Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Star Wars Ep VIII - Last Jedi - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Comments

• Carter said:

Just got back on from watching it, a good barometer is my wife liked it and as much as I've tried to force her to watch the previous films she had outright turned her nose up at them.

I enjoyed it, I can understand the criticisms because we are all critics these days. My mickey mouse criticisms for what they are worth were covered by Jimmy.

Embrace stuff like this, it's what massive cinema screens and loud speakers are there for. Proper big, films are to be cherished.

The cynical marketing was in full swing at the cinema I watched at. They did have a couple of stormtroopers standing guard that kids were having their picture taken with which I thought was quality and the kids looked like they loved it too

Admit it, it was you having your photo taken wasn’t it mate.
  • Bloke behind me was munching popcorn pretty much the whole film , really loudly, it sounded like the death star taking off , will need to go back to get a second opinion.
  • Bloke behind me was munching popcorn pretty much the whole film , really loudly, it sounded like the death star taking off , will need to go back to get a second opinion.

I'm going to see it again tomorrow with my daughter. I know I'll get a hundred and one questions throughout.

That's why cinemas don't rock my world too much. You can never be sure about the potential nobs around you

The Death Star doesn't take off though.

The Death Star doesn't take off though.
    Just seeing who is awake!
  • A poor film that felt like something I'd seen a million times before. I nodded off twice.
  • Carter said:

Just got back on from watching it, a good barometer is my wife liked it and as much as I've tried to force her to watch the previous films she had outright turned her nose up at them.

I enjoyed it, I can understand the criticisms because we are all critics these days. My mickey mouse criticisms for what they are worth were covered by Jimmy.

Embrace stuff like this, it's what massive cinema screens and loud speakers are there for. Proper big, films are to be cherished.

The cynical marketing was in full swing at the cinema I watched at. They did have a couple of stormtroopers standing guard that kids were having their picture taken with which I thought was quality and the kids looked like they loved it too

I wanted to

Wife told me to grow up, I'm still sulking to be honest
  • Carter said:

Carter said:

I wanted to

Saw it again this morning with my daughter. Had a stormtrooper standing guard and couldn’t resist getting one take with us!
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:

Carter said:

I wanted to

Saw it again this morning with my daughter. Had a stormtrooper standing guard and couldn’t resist getting one take with us!
    Was it any less disappointing second time around?
  • Fumbluff said:

Carter said:

Carter said:

I wanted to

Was it any less disappointing second time around?
    No mate, loved it just as much
  • Too long, too many jokes, but I'll admit there were some good ones.

Luke belittling Kylo was well done.

Gleeson is class as he is in everything I've seen him in, shame they didn't have his dad too.

Ade Edmonson was a nice surprise.

I though Finn was going out in a blaze of glory but they screwed that up.

How do I feel about Finn being given a Chinese(?) love interest? Not that there's anything wrong with that per se, but did they think they can't hook up the black guy with a Caucasian partner?

I thought Daisy Ridley was good in the previous film but I wasn't that impressed with her this time out.

As the BBFC card came up at the start, Darths Vader and Maul appeared at the front of the cinema with their lightsabers glowing red in the darkness. Nice touch by PeckhamPlex.
  • Just home from seeing it, I enjoyed it.

Don't know why people can't just go and watch a film without analysing every scene and looking for plot holes and things that don't work, I go to watch a film to not have to think about anything for a couple of hours!!

I do think the jokes probably weren't necessary, Luke brushing his shoulder was a bit cringe and if it was up to me I would have let Finn go out a blaze of glory,

None of the new films have been poor and the law of averages means we are due a bad one so I fully expect the Han Solo one to be a stinker.
  • Saw it this afternoon

Really enjoyed it and more importantly so did my 7 and 4 year olds.

Can just imagine you lot after seeing the original Star Wars picking through all the holes.

Mid 30’s plus is not the age group the series was intended for.

Watch it again through your 8,12,15 year old self’s eyes and you will see an amazing film where good battles evil and despite set backs good lives to fight another day.
  • MrOneLung said:

Saw it this afternoon

Can just imagine you lot after seeing the original Star Wars picking through all the holes.

Watch it again through your 8,12,15 year old self’s eyes and you will see an amazing film where good battles evil and despite set backs good lives to fight another day.

I think this is it. I saw a few review videos absolutely ripping it to shreds and whilst I was disappointed there was not a bit more story building to Snoke or more of Luke with a lightsabre I enjoyed it.

It's the same as the Lord of the rings films in that they aren't going to be high brow and deep. They are stories held together by adventures and set pieces.

This is probably best shown to me in how I saw a load of new star warsey stuff and instantly thought "product placement" whereas the version of me at 8 years old would have absolutely loved the puffin things, the guns, the battleships and probably been a royal pain in the arse in wanting to own some of this shit. It took me a very long time to realise the closest I'll get to a lightsabre duel is smashing up fluorescent light tubes at work.

