Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adam the peanut man.

edited December 2017 in General Charlton
Over the years there have been a number of threads referring to him but despite a bit of ‘half hearted’ research there has never been a serious attempt to find either a photo or much information about him. We know only that his name was Adam and almost certainly had Eastern European origins......though whether he was an immigrant or born here in The UK is not known.
The only relevant info I can give is that The Kentish Mercury did an extensive article about him many years back.....together with a photo.
He wasn’t a fan of course but he was such an iconic character in the history of the club that I for one would love to see that article again or at least gather more ‘conclusive’ information about him.
Odd pieces of sketchy info have turned up over the years but nothing much of note.
Would it be possible I wonder to find the Mercury article......unlikely I suppose but maybe someone out there may be able to throw some light on it.
If anyone knows more or has any ideas how info might be found, how about sharing it on here.
Over the years, I wonder how many miles he must have traipsed up and down those huge terraces, the reality is probably several thousand and carrying a heavy wicker basket at the same time in all weathers......he certainly earned his tanner a bag!
Adam......who were you?
A perfect item/project for the museum maybe?

I just posted this at 3.30am Friday morning and noticed that PeanutsMolloy is on line......how ironic!

Comments

• I'll look into it
  • It’ll cost you a tanner...
  • Genuinely thought this thread was going to have been started by @JiMMy 85 and was expecting a rant about how Marvel are really scraping the bottom of their superhero catalogue just to make money theee days....
  • edited December 2017

@PeanutsMolloy , are you called Adam?

(Worth a try for starters I thought)

I know an Adam Molloy!!!! (but he doesn't sell peanuts...)
  • As a young boy I stood on the East Stand, just off half way line about 10 feet from front. Well as a little boy I would go to the iron railings with the circular tops and stand with feet between railings on concrete base.
    I remember the peanut man. Was it “ peanuts,peanuts, Tanner a bag”.
  • As a young boy I stood on the East Stand, just off half way line about 10 feet from front. Well as a little boy I would go to the iron railings with the circular tops and stand with feet between railings on concrete base.

Yep, that's him. Short stocky guy, with a mediterenean-type tan.
  • Pedro45 said:

I know of a Molly Malone but she sells sea food.
  • sounds like he was a Gypsy
  • Remember him well,tanner a bag,fairly short,very stocky,round dark skinned face,legend on the east terrace
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2017
    Pedro45 said:

As a young boy I stood on the East Stand, just off half way line about 10 feet from front. Well as a little boy I would go to the iron railings with the circular tops and stand with feet between railings on concrete base.

Yep, that's him. Short stocky guy, with a mediterenean-type tan.
    I wouldn’t say he was short......he was a stout chap though, with a heavy build and thick neck....from memory I’d put him at around 5’-10”.
    Always drenched in sweat and a bit breathless from his considerable exertions, in fact more so than the players on many occasion.
  • I would have thought that the Mercery would be on microfiche in a local library somewhere. Of cource, that would require someone knowing when the article was written.
  • I would have thought that the Mercery would be on microfiche in a local library somewhere. Of cource, that would require someone knowing when the article was written.

Jeez.......I’m going to say something like 40 years ago!
  • Pedro45 said:

Hmmm, this aint gonna be as easy as I first thought.....
  • I used to stand on the East terrace when my old man took me and remember him too, though little about him. Was it just during the 60’s or did he continue into the 70’s?

It would be a great story if it could be unearthed, presumably he’d be long gone?
  • I've searched the British Library's online archive and there's nothing (yet). If someone is in St Pancras though, it may be worth popping in and asking.

https://www.bl.uk/collection-guides/british-newspaper-archive
  • Was this him?

• I’m not far from St Pancras but what exactly would I ask for, particularly as we have no date, re the article?

Was it the “Kentish Mercury or Independent”?
  • My memories are he sold at Charlton and Millwall and walked round with a paper sack, the nuts were already bagged in small paper bags in the sack, and were Percy Daltons. He was called Polack ( therefore assume he was Polish) . An before anybody gets offended this was the 60s /70s and was not regarded as offensive back then. Poles in the UK then we're a rarity.
  • What came after Adam the peanut man...

The guy next to me had a mouthful of peanuts and we scored, projectile pebble dashing the guys in front :smile:

Plus, I always pitied those that had to remove the shells from the terraces.
  • Sponsored links:

• My memories are he sold at Charlton and Millwall and walked round with a paper sack, the nuts were already bagged in small paper bags in the sack, and were Percy Daltons. He was called Polack ( therefore assume he was Polish) . An before anybody gets offended this was the 60s /70s and was not regarded as offensive back then. Poles in the UK then we're a rarity.

I’m highly Discustard by this remark, kindly remove it you Polak!
  • I think he was there in the 50's, and all the years he done the peanuts were always a tanner a bag, so he's overheads could not have gone up much
  • I think he was there in the 50's, and all the years he done the peanuts were always a tanner a bag, so he's overheads could not have gone up much

I remember him in the late fifties.
  • I remember him from the early sixties. Guess he was around for at least 10 years.

Think he always wore a white coat, strange nobody mentioned that, or is my memory playing tricks.
  • I remember him from the early sixties. Guess he was around for at least 10 years.

Think he always wore a white coat, strange nobody mentioned that, or is my memory playing tricks.

I remember him in open neck shirt, and trousers...he had a hairy chest!
  • Part of the scenery in the late 60's and 70's. I think he did other grounds too, I can recall seeing him down the Den on more than one occasion.

'PEANUTS, TANNER A BAG'.

You're right. The peanut man I remember always wore a white coat.

Interesting thread to fill in some detail on a small but integral memory of childhood Charlton.

Digressing a little have I made this up or was there an Old Boy with a brazier selling sweet chestnuts after matches around the same era?

• Yep, he had a white coat. "Peanuts, tann' a bag, peanuts". And yes, there was a roast chestnut man at the top of Floyd Road, by what is now Sainsbury's back entrance.
  • Part of the scenery in the late 60's and 70's. I think he did other grounds too, I can recall seeing him down the Den on more than one occasion.

'PEANUTS, TANNER A BAG'.

He was certainly there in the mid 50’s and possibly before.