Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cryptos

Comments

• Options

When the bubble inevitably bursts and the current $600bn or so of total 'coin value' falls to something insignificant, I guarantee that no-one will admit to having any part in that monumental loss (or 'redistribution') of wealth.

We’ll have no negativity on here, old chap. You are heading for a flag unless you change your ways :smile:
  • Options
    Buy what you can afford to lose etc, Ive wasted far more money in my life on actual betting !
  • Options
    Bought a small amount of Ethereum yesterday just to dip the toes so to speak. Dropped nearly 20% since but in all honesty we wanted to see how it went and are doing it more long term so I don’t think we need to be worried.
  • Options
    Absolute bloodbath... Its buying time
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Absolute bloodbath... Its buying time

Bingo,

Transferred loads to Neo which is the only one holding up alright, now time to buy myself more Vechain :3
  • Options
    Hope you got in at Neo when it dipped down to 100!
  • Options
    Markets picking back up again. Time to buy is running out
  • Options
    vechain under 5$ is a great buy
  • Options
    Interesting that the cryptos with real life application haven’t dipped as much as the others.
  • Options

Interesting that the cryptos with real life application haven’t dipped as much as the others.

I'm pretty sure that Bitcoin will be replaced as the "gold" at some point. Just unsure how long that will take! Etherium is having a good go at it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm pretty sure that Bitcoin will be replaced as the "gold" at some point. Just unsure how long that will take! Etherium is having a good go at it.
    It will be ethereum. A lot of cryptos are based off it.
  • Options

....and this is what happened next

You trying to tell me I should double up ?
  • Options

It will be ethereum. A lot of cryptos are based off it.
    Agree.

Am heavily into Litecoin at the moment. Bought years ago.

Tempted to swap out for Etherium.
  • Options

You don't understand. This time is different.
  • Options

Chaz Hill said:
    Great polemic, but I think @kentaddick has already made some good counterpoints. Seems to me we already have a consensus on this thread that bitcoin isn't a "currency".

It's called a crypto "currency", clue's in the name, people use them to buy drugs and guns and other currencies. Dispute is whether one day we will need them to buy bread in Tesco. Problem is you cypherpunks will have bought up all the Bitcoins so we will all go hungry, or use that money stuff.

They are an investment, you buy them with the prospect of selling them for a profit, don't take any notice of the Guardian, have you read the rubbish it prints on Brexit :smile:
    Hurr durr greenhouses are green it’s in the name.

Flagged for trolling, I’m all for debates but when you wilfully ignore all of the reading that’s been posted and just deliberately come in and repeatedly post completely stupid stuff that’s been obviously reputed later on in the thread. It’s just trolling.
    Sad post.

Nothing i have read or heard convinces me that there is value in crypto currency, the value is in application of the technology. I am repeating myself because there is nothing else to say.

I have an acquaintance with Nick Ayrton who publishes and talks at seminars on crypto currency and he believes in it like a religion, driven i think by a passionate hatred of banks. He doesn't call me a troll for having a different view. He keeps asking when he can put his pension in Bitcoins and I tell him when hell freezes over, adults can beg to differ, grow up.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

And here is the Nikkei index from the late-1980s - all bubbles have very similar price charts - notice in each case the late explosive price move, the initial sell-off, the failed attempt to breach previous highs and then the capitulation...

• Options

shine166 said:

And here is the Nikkei index from the late-1980s - all bubbles have very similar price charts - notice in each case the late explosive price move, the initial sell-off, the failed attempt to breach previous highs and then the capitulation...

Personally, i do think the price will drop massively - at some point.

The question is, how far along the graph are we. In my opinion (not worth jack really), i dont think we've hit the peak yet. It'll be a year or two before that will happen.

On that graph, i'd say we're in 1987.
  • Options

Chaz Hill said:
    Great polemic, but I think @kentaddick has already made some good counterpoints. Seems to me we already have a consensus on this thread that bitcoin isn't a "currency".

It's called a crypto "currency", clue's in the name, people use them to buy drugs and guns and other currencies. Dispute is whether one day we will need them to buy bread in Tesco. Problem is you cypherpunks will have bought up all the Bitcoins so we will all go hungry, or use that money stuff.

They are an investment, you buy them with the prospect of selling them for a profit, don't take any notice of the Guardian, have you read the rubbish it prints on Brexit :smile:

Flagged for trolling, I’m all for debates but when you wilfully ignore all of the reading that’s been posted and just deliberately come in and repeatedly post completely stupid stuff that’s been obviously reputed later on in the thread. It’s just trolling.
    Sad post.

