Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Polished Porcelain Tiles

Not sure if we've had a thread on these before, but no matter what your question someone on CL will have an answer/opinion so I thought I'd come on here for some advice.

We are planning to renovate our ensuite bathroom and went out looking for tiles at the weekend and came across some rather nice polished porcelain tiles for a very good discounted price (about 1.20 a square foot). They seem decent quality and we both like them so we're considering using it on the floor and inside the shower (floor and walls) because we won't beat that price. However I have a couple of concerns and was wondering if anyone on here has a similar type of tile in their house and can tell me how you find it, in particular:

1) How slippery is the polished tile when wet? I'm not worried about it when it is dry but don't want to go arse over tit every time I step out of the shower or while I am standing in the shower.

2) How tough is it to keep clean and looking good - does it tend to show smears/water marks after moping etc.? Will the tiles in the shower look permanently grubby with soap scum and water marks if we don't clean it after every use?

3) Do you find it hard wearing or is it prone to scratches spoiling the shiny finish?

We have a large dog and a 2 year old kid and, although the ensuite is theoretically just for us to use, I doubt we'll be able to keep the rest of the family out of there completely so need the level of maintenace and care that the floor requires to be practical.

Cheers in advance for any opinions shared!

Comments

• 1) Nothing on the planet is more slippery than wet polished porcelain

2) The only time they look properly good is the second you get off your hands and knees from cleaning them with a microfiber and either white vinegar or screenwash. The rest of the time you will look at them cursing yourself for buying them

3) They are hard wearing

I've got them in my kitchen, they look really good when shiny and clean but that lasts about 10 minutes before they attract any dust, hair, fur, anything. I would definitely not choose them again as much as they look amazing in the shop.
  • Thought it was another thread about the bloke who “replaced” Yann.
  • MrLargo said:

Carter said:

1) Nothing on the planet is more slippery than wet polished porcelain

I'm sorry I have to question you on this point. Have you not come across a few damp leaves on a Southeastern railway track?
    I salute you Canters. Your bitterness is now at a level where you can find a way of bringing South Eastern Trains' incompetence into any conversion whatsoever - your commuter initiation is complete.

Wouldn't bet against the devious shits using "porcelain on the line" as an excuse in the not too distant future.
    Honoured I am, to receive this title from one so bitter as yourself.
  • MrLargo said:

Carter said:

1) Nothing on the planet is more slippery than wet polished porcelain

I'm sorry I have to question you on this point. Have you not come across a few damp leaves on a Southeastern railway track?
    I salute you Canters. Your bitterness is now at a level where you can find a way of bringing South Eastern Trains' incompetence into any conversion whatsoever - your commuter initiation is complete.

Wouldn't bet against the devious shits using "porcelain on the line" as an excuse in the not too distant future.
    Honoured I am, to receive this title from one so bitter as yourself.
    And I lolled you both to make it a bitter threesome
  • I think these must be the tiles my niece has in her bathroom. Look lovely with a high gloss finish. BUT they are really slippery. In my view she's compounded the problem by going for a wet room style shower with the same floor tiles which, as an old git, I find quite dangerous. Add some shampoo to the mix and you're sliding about all over the place!

(Again, in my opinion she's also made a mistake in the choice of bath. She went for one of those baths with a standpipe style tap set up. This means that once you're in, if you need to adjust the temperature of the water, your wet hands drip water all over the floor and as it's close to the wall it's difficult to get to to mop up. As an aside, the position of the pop-up waste in the bath is directly under your arse so you keep unintentionally operating the pop-up and losing your water. Who designs this stuff?)
  • Wait so someone can come on here to talk about polished porcelain tiles and thats fine,
    i had a perfectly good question about highlights and get ridiculed.

What is the world coming to :wink:
  • edited December 2017
    cafcfan said:

As an aside, the position of the pop-up waste in the bath is directly under your arse so you keep unintentionally operating the pop-up and losing your water.

Unintentional, literal butt plug eh?
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

As an aside, the position of the pop-up waste in the bath is directly under your arse so you keep unintentionally operating the pop-up and losing your water.

Unintentional, literal butt plug eh?
    Yeah, either that or a self-service prostate check!
  • anyone remember the public service ad from the 70's aimed at the housewives

'Polish a floor and put a rug on it?'
    'It's a man trap.'

• MrOneLung said:

anyone remember the public service ad from the 70's aimed at the housewives

'It's a man trap.'

No.
  • Ask polish Pete.
  • MrOneLung said:

anyone remember the public service ad from the 70's aimed at the housewives

'It's a man trap.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt016gTNp_k
  • The housewife/woman in that looked very much like Brenda Blethyn.