Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cryptos

Comments

• cabbles said:

What happens when some of the larger investors start selling? I’m no expert and we had the very informative bitcoin thread recently but how does this sort of bubble burst. Will it be similar to the dot com one of the early 2000s??

In the olden days, you know, 15 years or so ago, it used to be known as "pump and dump" and was common practice in dodgy share dealing blended with various boiler room scams and the "marketing" of US OTC and Regulation D stocks. Reg D stocks were a particular favourite.

Of course, it's all illegal and the authorities have got much, much smarter at tracking down the perps.

It seems to me that the same (breed of) market manipulator has just moved on to something much less regulated and less easy to detect.

It's like everything really. A big red light should shine whenever the "professionals" start making stuff available to Joe Public who hasn't got a clue as to what is going on or why. I haven't a clue and therefore wouldn't touch with the proverbial barge pole.
  • cafcfan said:

cabbles said:

What happens when some of the larger investors start selling? I’m no expert and we had the very informative bitcoin thread recently but how does this sort of bubble burst. Will it be similar to the dot com one of the early 2000s??

In the olden days, you know, 15 years or so ago, it used to be known as "pump and dump" and was common practice in dodgy share dealing blended with various boiler room scams and the "marketing" of US OTC and Regulation D stocks. Reg D stocks were a particular favourite.

Of course, it's all illegal and the authorities have got much, much smarter at tracking down the perps.

It seems to me that the same (breed of) market manipulator has just moved on to something much less regulated and less easy to detect.

It's like everything really. A big red light should shine whenever the "professionals" start making stuff available to Joe Public who hasn't got a clue as to what is going on or why. I haven't a clue and therefore wouldn't touch with the proverbial barge pole.
    pump and dump is definitely still alive and well in crypto.

You just need to lurk on /biz/ on 4chan to see the pump and dump threads pop up every so often. That's why you need to just stick with the good tech and not go chasing the massive explosions of value that pop up every day now. And hold your nerve.
  • Ive bought several different cryptos.

Bought LTC a few years ago - i thought there was no or little growth in BTC!

Bought Ripple, Etherium a little while ago and recently bought a few random ones that have potential or are just super cheap.

TRON
    Stellar Lumens
    Cardano
    IOTA
  • Just set up a coin base account.
    How long to approve ID.
    I am desperate to lose some money ASAP.
  • Use the app and it's quicker - can take about 48 hours though when they're busy
  • CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Put 2.5k in to a little portfolio last Friday and it's already up to 4.7k.

smiffyboy said:

Over the moon with my ripple investment, it makes money while I sleep.

Out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to cash the lot out?
    Easy, lots of market depth
    Flirting with 10k now... All seems a bit too easy if you do a bit of looking into it.

Really like the Gems Project and think it is the next one worth looking at... Decentralized Mechanical Turk, very strong team of founders and advisors and a great concept.

Also in on Telcoin at the ICO and the Nucleus Vision ICO Whitelist... will get in on Nebulous and WANChain as soon as they hit the exchanges, WANChain is being touted as China's Ripple.
    Vechain marching towards $4 a token when before Christmas it was still $1. That’s with the ridiculous sell walls that have been put up.

There’s still quite a lot of legs in ripple, Coinbase are due to be adding new coins to their marketplace in q1 2018 and ripple has got to be next as it’s now the 2nd largest coin. Waiting for it to explode after that.
    I already hold Vechain, RChain, Ripple, Enigma, Power Ledger and Etherum... 2018 gonna be a good year!
  • Just set up a coin base account.
    How long to approve ID.
    I am desperate to lose some money ASAP.

protip:

Put sterling into coinbase, go to www.gdax.com and log in with your coinbase login (coinbase owns gdax) and transfer your bitcoin to the binance wallet you already set up, so you don't pay transaction fees in getting your money out of coinbase. Then you also have access to being able to buy loads of other cryptos.

There's still some legs in bitcoin, i've been reading about bitcoin lightning which is supposed to get rid of the long waits (hours) for transactions that is a massive bottleneck for bitcoin going forward.
  • Ive bought several different cryptos.

Bought LTC a few years ago - i thought there was no or little growth in BTC!

Bought Ripple, Etherium a little while ago and recently bought a few random ones that have potential or are just super cheap.

