Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great Charlton goals you'd forgotten about.

Comments

• Options
    Both our goals in the 2-2 away at Highbury. Morts and McKenzie, great days.
  • Options

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b0pGLZcIx6M
  • Options
    El karkouri free kick against arsenal. Absolutely wellied it. His one against Blackburn in our relegation season made me go mental
  • Options
    There was a great goal that sticks in my mind from the 74/75 season.
    It wasn't televised and is never talked about and I sometimes wonder whether my memory exaggerates how good it was.
    Maybe one of our other fogeys can help me out.
    It was in a home match against one of our promotion rivals, Walsall.
    Basically we blitzed them in a scintillating first half and were 4-0 up at the break.
    The goal in question was our fourth.
    It originated from a Walsall attack that was cleared to the centre circle, where Hales headed it back to Flanagan just in front of our box.
    Flanagan swept it out to Powell on the wing and the counter was on.
    Powell burst down the wing, hugging the touchline, meanwhile parallel to him Hales stormed down the centre, head bobbing like a demented pigeon.
    When he was about level with the 18 yard box Powell crossed the ball, which Hales met first time on the half volley, rifling into the top corner from the edge of the box.
    It was a fucking masterpiece.
    Second half we stayed in the dressing room and the match finished 4-2.
  • Options
    I remember a Harry Cripps screamer around the same time. We we ahead, then they scored (whoever they were?), and from the kick off, the ball went to Cripps who took two touches and lashed it at goal from all of 40 yards. It flew into the top corner with the keeper well beaten. 'arry Boy just raised his arm, as he did, and smiled.
  • Options
    I remember Neal Redfearn scored a good goal against Wimbledon at Selhurst, it must have been about 98 or 99 season boxing day game, think we lost and Sullivan was in goal for them and just watched as it curled round him.
  • Options
    Mark Kinsella at Norwich, at Bolton during the last game at Burnden Park, home to Newcastle in FA Cup, against Man City in 4.0 opening day win. Also he scored a belter in a friendly at Leyton Orient if I remember correctly.

Peter Garland against Bolton at The Valley and at Selhurst Park against Wimbledon.

Lee Bowyer at Palace, overhead kick against Millwall and a couple of crackers at Wimbledon in cup game.

Chris Solly at Blackpool.

Steve Jones at Man City in 2.2. draw(1st goal).

Quite a few of David Whyte's goals but the 3rd goal against Watford really stands out.

The list is endless when you think back over the years.
  • Options
    Jacko's free-kicks back to back weeks against the Sheffield Clubs has just popped into my head - a happier time...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Graham Moore’s volley after playing a one-two with Luciano Masiello versus Norwich. Still the most violently struck goal I’ve ever seen, I think.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Gary Poole away to QPR. Proper screamer from an almost forgotten player, let alone a forgotten goal.

On his debut if I recall correctly. Bradley Allen got the winner and enjoyed taunting the QPR fans who'd been giving him grief all game long.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Mark Kinsella at Norwich, at Bolton during the last game at Burnden Park, home to Newcastle in FA Cup, against Man City in 4.0 opening day win. Also he scored a belter in a friendly at Leyton Orient if I remember correctly.

Peter Garland against Bolton at The Valley and at Selhurst Park against Wimbledon.

Lee Bowyer at Palace, overhead kick against Millwall and a couple of crackers at Wimbledon in cup game.

Chris Solly at Blackpool.

Steve Jones at Man City in 2.2. draw(1st goal).

Quite a few of David Whyte's goals but the 3rd goal against Watford really stands out.

The list is endless when you think back over the years.

Some excellent ones in there. As you say, quite a few of David Whyte's goals (I reckon most of them), but I'd pick out his late free kick to knock Brentford out of the cup, and possibly even better than that, his last ever goal for us away to Reading. Need to see it again, but memory tells me he stuck it in the top corner, past the wig-wearing Reading Keeper (Bobby Mihailov?), from somewhere near the corner flag.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Colin Powell hit a lovely 25yard screamer against Palace at Selhurst park in the early 70's , we lost 2-1 and I think it was on The Big Match, was reported after the game that Andy Nelson told him off for taking a shot!
  • Options

The home game where we beat Brum 2-0.

DB gave Melchiot about 5 yards head start and tore him up for arsehole paper as he burned past him to put the game out of reach in the closing seconds.

I actually preferred our first goal in that game. We won the ball just outside our own area, and in about 6 touches (I seem to remember) Danny Murphy was sticking it in the back of their net...
  • Options
    Morts and Brownie against Bradford in 98 (I think). Morts dribbled it round their entire defence, kit man and half their fans before putting it in the bottom corner, Brownie just rocketed it from about 30 yards - never got more than 3 feet off the ground the whole way. Mint
  • Options

Morts and Brownie against Bradford in 98 (I think). Morts dribbled it round their entire defence, kit man and half their fans before putting it in the bottom corner, Brownie just rocketed it from about 30 yards - never got more than 3 feet off the ground the whole way. Mint

Great game. Mendonca got 2 that day & his second was a classic finish. Someone please show that to Magennis.

As for the 1989 game against Arsenal - should have won it but were denied a stonewall penalty. Never get the decisions against the big teams.
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer against Norwich
  • Options

Great game. Mendonca got 2 that day & his second was a classic finish. Someone please show that to Magennis.

As for the 1989 game against Arsenal - should have won it but were denied a stonewall penalty. Never get the decisions against the big teams.
    Think I've gone on about this game before... there were at least two entire-team brawls, and their goal was a blatant hand ball. Edinho? Oh, and I caught the ball in the crowd for the one and only time. Only Charlton game my sister went to, and she said it was boring...
  • Options

It wasn't televised and is never talked about and I sometimes wonder whether my memory exaggerates how good it was.
    Basically we blitzed them in a scintillating first half and were 4-0 up at the break.
    It originated from a Walsall attack that was cleared to the centre circle, where Hales headed it back to Flanagan just in front of our box.
    Powell burst down the wing, hugging the touchline, meanwhile parallel to him Hales stormed down the centre, head bobbing like a demented pigeon.
    When he was about level with the 18 yard box Powell crossed the ball, which Hales met first time on the half volley, rifling into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Absolutely remember that, and you describe it perfectly.
    I was on the bit of terrace between the West Stand and the Covered End, I still remember it now and it was indeed a masterpiece, and is an example of when we were a classic attacking team from a great era.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hales 2nd in a 3-2 defeat at The Dell circa 1972
  • Options
    Fuller v Posh

Nothing much was happening in the game
    Fuller had the ball and it was looking like a nothing attack.
    Then he smashed it into the back of the net
  • Options

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b0pGLZcIx6M
    I was there.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Totally forgot how good this one from Jerome Thomas was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQpu_YCeZ0

Amazing memory of that goal.

Remember it like yesterday - very fond memories.

Can't believe Arsenal released him- he was special.

Think it was following season we were about 3-0 down at half time though midweek?

Must sit near @Daddy_Pig as thought it was gonna hit me - thanks to the net.
  • Options

I was at this game. Stood by the fence down the front of the Covered End for the first half. Can't remember the goals though.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    All three in that game were crackers. Robinson pinpoint cross for Bowyer to head in and then David Whyte with a late free kick to send the Covered End ballistic and Charlton to a fifth round tie at Anfield.

That Brentford match was the first sell out of a 4-sided Valley since we'd come back. We got about 13,500 at home to Premier League Sheffield Wednesday in the previous round. The days when the FA Cup was still a big deal.
  • Options
    Think we got Liverpool away next round and it was midweek?
  • Options
    Our players even get injured when they have a shot with no opposing player near them.