Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cryptos

Comments

• Options
    The problem with mining is the bigger the network gets, the less you get from mining. It’s another major flaw in bitcoin, iota and raiblocks seem to have similar solutions, where if you want to make a transaction, you have to validate 2 others. Making the network easily scalable.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

cafcpolo said:

Gulp...

So if I use Coinbase only to buy some Ethereum tokens, I hold them, and in the meantime something bad happens to Coinbase...are my Ether tokens still safe? Is the solution in fact to store the Ether tokens elsewhere?

If you are planning to buy ETH and just hold it for a while then get a hardware wallet like the ledger nano s.
    Yes i read about that last night, (after you had previously mentioned it) but don't I need to go through Coinbase - or something no less dodgy - to buy ETH? I am also fairly convinced by @kentaddick 's case for vechain, so I was planning to have a dabble in that too.

I'm not talking large amounts though. I am listening to Mr Buffett :-)

If you don’t have the key for your wallet, it’s not your wallet. Coinbase iirc are insured by Lloyd’s or some one I think. So it may well be safe in that case but please read terms and conditions. As was said, the most secure way of holding is having a hardware wallet that you yourself can put in a safe.
    Yes, so they say. But what if, for example, it should be concluded that they were holding clients' monies without the appropriate authority? I'm not a betting man but I'd bung a tenner on the insurance policy having a nice clause(s) which would obviate the need for any payout.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcpolo said:

Gulp...

So if I use Coinbase only to buy some Ethereum tokens, I hold them, and in the meantime something bad happens to Coinbase...are my Ether tokens still safe? Is the solution in fact to store the Ether tokens elsewhere?

If you are planning to buy ETH and just hold it for a while then get a hardware wallet like the ledger nano s.
    Yes i read about that last night, (after you had previously mentioned it) but don't I need to go through Coinbase - or something no less dodgy - to buy ETH? I am also fairly convinced by @kentaddick 's case for vechain, so I was planning to have a dabble in that too.

I'm not talking large amounts though. I am listening to Mr Buffett :-)

If you don’t have the key for your wallet, it’s not your wallet. Coinbase iirc are insured by Lloyd’s or some one I think. So it may well be safe in that case but please read terms and conditions. As was said, the most secure way of holding is having a hardware wallet that you yourself can put in a safe.
    Yes, so they say. But what if, for example, it should be concluded that they were holding clients' monies without the appropriate authority? I'm not a betting man but I'd bung a tenner on the insurance policy having a nice clause(s) which would obviate the need for any payout.
    If you're that - possibly correctly - worried about the safety of your funds, purchase and remove them from coin base, it's not that hard.
  • Options
    @kentaddick Had a few "tips" sent to me. Be interested in your thoughts.

Raiblocks (XRB) Will be on Binance soon apparently.

NEO - Chinese Blockchain and an ICOs coming.

EOS - Launch on Jan 31st?

Icon (ICX)

VeChain (VEN) You mentioned this i think?

WanChain Jan 24/25th listings

Zilliqa

and Lisk that will be rebranded.
  • Options

Icon (ICX)... Already done 100x has a bit of legs left

VeChain (VEN) You mentioned this i think?... Good

WanChain Jan 24/25th listing.... Going to be absolutely huge

Zilliqa... Again will be big... Should do 50-100x ico price

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Icon (ICX)... Already done 100x has a bit of legs left