I'm happy to regress to being 8/9/10 whatever years old to enjoy these films
  • I really enjoyed it, the wife liked the comedy bits but was a bit lost on most of the plot while the 14 year old slept through most of it but it is the first SW film she's seen and she had no clue about any of the back story

Really wishing I hadn't taken them all to see it as apparently I now have to go and see Pitch Perfect 3 with them next week
  • Sponsored links:

• I fear this is what happens when fans are allowed to write scripts - a similar thing happens when kids that are fans grow up and are allowed to shape their fantasy from childhood in other movies and TV shows. Dr Who has had some issues with this with some bizarre new facts coming out about various things.

Sometimes with Sci-Fi it is better not to try to explain every last little thing.

I also think that there is a feeling of needing to shock in Star Wars and to prove that no-one is beyond being killed off.

With Carrie Fisher’s sad passing away it leaves none of the original human characters in the next film. Just droids and a Wookie - all be it that the original R2D2 actor has passed away and Chewbacca’s original actor has as good as retired and been replaced.

I’m a massive Star Wars fan but I don’t feel any impatience to see where the next movie goes - all be it that I’m sure I’ll be there to watch it as soon as it comes out.

I can’t help wondering if the whole thing should have been left alone. For me, the characters that I most wanted to see were the ones from the 70s and 80s. The new ones are ok but as the originals are all killed off I find that I have much less association with the franchise.

I also feel more cynical about some of the characters and wonder just how many are only in it to sell toys - something that never occurred to me before.

In professional wrestling, there's a generally accepted retirement strategy of going out on your back. Instead of getting a glorious victory and celebratory send off, some of the best of all time will lose their last match, just to make someone younger who might benefit from the association look better. That's basically what they've done with Star Wars; Kylo Ren is so much more of a well-developed character in the second film having killed his dad, and both Ren and Rey benefit from the role Luke played in the story this time round, and the older characters being cleared away means that the new film can go in any direction. I don't know what that direction will be, or even if it will be any good, but the characters will have got there through important actions and deaths around them. The thing is, these films aren't about the old characters; if anything I'm really grateful that the included them, seeing as for a while when the new films were being mooted they weren't necessarily going to be there at all. The films are about the three new heroes and the big bad guy, with familiar characters included to anchor old fans to the story. I'm glad they didn't leave it alone and that they're creating new stories; even before Carrie Fisher's death it was obvious these actors couldn't be in many more films so they've used the opportunity to transition into the future. Star Wars is fun
  • I fear this is what happens when fans are allowed to write scripts - a similar thing happens when kids that are fans grow up and are allowed to shape their fantasy from childhood in other movies and TV shows. Dr Who has had some issues with this with some bizarre new facts coming out about various things.

Sometimes with Sci-Fi it is better not to try to explain every last little thing.

I also think that there is a feeling of needing to shock in Star Wars and to prove that no-one is beyond being killed off.

With Carrie Fisher’s sad passing away it leaves none of the original human characters in the next film. Just droids and a Wookie - all be it that the original R2D2 actor has passed away and Chewbacca’s original actor has as good as retired and been replaced.

I’m a massive Star Wars fan but I don’t feel any impatience to see where the next movie goes - all be it that I’m sure I’ll be there to watch it as soon as it comes out.

I can’t help wondering if the whole thing should have been left alone. For me, the characters that I most wanted to see were the ones from the 70s and 80s. The new ones are ok but as the originals are all killed off I find that I have much less association with the franchise.

I also feel more cynical about some of the characters and wonder just how many are only in it to sell toys - something that never occurred to me before.

In professional wrestling, there's a generally accepted retirement strategy of going out on your back. Instead of getting a glorious victory and celebratory send off, some of the best of all time will lose their last match, just to make someone younger who might benefit from the association look better. That's basically what they've done with Star Wars; Kylo Ren is so much more of a well-developed character in the second film having killed his dad, and both Ren and Rey benefit from the role Luke played in the story this time round, and the older characters being cleared away means that the new film can go in any direction. I don't know what that direction will be, or even if it will be any good, but the characters will have got there through important actions and deaths around them. The thing is, these films aren't about the old characters; if anything I'm really grateful that the included them, seeing as for a while when the new films were being mooted they weren't necessarily going to be there at all. The films are about the three new heroes and the big bad guy, with familiar characters included to anchor old fans to the story. I'm glad they didn't leave it alone and that they're creating new stories; even before Carrie Fisher's death it was obvious these actors couldn't be in many more films so they've used the opportunity to transition into the future. Star Wars is fun
    I’d imagine Luke will be in the next film in some capacity.
  • Not sure Skywalker has really' gone'. I'd be easy to bring him back from that ending.

