Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Remake of 'It's a Wonderful Life' to be set in SE7/Belgium. Casting suggestions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJfZaT8ncYk

Suggestions please for cast. Must either be Charlton Lifers or closely association with CAFC.

Please note the part of Mr Potter has already been cast..

To start the ball rolling, here are my suggestions:

George Bailey: Cantersaddick

Ma Bailey: Fanny Fanackapan (although obviously she is far too young)

Mary Bailey -The lady with the Liar Banner

Sam 'Hee-Haw" Wainwright: Karl Robinson

and of course playing Clarence Odbody - George's Guardian Angel: the one and only Chris Powell

Over to you for alternative suggestions and the parts of:

Uncle Billy - the dozy relative.

Mr Gower - the Pharmacist

Harry Bailey: George's dashing younger brother

Violet: the town flirt who flutters here eyes and simpers. Can't think of anyone associated with Charlton who could play that part,...

Over to you

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Honoured to be included. Think I'm too young to get it. Have no idea what the reference is and what this says about people's perception of my personality...
  • Options
    Barry Norman eat your heart out.
  • Options
    milo said:

Honoured to be included. Think I'm too young to get it. Have no idea what the reference is and what this says about people's perception of my personality...

I’ll explain it to you so you never have to watch it:

It’s a Wonderful Life is a deeply depressing film that you sit through for two hours whilst George Bailey compromises his life, being shat on from all directions rather than follow his dream - just when you think you are about to slit your wrists because you have an epiphany and realise you are George Bailey you get three minutes at the end where some good stuff happens to him. The combination of the happy ending and the fact you are drunk because you only ever watch it at Christmas is just enough to stop you killing yourself.

It is the moving picture equivalent of wearing a pair of shoes two sizes too small for you just for the pleasure of taking them off at the end of the day.

This has proper tickled me :smiley:
  • Options
    And why not?
  • Options
    I gave up on this tedious film 30min from the end so I don't feel qualified to comment.
  • Options
    I love this film for the sentimental, schmaltzy old hogwash it is.

@cantersaddick - being cast as George Bailey is a compliment. Nice guy who always puts others first, and ends up getting hugely rewarded.

My casting suggestions - in the role of Bert the cop, Mick Everett.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

@cantersaddick - being cast as George Bailey is a compliment. Nice guy who always puts others first, and ends up getting hugely rewarded.

Now if we could have the whole film made on a southeastern train we would see a different side to George Bailey with canters in the leed role
  • Options
    Richard Murray as Mr Gower?
  • Options
    I've never watched the film but sounds great. Roll on Christmas
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I thought this was going to be Roly cast as George Bailey and when he sees what life would be like if he wasn't around, Charlton are lifting the Premier League trophy after beating Arsenal 6 nil away and Daisy is the tea lady for a Walloon legal firm.
  • Options
    milo said:

It’s a Wonderful Life is a deeply depressing film that you sit through for two hours whilst George Bailey compromises his life, being shat on from all directions rather than follow his dream - just when you think you are about to slit your wrists because you have an epiphany and realise you are George Bailey you get three minutes at the end where some good stuff happens to him. The combination of the happy ending and the fact you are drunk because you only ever watch it at Christmas is just enough to stop you killing yourself.

It is the moving picture equivalent of wearing a pair of shoes two sizes too small for you just for the pleasure of taking them off at the end of the day.

Davo55 said:

I'll take that!! :)
  • Options
    milo said:

Fun fact: no-one actually ever liked this film. It's just got played every Christmas for years because so few people cared about it the copyright lapsed, and it was cheap for TV channels to chuck on. Its constant presence on telly every year convinced people it was a classic
  • Options
    'Wonderful' is the operative word here. Despite being over 70 years old, this film stands up extraordinarily well. I recommended it to a colleague last year and his wife, both of whom never go near black and white films, warning them that they might be put off by the slow-paced first hour. They nearly did quit but were glad that they didn't.

For a Christmas film and for a film from the Golden Age of Hollywood, it is surprisingly dark, especially as the wholesome, thoroughly likeable James Stewart is playing against type for part of the film, and I imagine producers and agents may have got a bit twitchy about that, but that misery makes the pay-off at the end so uplifting.

As for my other favourite 'Christmas' film (due to its tv scheduling), I'd have Roland as the great and powerful Oz (just a man hiding behind a curtain), and Katrien as...no, for the life of me, I'm at a loss here.
  • Options
    Brilliant film. The scenes around the hour mark when there is a run on the bank is classic & should be shown to everyone who has money on deposit & think that's is safer than investing it.

Of course, Henry Irving should play the dashing younger brother.
  • Options

Mate,it's about trains that run and turn up on time..... distance yourself from it...honest.
  • Options
    Over on another thread I said I was going to sleep, but then I saw this title and I just had to get involved.
    This is in my all time top ten movies.
    Davo, Captain Bob and Golf Addick all hit the nail on the head.
    The first half hour is a tad slow but is the basis for the collapse that follows. There are a number of moments of cinematic brilliance, outstanding performances and simply beautiful cameos.
    Also we should put it in the context of the year it was made, in this case 1946.
    Without wanting to share my life story at this moment, there is an issue in the film that resonates with me, and as a consequence I always cry uncontrollably at the end.
    Don't worry, I'm ok now.
    Sweet dreams everybody.