Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ToysRUs going to the wall - avoidable?

13»

Comments

• edited March 2018
    Management incompetence?

Maplin recently moved their Chatham (Luton Arches) store which was small, isolated with naff all parking, to a new one in Strood. By all accounts, i have not needed to visit, people are impressed with it. After all it is unusual to find a store in Strood that does not charge 99p for EVERYTHING.

This had happened in the last 3 months. I know leases expire etc but why expand when your business is heading down the shitter?

Baffles me but i am just worker class.
  • cabbles said:

Their stock keep has always been their downfall.

Who in their right minds thought it would be wise to have millions of Jeffries all under one roof?

Just fucking laughed out loud at my desk at that and my boss is in a grumpy mood so just gave me the death stare

Quality
    Then again if you work in the funeral trade taking initial enquiries online it's not on, is it?
  • Management incompetence?

Maplin recently moved their Chatham (Luton Arches) store which was small, isolated with naff all parking, to a new one in Strood. By all accounts, i have not needed to visit, people are impressed with it. After all it is unusual to find a store in Strood that does not charge 99p for EVERYTHING.

This had happened in the last 3 months. I know leases expire etc but why expand when your business is heading down the shitter?

Baffles me but i am just worker class.

That one under the arches was a pain in the cock
  • Retail is in serious trouble. The amount of retailers posting profit warnings should signal alarm bells.

Supermarkets/retailers have higher rents,wages etc to pay for. Whilst naturally everyone wants to find cheaper online, invariably this is amazon.

5 years from now, unless things change in costs there won't be a high street. How many people in the UK are employed in the retail sector? It's a worrying thought imo
  • My local TRU started its process of closing down today. 10-20% off of everything and my God was the place busy. Must have been fifty people in the line me to pay when I went in at 3pm
  • I wonder if the owners thought of that, reduce prices and you get a lot of customers.
  • I always found Toys R Us quite good. Last couple of years I've booked stuff online & collected from a store a day or two later & many of the stores are in retail parks & so easy to park & no hassle.

I did hear that one of the current problems isn't to do with lack of sales but the fact that they have to put over £10m into their pension fund before a buyer can be found.

Reminds me of this

https://youtu.be/cEpKcBkkVMY
  • edited March 2018
    LenGlover said:

Carter said:

What with the intetnet, the "big 4" (but mainly Tesco) and out of town precincts like Bluewater, all that will be left on the high streets will be fast food outlets, betting shops and the odd haberdashery here and there

and Turkish barbers.
    Bar a few exceptions every high street is the same victims of this corporate vandalism

Councils aren't blameless, they should have made town centre parking cheaper if not free years ago to help local economies out.

This.

Shopping is a stressful experience at the best of times without the added worry and hassle of parking difficulties.

If a place makes it difficult and unpleasant for me to visit I don't bother.
    We'd all like never to have to pay for parking ever but it's not practical. After 8 years of austerity politics local authorities are left with the choice of raising additional income where they can or cutting services. Elected officials are not going to close more day centres or libraries or toilets if they think they can stick an extra 20p/hour on parking or introduce charges where there weren't and get away with it.

My own local authority is always doing bits and pieces to attract shoppers to the high street; mini festivals, food stalls, car/bike shows, etc. and all councils are attempting to support local commerce but there's only so much money to go around.

Just to reiterate councils do not set nor receive the income directly from business rates. They collect it on behalf of HM Treasury where it goes into a big pot where, if they are lucky and the formula works in their favour, they get some back through the central grant system.
  • 8 years.
    Sad.