Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pompey Attendance Good or Bad ?

Total 16,361 with 3,870 from Portsmouth home 12,491 home.

Seen various comments on other threads about the attendance , ignoring the Pompey travelling support, which as usual we provided with a great day out. What can be said for 12,500 home.

If you were looking to buy the club would you see that level of support as encouraging or would it put you off, with the view a 25th Anniversary game and that's all that came.

The club in my view cocked it up. As I largely support the boycott I am not a regular any more. When have come I sit in upper west. The seat this season is £17, Saturday to watch us turn in an inept performance and make Pompeys day out I paid £22. Was the club right to add a premium to this fixture ? Should it have been discounted £10, £12 or £15 for my seat. I certainly think the premium price reduced the attendance.

It's a fact that some clubs in our leauge would not get 12,500 if they made a game free. So was 12,500 at the inflated price good or bad.

If I was looking to buy / sell the club I would have thought showing the potential support would be a better option than financial gain from the game. Priced at £10 and £5 we could have pushed past the 20,000 and shown any interested parties that the fan base exists, it just needs a proper owner to manage it and exploit the opportunity.

Comments

• Options
    I cannot remember what thread it was on but Airman said it was more like 15k in the ground so with Pompey bringing nearly 4k it was more like 11k home fans.

As you know Airman is a very good source on all things attendance so I am happy with these numbers.
  • Options

£10/15 a ticket.
    Fill the home stands.
    No extra for away.
    Make it a day for us.

this, giving them extra leaded to agg after and made most more miserable than there already were.
  • Options

There was a huge comp distribution on Saturday as well. There were a couple of hundred academy there and I'm sure most would have got an additional 2 for parents etc

The home attendance was poor a heavily flagged high profile fixture. Some weren't there because they are boycotting but imo that number is small and in hundreds, not thousands.

We held on to a large amount of people post prem years but a large chunk of them off the back of what's happened the last few years are now gone I fear

this even in my circle of friends, there would be 3/4 that arent really football fans but if pushed would be Charlton, and they wont even come anymore.
  • Options
    On the basis that the home crowd was probably not price sensitive and, clearly, the away attendance wasn't it makes sense to ramp the prices us.

It's clear that there is so little respect for the SMT that they were always going to be criticised for how they handled so this day they might as well make some money doing it.

I'm sure that was the logic and as we will never know what the gate would have been if they'd charged half the price we will never know if they were successful in making more money or not.
  • Options
    A very disappointing attendance. Ticket prices , apathy and boycott's all contributed. I was expecting at least 18K - Depressing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Attendance was pretty poor. But that’s the situation we are in - thanks to those Belgian w@nkers.

• Options
    I would be happy to provide a reference to Daisy as and when she flukes her way into another top job when RD sells. Well done the Belgian two, fantastic effort (THAT IS ENGLISH WIT BTW...)
  • Options
    With Portsmouth getting more tickets in the East, the gate was about right. There won't be a bigger home attendance this season, even with a fiver a ticket game as well.

Back to 10,000 for the "Who has the worst owner match up" on the 23rd
  • Options
    edited December 2017

On the basis that the home crowd was probably not price sensitive and, clearly, the away attendance wasn't it makes sense to ramp the prices us.

It's clear that there is so little respect for the SMT that they were always going to be criticised for how they handled so this day they might as well make some money doing it.

I'm sure that was the logic and as we will never know what the gate would have been if they'd charged half the price we will never know if they were successful in making more money or not.

They said they would give 25% of the net home ticket price to CACT, so they had the worst of both worlds, lost some price sensitive individuals and didn't get the benefit of the extra money. There's a small surplus from charging the circa 3,000 Pompey in the JS Stand an extra £3/4 but after concessions and VAT it's probably only worth about £5-6k and there are extra stewarding and police costs to cater for a larger away crowd (which they'd have to pay regardless).

I spoke to one regular who decided not to go because they had put the prices up, although that person eventually got a free ticket so did go.

As usual, at least one person on the SMT was predicting a 20k crowd, which was always impossible at full price based on any detailed understanding of the numbers. It's really not difficult to understand how these things work if you have the historic figures.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Poor attendance, and it really highlights where we are as a club now. I imagine their will be a small increase when he sells, but I cant see it being higher than 1k.