Nothing i have read or heard convinces me that there is value in crypto currency, the value is in application of the technology. I am repeating myself because there is nothing else to say.

I have an acquaintance with Nick Ayrton who publishes and talks at seminars on crypto currency and he believes in it like a religion, driven i think by a passionate hatred of banks. He doesn't call me a troll for having a different view. He keeps asking when he can put his pension in Bitcoins and I tell him when hell freezes over, adults can beg to differ, grow up.
    If you have nothing left to say, why post at all? Strange.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The similarity in the shape of the Bitcoin price chart and the Nasdaq price chart from the late-1990s is quite striking.

And yet something with real world partnerships and applications like Neo and Vechain are doing okay today. Look for who’s doing okay as the bubble begins to burst.
  • Options
    It even holds for Florida house prices in the 2000s (albeit indexed monthly) - even here you can see the failed attempt to breach the previous high:

• Options

Chaz Hill said:

Sad post.

I was joshing with @PragueAddick, nothing to do with you. Get back to the playground and behave.
  • Options

Chaz Hill said:

Sad post.

I was joshing with @PragueAddick, nothing to do with you. Get back to the playground and behave.
    Another personal attack. Top posting
  • Options
    lets draw a line under all this now eh?

this has been a good thread so far.
  • Options
    OK Miss, but he started it.
  • Options
    Bloody hell - I need you two for my house overlooking the Atlantic, just keep posting !
  • Options
    Hot off the press.

Bitcoin could hit $100,000 in 2018, an analyst who correctly predicted the cryptocurrency's rally at the start of last year told CNBC on Tuesday.

Kay Van-Petersen, an analyst at Saxo Bank, added that other rival digital coins could also outperform.

Only 3 hours ago, same day as Bitcoin price collapses, an online trading exchange that holds a reserve of Bitcoins it needs to offload, so has no conflict of interest, says the Bitcoin will hit $100,000 this year. We can believe anything Van-Petersen says because he holds a shedload of Bitcoins, he could not possibly be tempted to make spurious claims in order to get buyers back in the market.

Pile in folks.

At some stage the penny will drop that the only people who are guaranteed winners are the miners who get free Bitcoins and the traders who make a margin on a trade. Not including making a margin by manipulating the price that clients get, for which Saxo Bank has been accused of on several occasions in respect of regulated activities. Non regulated means they can screw clients as much as they want.
  • Options
    oof.

Well, last night I put a small amount of money in, most of it into Vechain, leaving the balance in Ethereum.

Funny enough what finally made me shell out was a film I was watching on Saturday night, called The Russia Job. It's a slightly disappointing doc. about the Russian auto giant AvtoVaz (makers of Lada) and what happened when a Swedish turnaround manager became its CEO (I had a brief and unrewarding biz connection with this as a group of Czech friends had consultancy gigs there). Anyway, having failed, he recounts that one of his measures to counteract the industrial scale stealing that was going on was to barcode every single part. When he left, they abolished that the next day. Well, as i have read, Vechain is the high tech upgrade from that barcoding and with the very same objective. A new-tech solution that combats theft and corruption in manufacturing business? That's something I can both explain, and like, and if I can make a bit of wedge by backing it, then I am in. It's nothing to do with a "currency". As such it has little to do with Bitcoin, and the sooner it can distance itself from that and similar nonsense, the better.

Whether by buying VE tokens I really have "invested" in Vechain as a business, may still be an open question, but it's a punt I am happy to take.
  • Options

Hot off the press.

Bitcoin could hit $100,000 in 2018, an analyst who correctly predicted the cryptocurrency's rally at the start of last year told CNBC on Tuesday.

Kay Van-Petersen, an analyst at Saxo Bank, added that other rival digital coins could also outperform.

Only 3 hours ago, same day as Bitcoin price collapses, an online trading exchange that holds a reserve of Bitcoins it needs to offload, so has no conflict of interest, says the Bitcoin will hit $100,000 this year. We can believe anything Van-Petersen says because he holds a shedload of Bitcoins, he could not possibly be tempted to make spurious claims in order to get buyers back in the market.

Pile in folks.

At some stage the penny will drop that the only people who are guaranteed winners are the miners who get free Bitcoins and the traders who make a margin on a trade. Not including making a margin by manipulating the price that clients get, for which Saxo Bank has been accused of on several occasions in respect of regulated activities. Non regulated means they can screw clients as much as they want.

lol nope.

Again, do a bit more reading. Mining isn’t “free” bitcoins. In fact you could argue they are risking more than people who trade bitcoin speculatively.