Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memories of our time ground sharing at Upton Park in 91 and 92.

Comments

• Options
    Going in a pub not far from the ground on the way to the ground on a Sunday that had a stripper 'performing'. She walked round with a jug after collecting and letting blokes do all sorts to her. When she got to our table she said to my brother 'I know you, you drink in The Castle in Eltham!!! 4 of us there that day, 7 on the return in 92 and 5 will be there on Saturday. One has packed it in as a protest and one sadly died some years ago but offspring etc have actually swelled the number going now although it has reduced in the last few yaers.
  • Options
    playing some absolutely superb football when beating Portsmouth 3-0.
  • Options

Really enjoyed Upton park. Was 15-16 at the time and coincided with me going to football with mates, getting in pubs etc.

Looking back, the North Bank and its echo after the open end of the Holmesdale was fantastic, and the back of that stand saw the formation of many groups, friendships etc that last until today.

One has to hand it to The Hammers, they made us feel at home and we were treated with respect.......a far cry from the unwelcome, cool and aloof approach meted out by The Glaziers............ which of course many of us have not and will not ever forget.
    Yes, that makes it sad what West Ham (as a club) have become
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

cafckev said:

What about Webster turning on the supporters at the final whistle after one really poor performance (can't remember the game). As he walked off, he turned around and really gave us some verbal!

Bury, League Cup, October 1992
    Been trying to wipe that game from my memory..all I can see is that kit Bury played in that night :open_mouth:
  • Options
    I remember being able to walk home after a match and still be in time for James Alexander Gordon.

Still over the moon when we left though.
  • Options
    The Leicester game, but for the commotion afterwards. We always stood behind the goal & the Old Bill kept US back for 10 mins after the game to allow for the Leicester fans to dispersed & then told us that when we left we had to go round the back of the stand & past the main stand (instead of along the "chicken run" and out onto the main road, which then led us straight into thousands of Leicester fans. I remember losing it at that point & shouting to the police on horseback that they were idiots & that they couldn't run a p**s up in the proverbial.

Also remember an evening game where we lost to what I thought was a Mendonca hat trick (or a brace), but reading on here it may well have been Gabiadini. I had recently got married & it was my wife's first game at a football match & she kept saying "oh dear, I don't think that should have happened" every time a goal went in. Don't think I ever took her again.
  • Options
    I mostly used to sit next to the away dugout, and after Tranmere beat us to kill our play off hopes (1-0, Aldridge I think?), Ronnie Moore (who was Tranny coach) was getting absolute pelters from all around. At the final whistle I apologised to him, and he acknowledged it and said he understood.

I remember being on the North Bank for the first game versus Newcastle, and seeing Leaburn score below me. The Leicester 2-0 game was a good one, and I didn't miss many. I was absent for the Milwall victory sadly (and heard about the result from a fellow Charlton fan flying between Sydney and Adelaide during the 92 World Cup down under), but there for the 2-0 televised loss against them.
  • Options
    I was mascot for the first game at Upton Park so that will always be a good memory. Most of the home games in that 91-92 season were good-I missed Millwall but the Leicester and Southend games stand out and, as someone mentioned earlier, big Carl adding a few goals to his game was great as we had been waiting about four years for it to happen.
  • Options
    The last game against Newcastle. Stood on the terracing singing 'Back to the Valley'. Still brings tingles down my spine thinking about it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

Going in a pub not far from the ground on the way to the ground on a Sunday that had a stripper 'performing'. She walked round with a jug after collecting and letting blokes do all sorts to her. When she got to our table she said to my brother 'I know you, you drink in The Castle in Eltham!!! 4 of us there that day, 7 on the return in 92 and 5 will be there on Saturday. One has packed it in as a protest and one sadly died some years ago but offspring etc have actually swelled the number going now although it has reduced in the last few yaers.

I remember it well but haven't got a clue what happened in that game at Upton Park!!
  • Options
    Singing " there's only one team at Upton " when we beat West Ham 1-0..........just brilliant.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

It was a nice change to actually feel welcome when we used to drink in that club right by the ground.
    Also remember being in Edinburgh when we beat West Ham 1-0 with pardew scoring if I remember correctly.

Manhattans i think
    I think manhattans was in that set back parade on green street.
    The one I'm on about was within 20 yards of the turnstiles. Pretty sure it was whu supporters club or a ciu club. Either way, was more welcoming than glaziers or crystals whatever it was called.
  • Options
    Vague memories of Linvoy Primus making his debut in a 0-0 draw. Thought it was Birmingham. He was superb, then only played 4 games.
  • Options
    The moment one of ours in the North Bank snuck up on the Derby keeper and tried to pull him into the stand.