TRON
    Stellar Lumens
    Cardano
    IOTA

Nice... Tron still has legs and I have heard rumours Cardano may be joining coin base in 2018
  • raiblocks seems to be the flavour of the moment, similar technology to IOTA but has grown to $27 extremely quickly from pennies over christmas. It's also extremely difficult to get at the moment, which suggests when it gets listed on some more exchanges the price is going up.
  • raiblocks seems to be the flavour of the moment, similar technology to IOTA but has grown to $27 extremely quickly from pennies over christmas. It's also extremely difficult to get at the moment, which suggests when it gets listed on some more exchanges the price is going up.

What are your thoughts on Telcoin?
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:

raiblocks seems to be the flavour of the moment, similar technology to IOTA but has grown to $27 extremely quickly from pennies over christmas. It's also extremely difficult to get at the moment, which suggests when it gets listed on some more exchanges the price is going up.

What are your thoughts on Telcoin?
    literally not read about it til you posted about the ICO, still reading up on it. Where do you go to see what ICO's are on? I've found a token sale for a blockchain i'm interested in in january but that was simply because i realised something with my job would be brilliantly served by blockchain, googled it and found that a new crypto was coming out exactly serving that purpose.
  • Download the Telegram app... There are a few groups with people bouncing round ideas... But find most of them just via reading bits online. Which one are you looking at in Jan?
  • CAFCsayer said:

Download the Telegram app... There are a few groups with people bouncing round ideas... But find most of them just via reading bits online. Which one are you looking at in Jan?

RNDR, it’s using blockchain and “miners” as nodes on a render farm for vfx film
    And tv work. The group behind it OTOY develop a render engine called octane which is pretty powerful.

A bit niche maybe but it fits into my field (motion graphics/vfx work) and the vfx industry is worth billions so.. you never know.
  • cafcfan said:

cabbles said:

The word PONZI keeps coming to mind. Remember people I know getting mixed up with something called Banners Brokers a few years bad. Supposedly the new Google! E- wallets and only dealing in dollars etc etc. Those involved getting quite nasty with anyone questioning it (haters, fake news, threats of legal action etc). Early entrants made money but great majority got fleeced.
  • Chaz Hill said:

cafcfan said:

cabbles said:

The word PONZI keeps coming to mind. Remember people I know getting mixed up with something called Banners Brokers a few years bad. Supposedly the new Google! E- wallets and only dealing in dollars etc etc. Those involved getting quite nasty with anyone questioning it (haters, fake news, threats of legal action etc). Early entrants made money but great majority got fleeced.
    "I don't understand it, so it must be bad"
  • Chaz Hill said:

cafcfan said:

cabbles said:

Yep. That’s the sort of thing they said to me back then :smiley:
  • edited January 2018
    Chaz Hill said:

Chaz Hill said:

cafcfan said:

cabbles said:

i guess the likes of PwC, Yahoo, Microsoft, Fujitsu, Bosch, Google, Santander, the chinese government etc are all in on this big con, eh?
  • have some money stuck in Coinbase, done all that SEPA transfer stuff but it doesn't verify my bank account. Need to find a wallet to transfer either bitcoin or Euros/GBP to so I can withdraw it. Anyone have any advice?
  • Chaz Hill said:

Chaz Hill said:

cafcfan said:

cabbles said:

i guess the likes of PwC, Yahoo, Microsoft, Fujitsu, Bosch, Google, Santander, the chinese government etc are all in on this big con, eh?
    Yep. That's the sort of thing they said to me back then :smile:
  • edited January 2018
    Chaz Hill said:

Chaz Hill said:

Chaz Hill said:

cafcfan said:

cabbles said:

i had no idea many of the world's biggest corporations were official partners of the banners broker scam a few years back, do you have a source?

have some money stuck in Coinbase, done all that SEPA transfer stuff but it doesn't verify my bank account. Need to find a wallet to transfer either bitcoin or Euros/GBP to so I can withdraw it. Anyone have any advice?

log in to gdax https://www.gdax.com using your coinbase log in and maybe do the SEPA transfer through there? You might need to supply verification documents again
  • Sponsored links:

• I got curious and tried trading a few coins over the last 2 and a half weeks, and it's been a bit addictive to be honest. I've turned $120 in to - at the moment - $300 - and although I could quite happily throw a lot more money in there, it doesn't seem very wise. $120 was a nice amount I wouldn't have been especially gutted if I'd lost.

