Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Waggott appointed chief executive of Blackburn

Comments

• Options
    If it's anymore than I pay my window cleaner she's nicking a living!
  • Options
    What happened to resigngate? Have they arrested Frank Bruno yet?
  • Options

Not a very nice debate. Seems like one ex employee digging out another one. I don't know the in and outs of this case but this all seems a very unnecessary dig at someone who can't reply. And the comparison at the start with KM isn't really appropriate.

I think we had what amounts to three people at SW's level at the time, which for a business the size of CAFC is extravagant. However it's totally typical of the way that infrastructure can get out of control in the premier league. In the end, whatever we paid him it pales in comparison with the money blown on useless players and managers.
  • Options
    SW was a very pleasant guy, just not very effective.

The last meeting I attended when he was there, I managed to get 12 out of 15 boxes ticked off on my 'Management Speak Bingo Card'.

If I remember correctly both 'robust' and 'holistic' were ticked off three times each.

At least he never 'sweated the asset'.
  • Options
    Yawn...the geezer left the club years ago! Who cares how much he earnt back then? That was a fuck up by the previous "regime"
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Not a very nice debate. Seems like one ex employee digging out another one. I don't know the in and outs of this case but this all seems a very unnecessary dig at someone who can't reply. And the comparison at the start with KM isn't really appropriate.

I think we had what amounts to three people at SW's level at the time, which for a business the size of CAFC is extravagant. However it's totally typical of the way that infrastructure can get out of control in the premier league. In the end, whatever we paid him it pales in comparison with the money blown on useless players and managers.
    True, but it wasn’t a Premier League thing. An extra post was created on the way down - and actually it was that third person (Steve Kavanagh) who did the vast majority of the work. And Varney was still chief exec until 2008.
  • Options
    Waggott wants to make Blackburn like us (when he was here) and Barcelona.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/16157162.Rovers_to_go_the_Barca_Way/?ref=mac
  • Options
    Christ almighty.....he gets around!
  • Options

Christ almighty.....he gets around!

I get quite a few.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I’ll just leave this here.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/34577/Is-this-man-the-real-saviour-of-English-football/amp

Note at the time Steve was chief executive of CACT, not the football club. He had as much responsibility for ticket prices as Jonathan Acworth.

My favourite bit is where 600,000 people a year visit the stadium other than on matchdays, which is about 2,000 a day. Every day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/34577/Is-this-man-the-real-saviour-of-English-football/amp

Note at the time Steve was chief executive of CACT, not the football club. He had as much responsibility for ticket prices as Jonathan Acworth.

My favourite bit is where 600,000 people a year visit the stadium other than on matchdays, which is about 2,000 a day. Every day.

I see no mention of visits in a year. Fake news. :smile:

"Nearly 600,000 members of the community of all ages, who would otherwise have no place (or perhaps even desire) to learn or develop, are welcomed into the ground’s facilities for free."
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I see no mention of visits in a year. Fake news. :smile:

"Nearly 600,000 members of the community of all ages, who would otherwise have no place (or perhaps even desire) to learn or develop, are welcomed into the ground’s facilities for free."
    Fair point. Perhaps it was every day? It’s more than the entire population of Greenwich and Bexley.
  • Options

I stopped reading at "Alan Pardew's rapidly improving team....."
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Article in today’s times(behind a paywall )  re Andy Cole move from Bristol City to Newcastle ..doesn’t paint waggott or Paul Elliott in good light 

• Options
    Football is full of leaches...
  • Options
    Scum behaviour 
  • Options
    For the record I’m not a bitter ex employee 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No wonder he was known as the Geordie Smiler.
  • Options
    The ST article .. for my part I have always regarded Paul Elliott (like his namesake) as somewhat disreputable .. dodgy dealings with Richard Rufus, suspicion of having a laugh at Cole's expense, repeated efforts to get a gig within the 'race relations' industry and at one time a candidate for the chairmanship of CAFC, absolutely laughable if is wasn't just a real w t f situation
    And Waggott is now the chairman of Blackburn (unless there is another Waggott S within the 'industry'). Football is awash with cash and where there's brass there's muck, to reverse an old northern adage
  • Options
    Waggott is quite cheap compared with some of the 'consultancy fees' flying out of The Valley earlier in the year.

Ain't that right Amis?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Waggott is quite cheap compared with some of the 'consultancy fees' flying out of The Valley earlier in the year.

Ain't that right Amis?
    Not so much.
  • Options
    The ST article .. for my part I have always regarded Paul Elliott (like his namesake) as somewhat disreputable .. dodgy dealings with Richard Rufus, suspicion of having a laugh at Cole's expense, repeated efforts to get a gig within the 'race relations' industry and at one time a candidate for the chairmanship of CAFC, absolutely laughable if is wasn't just a real w t f situation
    And Waggott is now the chairman of Blackburn (unless there is another Waggott S within the 'industry'). Football is awash with cash and where there's brass there's muck, to reverse an old northern adage
    I thought Rufus was the dodgy one?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

I am in touch with Paul Elliott (former player) and what I do know is he is absolute passionate about all things Charlton, is very articulate and comes across as a complete gent in person and in emails.
  • Options
    Do we know for certain that this is the same Steve Waggott?
  • Options

I am in touch with Paul Elliott (former player) and what I do know is he is absolute passionate about all things Charlton, is very articulate and comes across as a complete gent in person and in emails.

Most con men do.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Most con men do.
    Hey......come on fella that’s stronging it a bit don’t you think; if you’re reffering to our Paul Elliott that is?
  • Options
    Two Paul Elliotts, there's only two Paul Elliotts......