Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Portsmouth | Sat 09 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    In keeping with the occasion, a 1-0 win scored by our No 11
  • Options
    Got to get 3 points this weekend.
  • Options
    I've drafted Mrs 31YearMan into the squad as befittingly she was at the game back in 1992. Only made two appearances since.
    Repeat 1-0 win from 25 years ago.
  • Options
    1-2
  • Options
    Could the EFL have fixed the fixture list to bring up this oppo for this game?
  • Options

I remember seeing something at the beginning of the season where Chris Parkes explained that Charlton had requested the fixture, something they can do for certain reasons.
  • Options

Nothing was exactly fixed but we requested this game to be around the date of our anniversary. The EFL kindly took that into consideration for us to have a day like this. About the only good thing they have done for anyone in however many years.

—————

On the note of the game, not having Kashi and Bauer is a huge loss for us. But I do see players like Holmes and Magennis rising to the occasion and producing the goods. Would be nice to have Solly back and I hope that Jackson does play a little part, just because it’s important to have as much of a Charlton connection as possible on Saturday. Would be fantastic for him to come on and score too.

3 points is a must and I think we will get it...

Charlton 3-1 Portsmouth
    Holmes
    Magennis
    Jackson
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I think Portsmouth will be too strong for us. 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    They may start off cool or they may think it’s all just hype and it won’t effect them but Charlton fans will be a bit emotional because those that were there in 1992 will be, those that weren’t there in 1992 but that had family there who have since died will be and everybody else will be because emotion is infectious. Pompey fans will be noisy and Charlton fans will respond in kind. The Charlton players will feed off that. 3-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton....Not a hammering where there keeper has a blinder but we (for once!) will take our chances and see the game out.
    JFC
    Holmes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Quite nervous about this match.
    I'd play Karlan rather than Magennis, but for the big occasion Karl will play safe.
    Heart says 2-1 (Magennis 2)
    Head says 1-1
  • Options
    Underneath it all we are not a united band of brothers like we were in 92. Not with him in charge.
    Plus we don't score enough goals.
    2-1 Pompey and the mini-slump continues
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton back to winning ways for the big occasion COYR
  • Options
    Serious question: is the pitch going to be covered and/or heated overnight? Forecasting 'real feel' temperatures of -5c or so....
  • Options

Serious question: is the pitch going to be covered and/or heated overnight? Forecasting 'real feel' temperatures of -5c or so....

It's supposed to dip as low as 1 degree (at 8am) on Saturday morning, rising to 5 degrees by match time.

Not time to switch on the (imaginary) boiler just yet.

Incidentally, we know we have the pipes under the pitch. Did anyone come up with an estimate of how much it would cost to complete the heating process, by buying and running a boiler and associated equipment?
    Did the club ever say why they weren't finishing what they started?
    Fairly sure the pipes were laid along with the new pitch.
  • Options
    It's not seriously cold at the moment, no danger of the pitch freezing over

On Tuesday I saw them using that artificial light on the pitch, I'm sure that warms the soil up as well!

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

It's supposed to dip as low as 1 degree (at 8am) on Saturday morning, rising to 5 degrees by match time.

Not time to switch on the (imaginary) boiler just yet.

Incidentally, we know we have the pipes under the pitch. Did anyone come up with an estimate of how much it would cost to complete the heating process, by buying and running a boiler and associated equipment?
    Did the club ever say why they weren't finishing what they started?
    Fairly sure the pipes were laid along with the new pitch.
    I hope you're right - it would be icing on the cake for this administration if the game was called off because the pitch was frozen!
  • Options
    Id like to see a change from Magennis upfront to be honest. The man has continuously fluffed opportunities to kill games off and we've ended up dropping points because of it.
    His miss against AFC Wimbledon compounded this, absolutely woeful striker. If I wanted someone to do loads of running I would buy Mo fucking Farah, he lacks any type of quality
  • Options
    Sadly Charlton do not do "occasions" so I will say 0-2 to Pompey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Am a bit concerned about this game because we haven't been great recently and can't seem to stop conceding goals. Hopefully this will be the one that re-ignites our season.

I am going for a frantic, entertaining, nail-biting 3.2 win with Charlton taking the lead in the 7th minute sending the crowd berserk.
  • Options
    Do we know the timings of the balloons/singer?
  • Options
    in recent times whenever its been an occasion we have usually been piss poor, hope the pompey fans can behave themselves as can see it kicking off a bit otherwise, why they have been given extra tickets i don't know, a lot have already got tickets in the home end so that will likely end in tears should they win and there celebrating when they score, seen it once with leeds and one of them got booted down the stairs.
  • Options

in recent times whenever its been an occasion we have usually been piss poor, hope the pompey fans can behave themselves as can see it kicking off a bit otherwise, why they have been given extra tickets i don't know, a lot have already got tickets in the home end so that will likely end in tears should they win and there celebrating when they score, seen it once with leeds and one of them got booted down the stairs.

Think you'll find a lot who had bought tickets in the home end have since been removed.
  • Options
    2:1 Holmes Marshall
  • Options

Think you'll find a lot who had bought tickets in the home end have since been removed.
    good, because end of the day any injuries come to any supporters then its on the club for allowing ridiclous ticketing procedure, quite why they've been given special treatment is ridiculous. to allow a load of pompey fans a jolly up, wonder what allocation we will get at there place as would imagine quite a few will fancy that.
  • Options
    TBH, although I will always want to see Charlton win I will just happy to be at the Valley. Part of my life for over 50 years.
    COYR.
  • Options
    If either Clarke or Reeves is fit they should play. For the past few games we have had a gaping hole in central midfield, forcing us to either play back or down the wings. Even Aribo would be an option if the other two are not fit.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

If either Clarke or Reeves is fit they should play. For the past few games we have had a gaping hole in central midfield, forcing us to either play back or down the wings. Even Aribo would be an option if the other two are not fit.

Except Karl will probably stick one of them on the right and Holmes down the middle.
  • Options
    Sadly, due to other commitments, I cant go to the game, but will be trying to follow on Valley Pass, when I can. As for the result, I'm concerned that injuries are now taking their toll, the squad, whatever others may say, is woefully short in areas and we have problems, maybe not so much in numbers, but in skill. 25 years ago I stood in The Covered End and had a great day, I wish all who are going a FANtastic day. As for the result well my heart is saying 2-0, but with injuries my head says a defeat, I so want my heart to be right!! Enjoy everyone no matter where you are, the game is important, the day is HISTORIC!! COYR's