Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tree felling question

Long story short, after 3 months of negotiations, Kent County Council have given approval for us to remove a cherry tree from outside our house as we want to put a dropped curb in, Approval will be granted on the understanding we send the council a cheque for £1000 to plant 2 new trees elsewhere. Although I think this is expensive, I'm happy to do it as it's been a long process & I just want to get it sorted. As soon as the council receive the cheque, the approval letter will be sent to us for the removal of the tree.

The email states that we should use 1 of the council approved tree surgeons to fell the tree & they have attached a list of council approved tree surgeons.

My question is, once I've got the approval letter for the removal of the tree, do I have to use 1 of the surgeons listed or can I use my own qualified tree surgeon?? I already feel like we've paid the council enough & don't want the price of tree removal to be bumped up unnecessarily.

Any help much appreciated. Here is the email:

Dear Mr xxxxx

Further to your Vehicle Crossover Application, I can confirm that trial holes to ascertain any underground services has been carried out and agreement has been given by the Soft Landscaping that the tree can be felled in order for the construction of the vehicle crossover, as long as the following requirements are met.

Provisional agreement has been given for a vehicle crossover, this agreement is only given if you fund and manage removal of the highway tree and stump, and also that a cheque for £1,000 is provided to us for the cost of two replacement trees.

If you are in agreement to the above, please send in a cheque for £1,000 for the replacement trees, once this has been received will be able to proceed with your application and provide you with your decision letter.

please find attached a copy of the list of Tree Contractors who you can contact to obtain a quote for the felling of the tree. No works to commence on site until we have received the cheque for the replacement trees, and approval letter has been issued.

Comments

• Options
    Is a tree preservation involved?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Is a tree preservation involved?

No
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    EDIT: I misread your post and based my answer on the tree being on YOUR land.

Their land their liability if the job is not done properly (someone breaks their neck because of a misplaced paving stone for example). Therefore they will want to ensure the job is done to their required standard. If the contractor is not on their list the slippery bastards might try to shift liability onto you if you simply use your own contractor without permission and he /she is not on the list.That said no harm in asking them the question if your preferred contractor is not on their list but make sure you get an answer in writing.

FURTHER EDIT: Not a lawyer so personal opinion given not advice.
  • Options
    I would imagine as the land owner, the council will only permit reputable firms to carry out works.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Ok, well in my recent dealings with a different local authority my trees were subject to a TPO and I was granted permission and provided with a list of approved contractors and suggested species of trees to plant for the ones being removed so slightly different circumstances.

However the tree surgeon we used was not on the approved list yet known to the planning dept and the L A were perfectly happy with him undertaking the work.

I'd go back to them with my preferred choice of contactor, they can only say no. Good Luck'

Edit; Mind you my replacement saplings only cost about £100 in total so for a grand they should be able to tree line a whole street somewhere, robbing so and sos
  • Options
    The letter doesn't state that you are compelled to use one of the listed tree surgeons. So, I would have thought that, as long as you get the work done properly and safely, and whichever contractor you use gives you a letter and a receipt showing that they have carried out the work appropriately, you'll be fine. But I would advise that you simply ask the Council.

Also, if you're not happy about paying the £1,000 (or think it's too expensive), try thinking about it like this. Shut your eyes and imagine how much value you're adding to your property - probably more than £1,000? - and, before you open them, imagine how you would feel if, on opening them, you found that the council had put a dirty great bollard right in front of your drive. A grand shouldn't seem quite so much money.

Finally, on behalf of all Kent taxpayers, thanks for the dough!
  • Options
    Call them to ask?
    I think they're just trying to be helpful in the circumstances- earning their £1000!
  • Options
    I thought the title said tree falling question.

Genuinely thought @Chrissy\\\'s Army!! Was asking if a tree fell and no-one was around would it make a sound
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

EDIT: I misread your post and based my answer on the tree being on YOUR land.

Their land their liability if the job is not done properly (someone breaks their neck because of a misplaced paving stone for example). Therefore they will want to ensure the job is done to their required standard. If the contractor is not on their list the slippery bastards might try to shift liability onto you if you simply use your own contractor without permission and he /she is not on the list.That said no harm in asking them the question if your preferred contractor is not on their list but make sure you get an answer in writing.

FURTHER EDIT: Not a lawyer so personal opinion given not advice.

Firstly it does not seem to categorically state you MUST use one of the traders on the list supplied and secondly even if it did maybe the "slippery bastards" just want to provide residents with a source of tradesmen they are confident won't rip them off, will be properly insured and will do a good job, etc?
  • Options
    On another point a thousand pounds seems extortionate for two new trees. Unless they are big mature ones which I doubt the sort of saplings councils plant with a tube round them for a year or two will cost less than a hundred for both.

