Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Unfair to say they 'bottled it'

edited December 2017 in General Charlton
I think some fans are setting their standards a bit too high. Even thought I felt we lacked that quality in the last third yesterday even though it was the 25th anniversary game, I certainly don't believe we 'bottled it' yesterday. They did try and made a good effort to get something out of the game. But to be fair Portsmouth were very hard to crack down and the rare time we did there was no way past there their keeper. It was also down to the lack of Roland not letting Karl have that pacey fox in the box striker to terrorise defences. To use the word 'gutless' for yesterday is very strong.

Ok, MK Dons back in April following the sad and brutal passing of PC Keith Palmer; we did completly freeze with fear that night but certainly not yesterday.

but yesterday, I think overall they gave it their best shot yesterday but they just couldn't find good enough form or a performance. But it wasn't for the lack of trying.

Comments

• If you try hard enough against Portsmouth then you win. We wasn't up against Barcelona.
  • I don't call it bottling it. I call it stupid to keep lobbing high hopeful punts into the box when their defense is coping so easily with that tactic. I'd like to know whether that was the instructions from KR, and if he was happy with it. If he was then that doesn't bode well.
  • Maybe would have been different had the header from the first half gone in rather than hit the post but there werent enough chances created; I seem to remember two maybe three attempts that forced their 'keeper into a save with only one in the second half.

Id be more forgiving if there were more goalscoring chances made but we were toothless in attack with the simple things not being done properly (like passing to a red shirt), crossing is still a massive issue too as far too many went long with Chris Solly the only player I'm confident of finding his target in the box.

Bar a five minute period in the second half (which was straight after the penalty save) it was a case of everyone going through the motions till full-time
  • Maybe they were too excited about their trip to Newcastle after the game.
  • We are either a bit crap or badly organised..
  • Finally, the voice of reason. People are acting like we got slaughtered 5-0.
  • They didn't bottle it. They're just not very good. Kenny Jackett is no mug. He knows exactly how we play in all its tedious predictability and how to counter it. I've warmed to Robinson in recent weeks but I still see a manager that can't change a game.
  • I think some fans are setting their standards a bit too high. Even thought I felt we lacked that quality in the last third yesterday even though it was the 25th anniversary game, I certainly don't believe we 'bottled it' yesterday. They did try and made a good effort to get something out of the game. But to be fair Portsmouth were very hard to crack down and the rare time we did there was no way past there their keeper. It was also down to the lack of Roland not letting Karl have that pacey fox in the box striker to terrorise defences. To use the word 'gutless' for yesterday is very strong.

Ok, MK Dons back in April following the sad and brutal passing of PC Keith Palmer; we did completly freeze with fear that night but certainly not yesterday.

but yesterday, I think overall they gave it their best shot yesterday but they just couldn't find good enough form or a performance. But it wasn't for the lack of trying.

Wait, when was this game?
  • Sponsored links:

• I think some fans are setting their standards a bit too high. Even thought I felt we lacked that quality in the last third yesterday even though it was the 25th anniversary game, I certainly don't believe we 'bottled it' yesterday. They did try and made a good effort to get something out of the game. But to be fair Portsmouth were very hard to crack down and the rare time we did there was no way past there their keeper. It was also down to the lack of Roland not letting Karl have that pacey fox in the box striker to terrorise defences. To use the word 'gutless' for yesterday is very strong.

Wait, when was this game?
    Well tomorrow it won't be yesterday. It will be the day before yesterday or on Saturday.
  • Lose 5-0 or 1-0 it’s nil points

Brilliant analysis.
  • Missed It said:

They didn't bottle it. They're just not very good. Kenny Jackett is no mug. He knows exactly how we play in all its tedious predictability and how to counter it. I've warmed to Robinson in recent weeks but I still see a manager that can't change a game.

We must be the easiest team in the league to scout.

Brilliant analysis.
    It’s true though all I ever hear is how great this team is maybe it’s just a coincidence:

Plymouth away
    Gills away
    Wigan home
    Peterborough home
    Pompey home

And we’ve gained a point out of those and haven’t looked great.

Being a fan you want the best for your club and we’re currently not playing to the best of ability nor are we being being supported by the owner, Karl nice fella but the constant string of excuses does become tiresome every club gets injuries!.
  • Didn't bottle anything but we had two centre backs who can't play together. Both good players but both need a commanding voice beside them and We have a number of players running on empty whilst for me the subs were left to late. Changrs are neeses next week. Give Josh a rest start with Best and and bring in a confident Ahearn Grant whilst pearce has to return. For me top six is as good as it gets thia season but with the right changes i can see a result next week Blackburn are no Wigan imo.
  • It is the same for every game the club make high profile, and that goes way back. The team let the fans down.
  • Another thing Carl Leaburn admited that the players of 92 felt the pressure. The players of 17 would have felt the same way. Maybe some fans should try being players with that pressure of wages and fan scrutiny and see if they do better. Just saying.
  • I can't help thinking you are all underestimating the balloon factor.
  • They bottled it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think every player tried his best,this result was not down to lack of effort.We are missing,fosu,Kashi and Bfg,arguably our 3 best players,Ricky and Josh look Knackered and need a rest .Kag should have started ,and Jacko could have come on for 20 minutes,he would have been well up for it,and could well have nicked a goal from one of our many set pieces.
  • Another thing Carl Leaburn admited that the players of 92 felt the pressure. The players of 17 would have felt the same way. Maybe some fans should try being players with that pressure of wages and fan scrutiny and see if they do better. Just saying.

well if they can't hack it they could do something else.

The pressure of wages and fan scrutiny.

They are professional footballers. They get paid to perform in front of a critical audience. If they can’t deal with it, maybe the should stick to Sunday pub football.

Suffice to say, not being able to perform when under pressure is pretty much my definition of bottling it.

Pressure. This is league one football ,hardly champions league at Barcelona.
  • At the end of the day I felt they tried to do all the right things but it just didn't happen for them on the day.

Pity Mk back in April and Pompey on Saturday at the only home games I've been to this calendar year!
  • drewman said:

I think some fans are setting their standards a bit too high. Even thought I felt we lacked that quality in the last third yesterday even though it was the 25th anniversary game, I certainly don't believe we 'bottled it' yesterday. They did try and made a good effort to get something out of the game. But to be fair Portsmouth were very hard to crack down and the rare time we did there was no way past there their keeper. It was also down to the lack of Roland not letting Karl have that pacey fox in the box striker to terrorise defences. To use the word 'gutless' for yesterday is very strong.

Pity Mk back in April and Pompey on Saturday at the only home games I've been to this calendar year!
    Well it's obviously your bloody fault then!
  • edited December 2017
    Maybe fans have this bitter and twisted attitude because of what surrounded the game. Reactions would not have been so bitter and twisted had we not had the anniversary celebrations.

If we had won hardly anyone would have batted an eyelid over the Christmas piss up on the train or in Geordie land. Or put it this way, would not have got so het up, bitter and twisted over it.

I still stand by my previous thoughts on this game though.