Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memories of our time ground sharing at Upton Park in 91 and 92.

Comments

• Options
    Shag said:

Charlenes ?

Was quality in there, now a hairdressers.
  • Options

I enjoyed Upton Park for a few reasons:-
    - It was part of the process of going home (Selhurst was part of the process of leaving).
    - It was a nice old school ground that, even with a sparse crowd, had a bit of an atmosphere.
    - It wasn't Selhurst, which was, is, and always will be, a shithole.

In terms of memories:-
    - Leaburn seemed to come good at Upton Park - moved on from assisting to actually scoring.
    - Simon Webster's two late goals against Bristol City
    - Beating Millwall (I think the only time I have seen us do so)
    - Leicester's invasion
    - Robert Lee playing against us for Newcastle in the last "home game" of our exile.

There was an article in the paper when he'd got his first goal there, saying he could be considered a good park player - he'd only ever scored at grounds with 'Park' in the name, Selhurst, Upton and I think Villa and St James's.
  • Options

I didn't miss a game at Upton Park including the Bury game

North first season, Chicken Run second season.

Always found it much more hospitable than Selhurst and for me and the old man a lot easier to get to.

Good memories, Leicester, Sheffield Utd in the cup, Southend, John Hendry (1-0 we beat the scum 1-0) and many Leaburn back post headers.

likewise - I didn’t miss a game home or away back then.
  • Options
    Shag said:

Charlenes ?

With turbo
  • Options
    Also remember Marco Gabiadinni (excuse the spelling) scoring a hat trick against us. I have left the ground early on 3 occasions and that was one of them.
  • Options
    Went to Bury away 0-0 on the Tuesday Tranmere away on the Friday 0-0 nearly a fousand miles in 3 days no goals
  • Options
    Acab said:

Went to Bury away 0-0 on the Tuesday Tranmere away on the Friday 0-0 nearly a fousand miles in 3 days no goals

Tough
  • Options
    Always found it a pain driving through the Blackwall Tunnel
    from Petts Wood, but always easy to park near the ground.
    Was also a decent Working Man's Club behind the South Bank.
    Always made us welcome!
  • Options
    Acab said:

Same - and my coach got stuck in traffic and I missed the first half on the Tranmere game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rudders22 said:

Also remember Marco Gabiadinni (excuse the spelling) scoring a hat trick against us. I have left the ground early on 3 occasions and that was one of them.

Scored in about 9 minutes?
  • Options
    I seem to remember David Speedie mouthing off to our supporters whilst playing for Blackburn, he then had to take goal kicks as their keeper couldn't and he got pulled back over the advertising hoardings by a few of our fans.

I was rather worried at the next "home" game when there was a page about the incident in the programme saying anyone in the picture who was involved would be banned and there was my 15 year old self in the picture laughing, pointing and shouting some kind of abuse at Speedie.
  • Options

clb74 said:

Rudders22 said:

A bit like me down the millers
    Love these threads 25 years time I'll be 68 yrs your be knocking on 100
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Rudders22 said:

Cheeky bugger
  • Options
    A game that sticks out for me was Glenn Hoddle’s Swindon coming to Upton Park. We won 2-0, Minto and Grant with the goals, both tidy finishes.
  • Options
    I never minded upton park, maybe it was just leaving selhurst and knowing it was only temporary. But also some of my favourite players were during that period and around the return to the Valley. Webbo, Balmer, Minto & Walsh, Myself of course, Nelson, Robinson, Stevie Brown. They'd all be in my top 15 favourite players.

Websters Volley (v Bristol City?) We were all waiting for it to end up in row z. I had him to score and the 2-1 result, made over £300 which was a lot to me back then.
  • Options

clb74 said:

Rudders22 said:

And elsewhere......
  • Options

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Rudders22 said:

Cheeky bugger
    CLB74 will snuff it before you Rambo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Webster v Southend at 40/1, 6 of us "explaining politely" that we'd like our collective £500 in cash there and then. His winner against Bristol City, the Leicester game, just a feel good factor that the end of exile. We were great in that first season, Nelson and Gatting coming in about 2 days before the Newcastle game - really unlucky not to make the Play Offs.
  • Options
    I loved it there too after Shithurst. I had a season ticket at both grounds, something I continued right up until my first move to Australia in 2005. Memorable games were against top of the table Swindon and Hoddles boring playing out from the back style and his derogatory comments about us in the match reports. Barness and his wonder own goal. Leicester Home and away.... the hordes coming down the Chicken run was a bit daunting as we stood on the left of the North bank. Listening to the geordies trying to summon up the bottle to have a go in the North bank and deciding they would probably get done. I didn’t miss a game back then and saw most always too. Made a few friends in the Sainsbury end and that continued on the North bank and beyond. We used to drink at a cracking little pub in East Ham, can’t for the life of me remember the name of it but they made us very welcome. We even had a really good session there with some Sheffield Utd fans before a game anwe ended up missing the kick off. Happy days in a proper old football ground.
  • Options

Nowhere could replace the Valley but at least West Ham staff didn't treat us with the contempt they did a Sellout so our last years of exile were slightly less painful than the early years and at least we were were out of the clutches of Noades.

Favourite personal memory of Upton Park @Hartleypete doing the Barclays player of the month presentation of a silver salver to Anthony Barness on the pitch before a game. Still known as "Pete the Plate" to this day.

Oh yes remember that well, I have worse nick names as well!
  • Options
    3-1 FA Cup 3rd round win over Barnet. Heady days reaching the 4th round. I can’t remember who knocked us out.
  • Options
    milo said:

Beating Millwall 1-0, I cant remember the name of who scored, some bloke on loan from somewhere.

Cambridge United, the only game I have ever left early. After eighty minutes of John Beck's antifootball my younger brother and I left to go back to the pub, my older brother remained and saw Paul Gorman's consolation goal, which in my mind I have built up to be a wonder goal that he bullet headed in from twenty-five yards. Please someone confirm that it was just a bundled tap in off his backside from a yard out so that it can stop haunting me.

The only time I ever stayed back to specifically jeer the opposition off the pitch (apart from Jimmy Hill's Coventry).

John Beck was dubbed as Dracula in some circles as he systematically sucked the life blood from football with his appalling tactics (unfortunately with some success).

We knew what was coming of course, as during the warm up the Cambridge squad split into two and fired 40 yard aerial bombshells at each other. This practice then proceeded to ensue throughout the entire 90 minutes of the match. Cambridge played the percentage game of getting the ball into the penalty area by any means possible. They played for any dead ball situation, be it a free kick, corner or throw in, where their bean pole athletes would seek to gain advantage. Very clever, but had it caught on football would be dead and buried by now.

I note that the FA employed John Beck in 2013 at St Georges Park as a coach educator, God help us.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/05/john-beck-fa-coaching
  • Options

3-1 FA Cup 3rd round win over Barnet. Heady days reaching the 4th round. I can’t remember who knocked us out.

Sheffield United. We took a lot up there for the replay and played well but lost 3-1. Being 2 down after 10 minutes didn't help.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Sheffield United in the replay. We battered them at Upton Park in the 1st tie but just couldn't get the goal we deserved. We took around 2,000 up for the replay and were 0.3 down by half time. Brian Deane got at least one. Their keeper Simon Treacy had an absolute blinder against us up there.

• Options

Shag said:

Charlenes ?

Was quality in there, now a hairdressers.
    Ledge said:

Shag said:

Charlenes ?

With turbo
    Good days lads eh
  • Options

I became a regular after that game. Before then I had only gone to occasional games, but clearly I was so overwhelmed by us beating the might Barnet that I started going all the time...