I got lucky when Bitcoin was dipping by putting everything in to things which were increasing in value (Ethereum, and Ripple IIRC), then I made a couple of trades a day - out of boredom tbh - on things as they're rising, with a stop loss and a pre-defined sell order. Most trades result in a very small profit, but given that the underlying currency is BTC - it all pays off.

The exchange I'm using - Binance - has a decent selection of altcoins and pairs, but I think it's still a bit unpolished. "30 minute" maintenance in the night took over 90 minutes, and it doesn't take a genius to guess what effect that had when everyone was able to log back in!

As for pump'n'dump schemes - it definitely is happening. Follow John McAfee (of McAfee Anti-Virus fame) on Twitter, and you'll see that whenever he mentions a coin it skyrockets nearly immediately - allegedly he accepts payment for mentioning coins... However, if you're wise and don't get greedy, I've found it quite easy to leech off the back the pump'n'dump schemes.
  • Chaz Hill said:

Chaz Hill said:

Chaz Hill said:

cafcfan said:

cabbles said:

i had no idea many of the world's biggest corporations were official partners of the banners broker scam a few years back, do you have a source?

have some money stuck in Coinbase, done all that SEPA transfer stuff but it doesn't verify my bank account. Need to find a wallet to transfer either bitcoin or Euros/GBP to so I can withdraw it. Anyone have any advice?

log in to gdax https://www.gdax.com using your coinbase log in and maybe do the SEPA transfer through there? You might need to supply verification documents again
    Thanks will try tonight
  • LuckyReds said:

I got curious and tried trading a few coins over the last 2 and a half weeks, and it's been a bit addictive to be honest. I've turned $120 in to - at the moment - $300 - and although I could quite happily throw a lot more money in there, it doesn't seem very wise. $120 was a nice amount I wouldn't have been especially gutted if I'd lost.

I got lucky when Bitcoin was dipping by putting everything in to things which were increasing in value (Ethereum, and Ripple IIRC), then I made a couple of trades a day - out of boredom tbh - on things as they're rising, with a stop loss and a pre-defined sell order. Most trades result in a very small profit, but given that the underlying currency is BTC - it all pays off.

The exchange I'm using - Binance - has a decent selection of altcoins and pairs, but I think it's still a bit unpolished. "30 minute" maintenance in the night took over 90 minutes, and it doesn't take a genius to guess what effect that had when everyone was able to log back in!

As for pump'n'dump schemes - it definitely is happening. Follow John McAfee (of McAfee Anti-Virus fame) on Twitter, and you'll see that whenever he mentions a coin it skyrockets nearly immediately - allegedly he accepts payment for mentioning coins... However, if you're wise and don't get greedy, I've found it quite easy to leech off the back the pump'n'dump schemes.

McAfee claiming none of it was him and his twitter was hacked somehow
  • LuckyReds said:

I got curious and tried trading a few coins over the last 2 and a half weeks, and it's been a bit addictive to be honest. I've turned $120 in to - at the moment - $300 - and although I could quite happily throw a lot more money in there, it doesn't seem very wise. $120 was a nice amount I wouldn't have been especially gutted if I'd lost.

exactly same here, ive turned £200 into sometthing fairly significant by researching and gettting in on coins when they were cheap that had good tech. As i said earlier in the thread, never investt anything into anything tthat you cant afford to lose, especially high risk, high reward world of crypto. The very best tactic is to find an undervalued coin (imo vechain is still seriously undervalued for it's partnerships) and hold for a couple of years.
  • edited January 2018
    Finally stuck a bit on ripple today after saying that a month ago it was a no brainer and missing the recent spike !
  • edited January 2018
    shine166 said:

Finally stuck a bit on ripple today after saying that a month ago it was a no brainer and missing the recent spike !

It’s still rising. I read the founder of ripple still owns about 17% of all the ripple in existence, meaning if the price keeps rising his ripple might make him worth more than bill gates
  • shine166 said:

It’s still rising. I read the founder of ripple still owns about 17% of all the ripple in existence, meaning if the price keeps rising his ripple might make him worth more than bill gates
    You using the exchange to store your currency or have you got a paper wallet?
  • Having said what I said ripple is now down 10%..
  • Have you made any withdrawals?
  • Having said what I said ripple is now down 10%..

Ive only put a little bit in, still plenty of legs though if amazon get on board