Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crisis

Comments

• Options
    Well done all
  • Options
    Respect.
  • Options
    Cheers both. To be honest it’s only 3 days out of my year and some of the people that do the coordination and running of the centres have been doing it for many many years and they give up the whole of their Xmas which I think is very impressive

They all said at the end of the shift that there is this thing called NHS pathway which has calculated that because of all the centres across london, it knocks off waiting times in a&e down by quite a bit throughout Xmas, new year and into Feb

• Options
    One of my sisters is doing this.

£28.18 will sponsor a place for someone. However her involvement is more with support services which can hopefully help those people back onto their feet.

https://www.crisis.org.uk/
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

One of my sisters is doing this.

£28.18 will sponsor a place for someone. However her involvement is more with support services which can hopefully help those people back onto their feet.

https://www.crisis.org.uk/

Good to hear Len.
  • Options
    iamdan said:

@cabbles yes bud, starting later this evening. Also doing part of Christmas and Boxing day this year. Should be humbling as usual!
    If you’re around on these days give me a shout.

Top man, pleased you’re doing it again

I’m down the road this year at the Day centre. I didn’t pick it purposefully just saw Bermondsey and forgot they have 2

Hope it goes well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iamdan said:

@cabbles yes bud, starting later this evening. Also doing part of Christmas and Boxing day this year. Should be humbling as usual!

cabbles said:

iamdan said:

Top man, pleased you’re doing it again

I’m down the road this year at the Day centre. I didn’t pick it purposefully just saw Bermondsey and forgot they have 2

Hope it goes well
    Well done Chaps - good work.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I have donated but we need to fix this as a nation not just as individuals. I am currently in Brussels and was shocked to see homeless families (with young children). It is not acceptable to say it could be even worse but seeing what I have seen, it could be. I suspect the families here are asylum seekers, That doesn't let us off the hook though, I see no reason why we can't eradicate it if we want to.

Well done to all those volunteers though. Proud of you all.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    We'll done to all involved.

Used to manage a scheme for homeless families.. As for now I still work meeting homeless folks most days. Our resources are such that there aren't enough beds in the homeless hostels. The sad reality is that for now the department won't provide anything for the current rough sleepers until it goes below freezing for three consecutive days. Then they are permitted to give out a one man tent and sleeping bag, yes that's what I said. It is the Cold Weather Policy. I will often tell people to find a corner in the A& E waiting area, just to keep the elements at bay for a few hours until they get kicked out in the morning.

Christmas truly is a time to consider how fortunate those of us are that live in any place we can call home.
  • Options
    Well done you lot, great people.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    cabbles said:

@iamdan not sure if you’re on this year mate but did my first of 3 shifts today

Probably the best story of the day was that the centre was able to find temporary accommodation for a young woman who had been living in a car with a 2 month old.

Back in 2mo and Thurs eve so hope to share some more positive stories with you all

Not sure how something like this can even happen as she would have a priority need due to the child so the local authority would have sufficient reason to believe to have an interim duty to provide accommodation while dealing with a homeless application.
  • Options
    Well done @cabbles and @iamdan. My lady applied for us to do the same here I Perth but the centres had an excess of applicants and we were denied. Seemed a bit odd to me for the charity to knock back free help but I guess it’s nice to know so many over here are willing to help out. I hope your shifts go well gents. Merry Christmas to you both.
  • Options
    Strange as Crisis are short on volunteers this year. Not sure whether uptake was poor or people haven’t turned up.
  • Options

cabbles said:

@iamdan not sure if you’re on this year mate but did my first of 3 shifts today

Probably the best story of the day was that the centre was able to find temporary accommodation for a young woman who had been living in a car with a 2 month old.

