Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Froome fails a drug test

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yeah - this is one of the clinical studies I was referring to earlier. Obviously, the validity of a study with such a small subject body is questionable at the very least - but it certainly provides 'proof' that, if there is a performance enhancement from using Salbutamol, it's far from universal
  • Options
    If anyone genuinely thinks Froome has asthma, you need your head tested.
  • Options

Why would they say he has had it since childhood?
  • Options

Most people find road cycling to be as dull as dishwater. Me included.

Track cycling is much more explosive and grabs peoples attention.

That's not to take anything away from what Froome has achieved. He's just involved in a sport that is way down in the publics interest in Britain.

Road cycling is way more popular than track cycling. The Tour is one of the most widely watch sporting events globally. There's a huge industry built up around road cycling, with the equipment and clothing being multi billion dollar industries globally. There are many magazines dedicated to road cycling and road racing. I don't think there are any devoted to track cycling.
    Two to three billion people watch the Tour, globally. Track cycling gets nothing like that audience.
    I love track cycling and road cycling. But to say track cycling is more watched or more popular than road cycling is just plain wrong. And double wrong.
    Triple wrong.
    And yes, watching a six hour stage of the Tour can be dull, but rather like watching test cricket, the great days make up for it.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

If he was Russian then he'd be a dirty drug taking scumbag but as he's British its just a mistake and unintentional.

In this case that's probably correct. Who won the road race gold in the London Olympics? A self confessed and unreformed Russian (probably state sponsored) doper that nobody likes.

Salbutamol isn't on the banned list because it isn't performance enhancing. Unless you've got bad asthma, in which case it merely gets you back to normal.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

He's had well documented asthma since childhood.
  • Options

Decent writeup of the issue here, for anyone with a passing interest beyond 'They're all dopers' or 'Froome would never cheat'

http://inrng.com/2017/12/chris-froomes-salbutamol-case/

A good read... Sadly the worst bit is the fact there could be many cases like this that lead to nothing yet because they're not high cases we wont know about them

Because of that the whole incident could be a harmless investigation conducted by the UCI who find nothing wrong and let Froome go as per other situations - As the public and media arent made aware (they rightly shouldnt because these are innocent people and is no different to how an accused rapist gets named before trial rather only if guilty) they'll instantly think that something suspect is going on and that Froome has only been cleared because of his name.

What I find a joke is you go on Social Media and people are demanding that he be honest about the whole situation yet are failing to realise that he could be being honest right at this moment in time
  • Options

Decent writeup of the issue here, for anyone with a passing interest beyond 'They're all dopers' or 'Froome would never cheat'

As someone who knows little to nothing about the issue this was an enlightening read - thank you @Leroy Ambrose .

What I don't understand is the asthma issue. I thought that when asthma flared up the last thing you would do is anything physical until the episode had passed. I realise it's a chronic condition and that people with it can be fit and active - but athletes at that high level?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wonder who leaked this to the press?
  • Options
    edited December 2017

In my opinion, the potential damage from this is far greater than Froome himself - Team Sky are in the crosshairs (which does happen when anyone adopts a holier than thou attitude in a competitive environment - you just have to actually be holier than thou to get away with it).

I must be unusual in that I really like Froome, but I really don't want him to be as good as he is and dominate the sport - I want cycling to have genuine competition in the grand tours, and he is too far out ahead of most of the rest. I would continue to give him the benefit of the doubt, unless he is proved to have done wrong.

Mind you, I agree with @McBobbin, any substance that allows you continue when otherwise you would not be able to, including inhalers, is, almost by definition, performance enhancing, in that it allows athletes to continue to perform.

PS. I cannot stand Lewis Hamilton, for all that he is a good driver, but I don't think he is that good (all F1 drivers are talented, and I accept he is, but he has never had to drive a genuinely bad car, and quite often he is in the best, but that's just my natural Irish begrudgery).

Oh, come on ...really ??!!

Don't you realize that to get to drive one of the 'elite' cars you need to an exceptional driver - its a given.
    Hamilton is THE best driver out there - he's proved it, time and time again.
    Cant believe that anyone would say 'I don't think he is that good' - i'm still chuckling now. !!
    I don't think he is that good, in the sense that I do not believe that he is as good as some in the media portray.

