Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Home pubs

Afternoon all,

My dad is a Charlton fan in exile up North but hasn't had the chance to get to a home game for a few years , so I'm bringing him down for the Gillingham game - is there anywhere nearby where the home fans congregate to have a drink before the game?

Last time I was down was in the away end when Scunny visited after we got promotion a few years ago, and I can't remember what the area was like for pubs!

Cheers

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Royal Oak to the East and closest to the ground
    Rose of Denmark to the West
    Liberal club by the station
    White Swan and Bugle up in the Village
    The Anchor on the river to the North

that's pretty much your choice list
  • Pilot if you are travelling in from North Greenwich tube (and don’t mind seeing some away fans)

Hope and anchor on the river if you don’t mind a short walk through an industrial estate past the burnt out cars to get to the ground.

(Shame on you AFKA)
  • Anchor and Hope.
  • White Swan is the only place that sells decent beer.
  • There's also a new Fans bar behind the back of the North Stand. Great bar for a view of the pitch and mix with fans etc. But service is normally piss poor and the same can be said about the drinks on tap.
  • There's also a new Fans bar behind the back of the North Stand. Great bar for a view of the pitch and mix with fans etc. But service is normally piss poor and the same can be said about the drinks on tap.

Great view, Shit beer
  • Thanks all!
  • Blimey you lot are like Corporal Jones ! Don.t you realise this is the Intelligence Officer of the Pompey 6:59 firm.

I thought exactly that, the poster joined this morning and his first post is asking where the home pubs are. Lol
  • edited December 2017

Blimey you lot are like Corporal Jones ! Don.t you realise this is the Intelligence Officer of the Pompey 6:59 firm.

He'll need a password to get in though so don't tell him it's 'Sailor', Pike :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Get there early and take him on a pub crawl!
  • Blimey you lot are like Corporal Jones ! Don.t you realise this is the Intelligence Officer of the Pompey 6:59 firm.

We will have the last laugh as they realise they missed the 6:57 train
  • The Watermans on Woolwich Road is decent.
  • MrOneLung said:

Blimey you lot are like Corporal Jones ! Don.t you realise this is the Intelligence Officer of the Pompey 6:59 firm.

We will have the last laugh as they realise they missed the 6:57 train
    Running late leaves on line .
  • Try the Horse and Groom
  • edited December 2017
    If you're making the pilgrimage for the first time in a long stretch I'd go to the White Swan first and then head to the fans bar inside the North Stand so you can have a (admittedly terrible) drink whilst looking out onto the Valley pitch and across the stadium - it still looks beautiful.
  • Tavern said:

Try the Horse and Groom

Nice drop of wine in there
  • shirty5 said:

Tavern said:

Try the Horse and Groom

Nice drop of wine in there
    Also does great food and and you get loads of chips.

• edited December 2017
    You can't beat the Vic for atmosphere.

and décor.
  • I have always like the Elephant and Castle in Woolwich market.

Traditional boozer, reasonably priced and football on the tele.

Not the place that you would take your missus though!
  • Sponsored links:

• And it opens in time for breakfast

Rammed at 8am when I walk past on my way to work.

I must remember that if I attend The Valley ever again.
  • The White Horse on the Woolwich Road is quite an interesting pub if you like nostalgia , they still have ashtrays on the bar and the regulars smoke with impunity regardless of who is in the pub!
  • Curb_It said:

And it opens in time for breakfast

Rammed at 8am when I walk past on my way to work.

That's what happens when you become a royal borough
  • edited December 2017
    Curb_It said:

And it opens in time for breakfast

Rammed at 8am when I walk past try and get a pint of Pinot on my way to work. :smile:

• If you show your Season Ticket in The White Swan you can get a discount card which saves you 20p on every pint. They serve some great ales too.