One criticism. When the republic's bomber ship dropped it's payload on the enemy dreadnought ship, how come the bombs fell onto the ship. There would have been no gravity surely?

Overall I thought the movie was a lot of fun.

The little birdie creature were too cutesy for my taste though - Disney's influence I expect. They'll have their own spin off movie next.
  • edited December 2017

Carter said:

MrOneLung said:

Saw it this afternoon

I'm happy to regress to being 8/9/10 whatever years old to enjoy these films
    Fortunately, that’s quite easy for me.

My 9 year old was transfixed by it. I could tell as apart from a couple of questions, I didn’t get a peep out of her and she sat still throughout the 2.5 hours. She only asked for the pick and mix 3 or 4 times as well.

My mum reminded me yesterday that it was 40 years ago that she took me as a nine year old to see the first one. Don’t think I moved or made a sound throughout it either.

That takes me back. I think my attachment to these films had a lot to do with the memory of my dad dragging me away from the Big Match one Sunday afternoon in 1977, when I was 6, to take me to Star Wars. It was the best day of my life at that point. I was utterly transfixed.
  • Just got back from watching it. My overall impression was that it was if Disney had taken over the franc....... Oh wait!

Most PC Star Wars film yet, jokes funny but too many of them, and at the end I was expecting the galactic Dickensian street urchin to best into "who will buy this wonderful feeling" or some such.

Having said all that, it was great Star Wars Bunkum as usual and as Mr One Lung points out earlier in the thread, the film isnt aimed at 55 year olds like meself.
  • I wouldn't say the film is specifically targeting children. If anything they are targeting new fans.
  • Thought it was very good, though not as good as Empire Strikes back as some critics have said!

Bit gutted they killed Snoke off as I was hoping to find out a little more about his backstory. Thought the way Luke went was very good and Yoda returning is just quality!

I am curious to see where it goes now as I expect most people took the view that Snoke would be the big bad until the end.

8.5/10 for me!
  • JamesSeed said:

Not sure Skywalker has really' gone'. I'd be easy to bring him back from that ending.

One criticism. When the republic's bomber ship dropped it's payload on the enemy dreadnought ship, how come the bombs fell onto the ship. There would have been no gravity surely?

The little birdie creature were too cutesy for my taste though - Disney's influence I expect. They'll have their own spin off movie next.

I imagine that there would have been gravity in the bomber to make them fall then inertia would have made them continue 'falling'.

That doesn't answer the question as to how a bomb can explode in space where there is no oxygen for it to burn, however, but it is a made-up story after all. ;-)
  • JamesSeed said:

Not sure Skywalker has really' gone'. I'd be easy to bring him back from that ending.

I imagine that there would have been gravity in the bomber to make them fall then inertia would have made them continue 'falling'.

That doesn't answer the question as to how a bomb can explode in space where there is no oxygen for it to burn, however, but it is a made-up story after all. ;-)
    Well science doesn't actually proclaim that there must be oxygen for an explosion, for instance nuclear devices can explode in space as can some chemical compound bombs.
  • edited December 2017

I fear this is what happens when fans are allowed to write scripts - a similar thing happens when kids that are fans grow up and are allowed to shape their fantasy from childhood in other movies and TV shows. Dr Who has had some issues with this with some bizarre new facts coming out about various things.

That is undoubtedly true but as a Star Wars Nerd, and having many friends that are the same, I can confirm that we would watch movies about the old characters all day long and most of us have read, literally, dozens of books that have been released since The Return of the Jedi. Even after two films none of us feel invested into the new characters.

Maybe Disney aren't bothered about us, we aren't going to buy the toys - although my son has loads of them but at 13 he's outgrown that now - but we do have houses full of Star Wars crap, and we have all the DVDs (as well as VHS videos and widescreen versions and special editions) even this weekend a friend of mine came over for Christmas dinner and we swapped presents and there was Star Wars stuff going both ways.

What I'm trying to say is that the 40s and 50s fans have the most disposable income and we will buy any crap that has a Star Wars logo on it so why not pander to us a little?

A couple of years ago the Secret Cinema company did Empire and it made a fortune but on the evening that we went I didn't see one child there. However, there were hundreds of middle aged men and women all dressed up in, probably, officially licenced Star Wars outfits with blasters and lightsabers.

I understand what Disney have done but I can't see them (due to it being a very different world now) producing another generation of fans that are as obsessed with this franchise as those that grew up in the 70s. For many it wasn't the favorite toy, it was the only toy. Those six inch figures cannot compete with a Playstation so once Disney have scared off off the middle aged fans they will only be able to dream of $2bn in box office receipts.