Think he was sat on the wall while an injury was treated.

Webster at 40/1.

The first game against Newcastle - beat a strongly fancied team that year.

Worst memory - blowing the play offs by losing at home to Tranmere on a Tuesday evening.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Vague memories of Linvoy Primus making his debut in a 0-0 draw. Thought it was Birmingham. He was superb, then only played 4 games.

It was Birmingham and I think he got man of the match that day.
  • Options
    The Barnet FA Cup tie when it seemed as though they had about 7 players up front when they were chasing the game at 2.1. Remember a crazy goalmouth scramble in our box when Colin Walsh was on the ground and actually put his head on the ball with boots flying everywhere. That was the never say die spirit of that squad of players. Bolder made a brilliant double save during that scramble too. Kim Grant then scored a third for us to wrap it up. The game was a Sunday lunchtime kick-off if I remember rightly.

Also the cup tie against Sheffield United where we battered them but just couldn't get the goal we deserved to win it.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I mostly used to sit next to the away dugout, and after Tranmere beat us to kill our play off hopes (1-0, Aldridge I think?), Ronnie Moore (who was Tranny coach) was getting absolute pelters from all around. At the final whistle I apologised to him, and he acknowledged it and said he understood.

I remember being on the North Bank for the first game versus Newcastle, and seeing Leaburn score below me. The Leicester 2-0 game was a good one, and I didn't miss many. I was absent for the Milwall victory sadly (and heard about the result from a fellow Charlton fan flying between Sydney and Adelaide during the 92 World Cup down under), but there for the 2-0 televised loss against them.

A brave man given the times we lived in
  • Options
    I didn't miss a game at Upton Park including the Bury game

North first season, Chicken Run second season.

Always found it much more hospitable than Selhurst and for me and the old man a lot easier to get to.

Good memories, Leicester, Sheffield Utd in the cup, Southend, John Hendry (1-0 we beat the scum 1-0) and many Leaburn back post headers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    milo said:

Beating Millwall 1-0, I cant remember the name of who scored, some bloke on loan from somewhere.

Cambridge United, the only game I have ever left early. After eighty minutes of John Beck's antifootball my younger brother and I left to go back to the pub, my older brother remained and saw Paul Gorman's consolation goal, which in my mind I have built up to be a wonder goal that he bullet headed in from twenty-five yards. Please someone confirm that it was just a bundled tap in off his backside from a yard out so that it can stop haunting me.

Sorry to disappoint you but it was great bullet header. About ten to twelve yards out though.
  • Options
    Nowhere could replace the Valley but at least West Ham staff didn't treat us with the contempt they did a Sellout so our last years of exile were slightly less painful than the early years and at least we were were out of the clutches of Noades.

Favourite personal memory of Upton Park @Hartleypete doing the Barclays player of the month presentation of a silver salver to Anthony Barness on the pitch before a game. Still known as "Pete the Plate" to this day.
  • Options

Nowhere could replace the Valley but at least West Ham staff didn't treat us with the contempt they did a Sellout so our last years of exile were slightly less painful than the early years and at least we were were out of the clutches of Noades.

Favourite personal memory of Upton Park @Hartleypete doing the Barclays player of the month presentation of a silver salver to Anthony Barness on the pitch before a game. Still known as "Pete the Plate" to this day.

The Upton Park staff were generally better, but then they did nick all the gate receipts!
  • Options
    Colin Walsh goal in the 3-1 defeat of West Ham, Melrose and John Perason scored the other 2 great day out
  • Options
    edited December 2017

It was a nice change to actually feel welcome when we used to drink in that club right by the ground.
    Also remember being in Edinburgh when we beat West Ham 1-0 with pardew scoring if I remember correctly.

Manhattans. Although wasn’t that friendly after a game against Pompey.

@northstandsteve had a great photo blown up of a load of us in the garden at one game.
  • Options

What's wrong with it?
  • Options

playing some absolutely superb football when beating Portsmouth 3-0.

This was my first ever game. I don't remember much of that season as I was only 4. I mostly recall little moments like missing the Woolwich ferry before Bristol Rovers, trying Bovril, and asking my dad stupid questions. We sat along the side in the upper tier, I'm seeing my parents on Thursday so will see if I can find any photos.

One game I've not seen mentioned so far is that I'm sure we beat West Ham 'away' early in 92/93.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Manhattans i think
    Manhattans was at Spurs

The club behind the stand was a CIU club at the back of the sth stand