Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL's Favourite Albums: The Final - Revolver vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

124»

Comments

• Options
    Maybe it is all about attention spans these days.
    It is possible to swipe on if gratification isn't instant, scenes from soap operas and other telly are 30 seconds, adverts are short and impactful and so on.
    In the old days we used to talk about 'getting into' a piece of music and were prepared to allow it to do it's work. A good example of this is the artfully constructed Déjà Vu by Crosby Stills and Nash which has its reward if you listen to it through.
    Personally I am all for having some Jazz or Faure, or Sister Ray on the Alexa whilst cooking without the need to change.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Maybe it is all about attention spans these days.
    It is possible to swipe on if gratification isn't instant, scenes from soap operas and other telly are 30 seconds, adverts are short and impactful and so on.
    In the old days we used to talk about 'getting into' a piece of music and were prepared to allow it to do it's work. A good example of this is the artfully constructed Déjà Vu by Crosby Stills and Nash which has its reward if you listen to it through.
    Personally I am all for having some Jazz or Faure, or Sister Ray on the Alexa whilst cooking without the need to change.

I know I've mentioned Beefheart lots of times on here, but my wife's uncle told me about when he first bought Trout Mask Replica in the late '60s/early '70s. He thought it was the most dreadful thing he'd ever heard, but had spent all this money on it and decided to persevere with it. It grew on him and he rates it very highly now. If Spotify had been around in 1969, he (as I initially did) would probably have switched it off after the first track and we wouldn't have gone to see the Magic Band together almost half a century later.

I usually listen to a new album all the way through a good few times before forming an opinion on it because for some reason, a lot of music doesn't grab me instantly and I need to let it grow on me in time.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I think this is a good point. However my stepson who is 28 is very open to a wide range of music...he digs up obscure lengthy Japanese jazz rock electronica fusion recordings from the mid/late 70s and plays it to me and his mum as dinner music :-)

I uses to be the one that listened to "challenging" music. Nowadays I keep trying to sneak on a bit of Bach!