VeChain (VEN) You mentioned this i think?... Good

WanChain Jan 24/25th listing.... Going to be absolutely huge

Zilliqa... Again will be big... Should do 50-100x ico price

Nice one!
  • Options
    Heard that “chain link” is one to watch.
  • Options
    Vechain smashes $7 today..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Warren buffet is an excellent gambler, and I can completely see why he’s steering clear of a technology he doesn’t understand and that’s incredibly volatile. Sure most cryptos now will be worthless and disappeared in the years to come, hell the ones that will stay and have a gigantic impact may not even be in existence yet. It’s a Wild West, if you’re looking to plow your life savings into something, i would tell you not to invest in crypto either. However put in a hundred or two hundred quid, and it can be a fun hobby reading up on different cryptos and plying the market. A bit like going to the races, sure it’s gambling, but if you do your research you can make some money, just don’t rely on that money.
    Lol posting this type of thing every time there markets in correction is as sad as a social revolutionary claiming capitalism is beginning to end every time the stock market has a bad day.
  • Options
    Well Coinbase have now carefully scrutinised my driving licence and deemed that I am worthy of their business. As someone else said, it worked when I took the photos directly to the app on my phone. So this afternoon I may venture cautiously into the black hole...
  • Options
    Good luck PA - let me know how it goes, i'm intending to do the same in the next 2 weeks, I've sold the house, and am now going to put all the equity on Black.
    Was the driving licence your Czech one?
    So, the trick is to download the Coinbase App , and do it from there?
  • Options
    It is just gambling - some will make a fortune and others get cleaned out. If you invest it has to be money you're okay to lose and you need to take profits at the right time.

The lack of regulation is what frightens me.
  • Options

Well Coinbase have now carefully scrutinised my driving licence and deemed that I am worthy of their business. As someone else said, it worked when I took the photos directly to the app on my phone. So this afternoon I may venture cautiously into the black hole...

Let me know if you ever manage to get your money back out of there! still having trouble!
  • Options

Lol. Why? If you have your own wallet on a hard drive you own your crypto is safe from anyone else.
  • Options
    Kent ,a basic question.... how easy is it to get your money back out of Cryptos and back into your Bank Account with 'real' money?
  • Options
    Personally, I know it is high risk and so will avoid.

As long as "investors" are aware that their money could disappear overnight, then it's all good with me and good luck to anyone dabbling.

I got burnt on the dotcom boom, getting in too late and most of them companies have gone 5/10/15 years later.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Kent ,a basic question.... how easy is it to get your money back out of Cryptos and back into your Bank Account with 'real' money?

My boss just got about £2500 out of an exchange after originally putting in a grand, took about 14 days.

He’s a lot better off than I am though obviously lol.
  • Options

Good luck PA - let me know how it goes, i'm intending to do the same in the next 2 weeks, I've sold the house, and am now going to put all the equity on Black.
    Was the driving licence your Czech one?
    So, the trick is to download the Coinbase App , and do it from there?

Looks like it. Also I did it this morning in natural light, which they suggested, to be fair.

I used my UK licence because that's the country where the funds are from. I've found recently that it's good to have those things aligned if possible when carrying out an ecommerce transaction. We pan-Euro citizens are automatically suspected as money launderers and fraudsters.

• Options

Let me know if you ever manage to get your money back out of there! still having trouble!
    I will do, and this is why I am treating this as a flutter of a small amount I could live with losing. !4 days doesn't seem reasonable to me.

• Options

I will do, and this is why I am treating this as a flutter of a small amount I could live with losing. !4 days doesn't seem reasonable to me.

He didn’t use Coinbase but another exchange (ignoring my advice)
  • Options

No, apparently not. Coinbase now saying that they have sent me two small amounts of money to my bank account which I must verify. Well, they are so small, I can't see them...

• Options

Lol. Why? If you have your own wallet on a hard drive you own your crypto is safe from anyone else.
    The market is not regulated - if the currencies have no central regulation it will lead to massive swings which will undoubtedly not be viable in the long term.

From an individual viewpoint massive profits can be made but beyond that how will this translate into day to day activities.

Nobody really seems to be on top of the long term implications.
  • Options
    Telcoin already done 250% before it's touched the exchanges, boom
  • Options
    This looks like a very good beginners' guide to buying Vechain ( or a lot of other coins)
  • Options
    edited January 2018

This looks like a very good beginners' guide to buying Vechain ( or a lot of other coins)

Perfect. Thanks. Good timing.

(And no, that is not sarcasm)
  • Options

Good time to buy Vechain, it’s going through a correction after the last few mental days of growth. Rebrand is just about to happen as well. You’re getting on the rocket just before it’s about to take off