I would ask to see the new trees when planted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you wanna feel trees mate the go for it. Not my sort of thing but each to their own.
  • Options
    Thanks all

I'll be paying the £1000 for replacement trees regardless. I have to pay that to get my approval letter anyway, so I have no choice with that, although I think it's a bit expensive.

The removal of the tree outside my house is a separate cost to me.. I have a mate who's a tree surgeonso could probably do it a bit cheaper for me, but he's not on that list which is why I asked the question.

The email makes it sound like I should use 1 of the listed people , so I asked the question on here in case anyone had any experience of this. I'll check with the council but think they'll say I should use 1 of those listed

In my experience, council approved listed contractors are more expensive as they know you have to use them. I'll get some quotes from the list today. Maybe they won't be as expensive as I'm imagining.

Thanks again
  • Options
    From what you have told us i don't think you have to use one of their listed contractors, just a qualified tree surgeon.

They have probably had people trying to pull the tree up themselves which can cause no end of problems. If it is removed properly by qualified people AT YOUR COST, they can't complain that you didn't use Tony from the golf course.

Just out of curiosity, who then pays for the dropped curb?
  • Options
    Best to speak to @Bill_Stumps
  • Options
    I do

From what you have told us i don't think you have to use one of their listed contractors, just a qualified tree surgeon.

They have probably had people trying to pull the tree up themselves which can cause no end of problems. If it is removed properly by qualified people AT YOUR COST, they can't complain that you didn't use Tony from the golf course.

I do. I should add, there is a virgin media CATV box on the pathway outside my house that had to be altered to allow a vehicle crossing, that was 2 grand. A dropped kerb will be about 1,500, tree replacements 1000, plus whatever the removal of the tree costs.

Basically, a vehicle crossing is going to cost me about 5k, that's before I've even paid anything to put in a driveway!
  • Options
    edited December 2017

If you wanna feel trees mate the go for it. Not my sort of thing but each to their own.

I was drunk after our Christmas party last night, in my head this sounded hilarious. This morning less so.
    It's a good job you never got stuck into the takeover thread then mate :wink:
  • Options
    I assume this tree is close(ish) to the road? So surely the choice of lumberjack is because: first they want to retain control over safety of pedestrians and traffic during the removal and second they want to ensure that the contractor has appropriate third party liability insurance?

(I'll do it with my recip saw for £50. :smile: )

Is it actually your tree? Do you have a wood burner or fireplace? If so, ask to keep the bigger bits. Cherry is a dense, slow burning wood and quite aromatic. (If you've got somewhere to allow it to season for a year.)
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I do

I do. I should add, there is a virgin media CATV box on the pathway outside my house that had to be altered to allow a vehicle crossing, that was 2 grand. A dropped kerb will be about 1,500, tree replacements 1000, plus whatever the removal of the tree costs.

Basically, a vehicle crossing is going to cost me about 5k, that's before I've even paid anything to put in a driveway!
    Might have been cheaper to move mate :wink: Still it should add some value if and when you decide to sell up.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I assume this tree is close(ish) to the road? So surely the choice of lumberjack is because: first they want to retain control over safety of pedestrians and traffic during the removal and second they want to ensure that the contractor has appropriate third party liability insurance?

(I'll do it with my recip saw for £50. :smile: )

Is it actually your tree? Do you have a wood burner or fireplace? If so, ask to keep the bigger bits. Cherry is a dense, slow burning wood and quite aromatic. (If you've got somewhere to allow it to season for a year.)

@Chrissy\\\'s Army!! - if it is your tree, you don't have a use for the wood and they are willing to leave some bits (small van size!) I would love to have them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I do

Should just buy a bike & save the environment.
  • Options

Thanks all

I'll be paying the £1000 for replacement trees regardless. I have to pay that to get my approval letter anyway, so I have no choice with that, although I think it's a bit expensive.

The removal of the tree outside my house is a separate cost to me.. I have a mate who's a tree surgeonso could probably do it a bit cheaper for me, but he's not on that list which is why I asked the question.

The email makes it sound like I should use 1 of the listed people , so I asked the question on here in case anyone had any experience of this. I'll check with the council but think they'll say I should use 1 of those listed

In my experience, council approved listed contractors are more expensive as they know you have to use them. I'll get some quotes from the list today. Maybe they won't be as expensive as I'm imagining.

Thanks again

To be honest £1k isn't extortionate.
    To supply the size of stock tree suitable for planting in a public open space would be between £150-£200 each. Add in the planting, sundries like stakes and guards and usually a cost for watering for the first 2-3 years then you're probably approaching the cost.

Not saying that the local authority will carry out the watering, but I'm sure they'll tell you it's part of the costs.