Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Expressions people get wrong

Comments

• Options
    People mixing up generally and genuinely really gets to me.
  • Options
    'I can't hardly see'.
  • Options
    A colleague once asked "how many cigarettes are in a ten pack?"
    Wonderful woman, just not the brightest spark.
  • Options

"What do they think we slapped all the way over to Belgium for if not to have our voice heard ? "

Either everyone was slapping each other like Reeves and Mortimer or it should be schlepped.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/schlep

That’s nice!............Mrs Brown.
  • Options
    Is it ironic or ironical.....you choose?
  • Options
    Are instead of our (or vice versa)
    His instead of he's (or vice versa)
    Somethink
    Nothink
    Aksed instead of asked
  • Options

Is it ironic or ironical.....you choose?

The irony is that most things people say is ironic actually aren't.
  • Options

Stig said:

Stig said:

The proof is in the pudding.

I don't get how this derivation of the saying has come about......because it doesn’t make any sense.

Another modern derivation that doesn't make any sense is, 'you can't have your cake and eat it'. I should be, 'you can't eat your cake and have it'.
    It was always the former in our family, never heard the latter until this thread. However, each is OK because AND is commutative so both expressions mean exactly the same thing. "You can either have your cake or you can eat it" also means the same as long as you accept the OR is exclusive not inclusive.
    Like you, I'd never heard the original version. I only discovered it when I looked up the 'have your cake and eat it' version one day because it is senseless: If you 'have your cake', i.e. you possess a cake, you can eat it. Other than bakers and supermarkets, there would be absolutely no point in anyone ever having a cake if they couldn't eat it. The unused original phrase makes perfect sense though; the very process of eating your cake destroys it. Once eaten it no longer exists. Two very different phrases. Unfortunately the meaningful one has become defunct.
    No, as I said, the two mean the same thing. There is no mention of time, of one coming after the other. If you have you cake, you haven't eaten it. If you've eaten your cake, you don't have it. If it said "You can't have your cake and THEN eat it", I'd agree with you, that doesn't make sense but you're inferring a temporal relationship that isn't stated.
    You are right that I am inferring a temporal relationship that isn't actually stated. However that inference is one that we make all the time. If I was to tell you that, "Holmes crossed into the box and Magennis scored". After you'd picked yourself up from the floor, your understanding would be that Magennis scored directly from Holmes' cross. You wouldn't need 'then' to understand it. You would know that I wouldn't be telling you about the cross if it didn't lead to the goal. 'You can't eat your cake and have it' is clear in it's meaning that once eaten your cake no longer exists. Whilst I concede that 'You can't have your cake and and eat it' could mean the same thing, it is ambiguous in that it suggests the possibility of some force stopping you from consuming a cake that you possess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ‘Edge your bets’ instead of ‘hedge your bets’

‘Very unique’. No, it’s very rare, or very unusual, or it is unique. There is no sliding scale, something is either unique or it isn’t.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I used to say 'self defecating humor' until I was gently corrected by one of the natives...
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Stig said:

Stig said:

Stig said:

The proof is in the pudding.

I don't get how this derivation of the saying has come about......because it doesn’t make any sense.

Another modern derivation that doesn't make any sense is, 'you can't have your cake and eat it'. I should be, 'you can't eat your cake and have it'.
    It was always the former in our family, never heard the latter until this thread. However, each is OK because AND is commutative so both expressions mean exactly the same thing. "You can either have your cake or you can eat it" also means the same as long as you accept the OR is exclusive not inclusive.
    Like you, I'd never heard the original version. I only discovered it when I looked up the 'have your cake and eat it' version one day because it is senseless: If you 'have your cake', i.e. you possess a cake, you can eat it. Other than bakers and supermarkets, there would be absolutely no point in anyone ever having a cake if they couldn't eat it. The unused original phrase makes perfect sense though; the very process of eating your cake destroys it. Once eaten it no longer exists. Two very different phrases. Unfortunately the meaningful one has become defunct.
    No, as I said, the two mean the same thing. There is no mention of time, of one coming after the other. If you have you cake, you haven't eaten it. If you've eaten your cake, you don't have it. If it said "You can't have your cake and THEN eat it", I'd agree with you, that doesn't make sense but you're inferring a temporal relationship that isn't stated.
    You are right that I am inferring a temporal relationship that isn't actually stated. However that inference is one that we make all the time. If I was to tell you that, "Holmes crossed into the box and Magennis scored". After you'd picked yourself up from the floor, your understanding would be that Magennis scored directly from Holmes' cross. You wouldn't need 'then' to understand it. You would know that I wouldn't be telling you about the cross if it didn't lead to the goal. 'You can't eat your cake and have it' is clear in it's meaning that once eaten your cake no longer exists. Whilst I concede that 'You can't have your cake and and eat it' could mean the same thing, it is ambiguous in that it suggests the possibility of some force stopping you from consuming a cake that you possess.
    If you told me Holmes crossed and Magennis scored, you're right, I'd have to pick myself off the floor. However, I'd be inferring a relationship between the two acts that you haven't explicitly stated. It could have been that Holmes crossed in the first minute and Magennis scored in the 90th minute and the two acts had nothing to do with each other. Of course, it would probably be perfectly reasonable for me to make that inference because of the context in which we were having the conversation.

However, in the matter of the possession and consumption of the cake, I've always taken it as two statements about the state of the cake and to mean the two states are mutually exclusive. Having said that, the eat / have order is, as you say, unambiguous.
  • Options
    Mondee instead of Monday
  • Options
    Laura Norder
  • Options
    Cause of link.

Nope you mean causal link.
  • Options
    Breggsit. Nope you mean brexit.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Used to work with a guy who would say guitar instead of catarr.

"I can't come in today, I've got a sore throat and guitar."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bosses wife - venezuelan, i asked her the other day if she knew if such and such had paid and she went " it doesn't ring my bells"
  • Options
    I hate it when people put their heroes on Peddle Stools...
  • Options
    Anything 'coming to tuition' is one of my favourites.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Fiiish said:

People who say literally when they mean anything other than literally.

E.g. it was so funny I literally exploded.

I agree. But unfortunately the meaning of literally has now changed, and to say 'I literally exploded' is ok apparently in an informal context.

Informal: 'used for emphasis while not being literally true.'

This literally makes my blood boil.
  • Options
    People who say borrow instead of lend, as in "Can you borrow me a fiver?"

And @JamesSeed is right, the dictionary literally says "Literally: not literally". I guess it makes sense in a bad == good in 80s style type of things, but it is a little crazy.
  • Options
    Died in the wool rather than dyed in the wool rears its ugly head every now and again.
  • Options
    Bloke at work was always using the expression he or she "Turned round and said----".
    I wondered if everyone he knew faced away from him before turning round to speak.
    But then he was an obnoxious twat.
    Or should that be an obnouxshas twat!!