could (and should) have rested Magennis - but again it was his decision to let Novak go without getting a suitable replacement.

Just to put you straight, I'm not comparing Robinson with Curbs. I'm saying that despite his limitations it's madness to replace a manager because his team have gone on a bad run - even if, as is always the case, he's made his own contribution to the mess.

I would be more than happy to be corrected, but I'd be amazed if it was Robinson's decision to start the season with one senior striker.