He is certainly the most successful current driver, but a huge degree of any F1 success has to be down to the car (and all that goes in to it), including aerodynamics, engine, reliability, etc.

I'd love to see what would happen if there was a level playing field.

Not that it matters, as I don't imagine my opinion is giving him sleepless nights.
    It always surprises me how the best drivers seem to find themselves in the best cars!
  • Options
    Just like KP is referred to as "South African born Kevin Pieterson" whenever something dodgy comes up, I guess Froome will forever be known as "Kenyan born and raised Chris Froome"
  • Options
    Same as Andy Murray is the British hope until he's knocked out then he becomes Scottish.
  • Options
    Cycling is a weird one in terms of liking or disliking as a sport I think.

I’ve never been into cycling as an activity (as an adult) and find pretty much all types of cycling as boring as hell (up there with horse racing for me) - although I appreciate the skill and athleticism.

I have a few of mates who totally eulogise about it as a sport - but are themselves keen cyclists.

Do you think that you need to be a cyclist in order to really enjoy it as a sport?

• Options
    iaitch said:

Same as Andy Murray is the British hope until he's knocked out then he becomes Scottish.

And despite getting a run out for England before playing for the ivory coast, Wilfred Zaha will always be a diving palace cunt
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Except he isn't and that's just something made up by Scots with chips on their shoulders which has been repeated so many times that people think it's true.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Just like KP is referred to as "South African born Kevin Pieterson" whenever something dodgy comes up, I guess Froome will forever be known as "Kenyan born and raised Chris Froome"

There's also a flip side to these "not really British" claims. Froome's ancestors are British, both his parent's are British, they moved to kenya just before he was born and he's always held duel nationality. But of course because he's successful and chosen to represent Britain you get lots of people saying he's not really British. Yet the great current cyclist Dan Martin, English Dad, Irish Mum, born in England and grew up in England and never lived properly in Ireland. Has chosen to represent Ireland yet when he had an excellent TDF including winning a stage no-one ever goes "oh well he's not really Irish". There's a huge anti English/British thing when it comes to complaining about peoples origins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cycling is a weird one in terms of liking or disliking as a sport I think.

I’ve never been into cycling as an activity (as an adult) and find pretty much all types of cycling as boring as hell (up there with horse racing for me) - although I appreciate the skill and athleticism.

I have a few of mates who totally eulogise about it as a sport - but are themselves keen cyclists.

Do you think that you need to be a cyclist in order to really enjoy it as a sport?

I think actually being a cyclist helps, yes - in a way that playing football doesn't make you more of a football fan. I've always liked cycling - loved the highlights of the classics (the tiny amount we used to get, anyway) and always tried to follow it as best I could on telly, bought the Geekly etc. But I certainly started enjoying it 'more' when I started riding more
  • Options
    I think participating in a sport definitely increases your appreciation of it. I cycle and ski, although not to a high standard. But it does give you a better appreciation of how hard it really is.
  • Options
    I don’t cycle but love watching it.
  • Options
    This is interesting from Tony Martin seeing he's back tracking on his comments last week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/42395393
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/43280081

Wiggins called out as a cheat by that pillar of the community Piers Morgan live on GMB and challenged him to sue him.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/43280081

Wiggins called out as a cheat by that pillar of the community Piers Morgan live on GMB and challenged him to sue him.

I do feel that Team Sky and Bradley Wiggins seem to have little or no credibility - all the explanations they've given re drug use just seem empty.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Just read the BBC Sport article and it doesn’t look good. Seems that Team Sky find themselves in a position that is completely indefensible to the allegations.
  • Options
    It's a disaster for cycling really. After all the years of drug issues, Team Sky were set up promising the moral high ground, and sadly it seem to be same old, same old...
  • Options
    Ive read and seen enough about him over the years and must say if there is/was any sort of a technically legal edge to be gained,Ethical or non ethical,then Dave Brailsford would most definitely take advantage all day long.
  • Options
    Marginal gains