Back in 2mo and Thurs eve so hope to share some more positive stories with you all

Not sure how something like this can even happen as she would have a priority need due to the child so the local authority would have sufficient reason to believe to have an interim duty to provide accommodation while dealing with a homeless application.
    I have no idea re: the mechanics of the situation mate. I know that they said women with with children get priority which is why the centres are full of single males

I’m just in the middle of my 2nd shift. Hopefully will have some positive stuff to share at the end with you all

Thanks for all the nice messages
  • Options
    Good man @cabbles and anyone else who volunteered
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

It proper hit me a bit today if I’m honest. Didn’t get much sleep and I know I’m always a bit emotional when I’m tired. It was manning the clothing queue and seeing everyone queue up patiently waiting for things I just take forgranted every day. It can be like that and they warn of how emotional it can leave you

The good news stories that they shared at the end of the day were a mother and son who came in in the morning who had been evicted last week and spent last night wandering the streets. They were in the process of speaking with the housing association about accommodation. Another family who were in a similar situation were referred to the centre down the road and I believe they’re going to be staying there for the duration of the week whilst crisis in on, up until the 30th.

On a lighter note, 35 haircuts, 8 health assessments and a few other bits and bobs they said at the end of the brief I didn’t catch

Not back in till Thursday, so @iamdan good luck for the rest of your shifts mate, hope you’re hearing of some similar achievements :-)

It’s just as well there are people like you about mate. Top work.
  • Options
    @cabbles @iamdan could one of you please post up the appropriate link to make a donation to support the work you guys are carrying out.

I’m sure I’m not the only one reading that would like to help in a small way
  • Options

@cabbles @iamdan could one of you please post up the appropriate link to make a donation to support the work you guys are carrying out.

I’m sure I’m not the only one reading that would like to help in a small way

Cheers mate - https://www.crisis.org.uk/get-involved/donate

Whatever anyone gives will be gratefully received
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Nice one @cabbles
    I’ll do a write up soon of my experiences at Harris Bermondsey.

Today i did destroy a guest 6-1 playing crossbars from 18/20 yards on the 3G pitch - made him feel really good about himself..
  • Options

cabbles said:

Last shift finished up about an hour or so and that’s me done for this year.

A couple of stories. One chap who had been sleeping rough for 2 nights and was relatively new to the world of rough sleeping was very fearful of facing a 3rd night. He came into the centre (it’s a day centre), and they managed to refer him to the one down the road that is residential and he has a bed for the next few nights

Another chap who in the words of the co-ordinators has a ‘crew’ that he sleeps rough with, actually enjoyed his time during the day so much having had a haircut etc and been looked after, he decided to take a bed for the night and would be using the centre again 2mo.

According to the centre coordinators and the ones that do it every year, you can only give as much as people are willing to take, so they see anything like that as a victory

Thanks to @AFKABartram for pushing this on twitter and on here re: donating. I know @MartTheTaxi donated and I’m sure many of you have given as well. Really appreciate and really appreciate having this forum to raise awareness.

Appreciate Xmas is a time for families and I know many of you have full schedules at this time of year, but if any of you do fancy it next year, they usually open up for volunteering around Oct time. If you can spare a few days you’d be making a massive difference. Seems the subject has gained a lot of traction this year which obviously bad, but hopefully a raised awareness will help bring about more of a solution

Again thanks for all your kind words and support

If any of you want to know more about it, just PM me :smile:

Cracking work @cabbles. Good lad. Always good to hear other volunteer experiences.

Just clocked off on my second shift at the Bermondsey centre. It was a cold one but everyone seemed in decent spirits. This is my third year now and I honestly can't see any other way to spend Christmas going forward. It's been tough to fit my shifts in around work and other festive commitments this year but I was determined to make it work and so glad I did.

It can definitely be hard going at times but I would wholeheartedly recommend giving it a go if you get the chance.
    Top work mate and glad to read of another lifer doing it. It does seem to be something you stick with if you have the time and fair play to committing to it around work and family. I’m lucky enough to have Xmas off so it is feasible for me

Great stuff
  • Options
    That time of year again. Homelessness no better, sadly, predictably.. here's the link for those who can donate or want to find out more-

https://www.crisis.org.uk/get-involved/reserve-a-place-at-crisis-at-christmas/

• Options
    Harris Bermondsey again for me this year.