My short term hope is that the Belgium guy sells, we stay competitive in the top 6, and the Blackburn match in May is still important for both clubs. Hopefully, this can be our first real chance to see how many supports will attend on a big match day.
  • Options

There was a huge comp distribution on Saturday as well. There were a couple of hundred academy there and I'm sure most would have got an additional 2 for parents etc

The home attendance was poor a heavily flagged high profile fixture. Some weren't there because they are boycotting but imo that number is small and in hundreds, not thousands.

We held on to a large amount of people post prem years but a large chunk of them off the back of what's happened the last few years are now gone I fear

I bumped into three people who were there on comps and wouldn't have been otherwise. but for the comps it would have been even more embarrassing.

• Options
    edited December 2017

Poor attendance, and it really highlights where we are as a club now. I imagine their will be a small increase when he sells, but I cant see it being higher than 1k.

My short term hope is that the Belgium guy sales, we stay competitive in the top 6, and the Blackburn match in May is still important for both clubs. Hopefully, this can be our first real chance to see how many supports will attend on a big match day.

I wouldn't be too pessimistic for the medium term, personally. People rely too much on "I know Fred and Bob will never go again," when in reality Fred will change his mind and will also bring his mate Joe.
  • Options
    To answer the original questions, it was a reasonable attendance by recent standards. I'm not sure that a match celebrating 25 years back at the Valley would ever attract a massive crowd by itself

Hard core boycotters were staying away anyway
    Many casual fans would just see it as another 3rd division match, on a cold day in December, Pompey aren't that attractive opposition anyway
    The team is playing ok, but not brilliantly at the moment

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I'd be keen to find out if allowing Portsmouth an extra 700 or so tickets washes it face financially. Max £13400 ish after VAT. Is that gonna cover the stewarding, segregation, policing etc etc? Why stop at 700? Why not 1500 +? There were whole empty blocks to be had.

Those clappy things. Good to see the club coughed up for many thousands more than could possibly have been needed. They looked proper silly sticking in all those unused seats across the west stand.

Certainly plenty of junior football club kids sat around us in the east on Saturday, all obviously on comps.
    Barely a queue at the north stand ticket collection as we walked in. Safe to assume many more tickets sold to Portsmouth supporters than to Charlton, which ain't pleasant reading for the chances of a significant upturn in attendances when our arrogant eurotwat bungler finally crystallizes his huge loss on his Charlton experiment. There'll be lots of work to do to retrieve many of the stayed aways.
  • Options
    North Upper the busiest its been this season but not sure the rest of the ground looked much busier, other than the freebie areas.

Still, I reckon it will be double the gate of the next home game.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    only bradford and pompey get a higher average attendance of over 11,000 that another thing that depresses me with this league 1/4 full grounds.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/publish?attendances?comp=3

• Options
    Where's T20K when you need them?
  • Options
    edited December 2017

My short term hope is that the Belgium guy sales, we stay competitive in the top 6, and the Blackburn match in May is still important for both clubs. Hopefully, this can be our first real chance to see how many supports will attend on a big match day.

I wouldn't be too pessimistic for the medium term, personally. People rely too much on "I know Fred and Bob will never go again," when in reality Fred will change his mind and will also bring his mate Joe.
    Airman, that's very Bobist you know :wink:
  • Options

only bradford and pompey get a higher average attendance of over 11,000 that another thing that depresses me with this league 1/4 full grounds.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/publish?attendances?comp=3

We are 15th in terms of occupation, with 40% of our capacity occupied. Pompey's crowds are pretty impressive, averaging over 17000, with 85% occupancy. I'm not aware that they've sold cheap season tickets either (which is what Bradford have done).

https://www.transfermarkt.com/league-one/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/GB3/saison_id/2017/plus/1
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Agreed. I WILL go again - just not in sterile hospitality in the West Stand where I felt embarrassed every time I swore (didn't stop me though!).
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

RedChaser said:

Agreed. I WILL go again - just not in sterile hospitality in the West Stand where I felt embarrassed every time I swore (didn't stop me though!).
    you're welcome to swear on my row bob. we're not all bovril swigging comfort blanket types :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

RedChaser said:

you're welcome to swear on my row bob. we're not all bovril swigging comfort blanket types :wink:
    Really, not even the 31 year man? I always have this picture in my mind of a senior citizen. Anyway what's wrong with bovril and a blanket? :wink: