Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AFC Wimbledon vs Charlton FA Cup 2nd rd: post match views

Comments

• Options
    Don’t care that we’re out of the cup but do care that we played pretty much our first team and we got humped. Can’t see why we risked some key players with the amount of injuries we already have, but having sent the regular troops out I would have hoped for better against Wimbledon who are rubbish. Our momentum is stalling I fear.
  • Options
    We just don't do the FA Cup(except 1947) Was there today and if Maginess scores( as he should) we woud have gone onto win the game.Sarr had a dodgy game - cost us the first goal -Djilksteel looks good.Lets hope we have Clarke back forvPompey.Funny 'old game Saint' as at the start of the season a lot of us were doubting Clarke and Fosu and excited by Reeves and Marshall!

• Options

Don’t care that we’re out of the cup but do care that we played pretty much our first team and we got humped. Can’t see why we risked some key players with the amount of injuries we already have, but having sent the regular troops out I would have hoped for better against Wimbledon who are rubbish. Our momentum is stalling I fear.

"Pretty much our first team" without Solly, Kashi, Pearce, Fosu, Clarke...Reeves even...
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    sam3110 said:

People can't wait to jump on Sarr's back ffs, been our best performing central defender the past 2 months

So if he has a game where we think he’s not very good nobody can mention it ?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    It's been said before and I have to agree Sarr and Konsa are not a good combo either are better with Bauer or Pearce who are the best CB pairing imo.
  • Options
    KR saying Pearce, Solly, Reeves and most importantly Clarke will be back v Pompey.

Just hope they aren't rushed back
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I would like to see a Pearce/Sarr partnership tried. And don't give me 'they're both left-footed!' Pearce is no-footed

Do you really think that Sarr is better than Konsa? Let alone as reliable as Bauer.
  • Options

We just don't do the FA Cup(except 1947) Was there today and if Maginess scores( as he should) we woud have gone onto win the game.Sarr had a dodgy game - cost us the first goal -Djilksteel looks good.Lets hope we have Clarke back forvPompey.Funny 'old game Saint' as at the start of the season a lot of us were doubting Clarke and Fosu and excited by Reeves and Marshall!

Bit harsh, we made the final in 46.
  • Options
    When was the last time we were in the cup after Christmas?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

When was the last time we were in the cup after Christmas?

Two seasons ago but it was our first FA Cup match and we lost to the mighty Colchester.
  • Options
    Wimbledon play a tight, mainly long ball game, a bit like a sub millwall. We play a loose tippy tappy system that seems to leave us vulnerable at times when it breaks down. I wonder if any of the Wimbledon team would get into ours? Maybe Taylor? Long, their keeper was quite good but Amos did not have a bad game imo.
  • Options
    Looked liked a comedy of errors one end and missed chances at the other. If we don't start converting more chances we won't stay in the top six for long.

We really miss Clarke and Pearce.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    It’s really not important that we are knocked out, but AFC fucking Wimbledon !!!!!!!! Ffs.
  • Options
    Also highlights just how far away this current squad would be from making a fist of staying in the championship.
  • Options
    I hate it when we lose. But I rather be out of the cup. So we can now concentrate on gaining promotion. Anyway we been to Huddersfield away enough times. Ps Roland if you are reading this your still a CxxT
  • Options

KAG was coming off before his injury ( looked like he got caught by an elbow into his mouth & may need some dental work by looks of things). KR had told him a good 5 mins earlier he was coming off (he wasn't too pleased at this news) and I have no idea why as his pace was causing them problems. But that wasn't the most unusual substitution of the day, No, that one goes to Lennon. 5 mins to go, losing 3-1in a Cup tie, our esteemed manger decides to take of Aribo (a midfielder) and replace him with Lennon (a defender) and move Konsa (a defender) into midfield. As they used to say at the start of SOAP........confused ?? you will be !!! I can only assume that KR decided at that point (or even at 2pm) that we didn't want more fixture postponements and so a defeat was worth the (non) effort. Injury time was a joke, with the defenders passing it around themselves as it we were 5-0 up & just wanting to kill time. Not once did the ball get pumped forward & I don't think we got into their box once Lennon came on. KR may also have known that on 3rd round day (jan 6th) AFC Wimbledon were supposed to be hosting Blackburn so one of our play-off rivals will be playing catch up................and some say Scousers are thick !!!

That's a good observation, it was a very strangely lethargic period of injury time considering we had made up a 2 goals deficit 5 days earlier. It felt like "give Harry a little run out in a proper game after a year" type of substitution, especially as Sarr didn't go up front which was most of us assumed would happen
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

It's been said before and I have to agree Sarr and Konsa are not a good combo either are better with Bauer or Pearce who are the best CB pairing imo.

Bang on! Don't really give a toss for the FA Cup; if the Premier league clubs don't give a shit why should Charlton? Lost my enthusiasm for this competition when the government of the day 'persuaded' Man United to pull out of the competition to play in a meaningless South american tournament.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was driving back from Bath so missed the whole game. Just caught up with the match thread, thanks all for comments.

Disappointed to exit the cup, once again, at this stage. Really thought we would get that big tie in the next round.

The highlights show some shocking defending. My view us that this side is seriously lacking leaders at the moment. Too many are injured and those that are playing (Holmes and Magennis) have played so many minutes this season they're not in a position to drag the side through as they have done in the past.

We need some leaders back and quick. It's not quality that's lacking. Everyone in that 17 today is a good player and has shown it at times. I just don't think the combination was right. We lack fight and leadership.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Croydon said:

There are no words for how bad Sarr is.

Missed our last ten games, have you?
    He has been OK in a lot of those games, though the reviews of his performances have been massively exaggerated - probably because he isn't completely shocking like he was in his previous spell.

Still a huge liability at the back.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

People can't wait to jump on Sarr's back ffs, been our best performing central defender the past 2 months

Well said. Although Pearce was very good before he was injured.
  • Options

Was driving back from Bath so missed the whole game. Just caught up with the match thread, thanks all for comments.

Disappointed to exit the cup, once again, at this stage. Really thought we would get that big tie in the next round.

The highlights show some shocking defending. My view us that this side is seriously lacking leaders at the moment. Too many are injured and those that are playing (Holmes and Magennis) have played so many minutes this season they're not in a position to drag the side through as they have done in the past.

We need some leaders back and quick. It's not quality that's lacking. Everyone in that 17 today is a good player and has shown it at times. I just don't think the combination was right. We lack fight and leadership.

Yes canters, agreed.

Missing Solly, Bauer and Pearce is huge, all leaders in a way and have all captained us. Resting Kashi is important but again he leads more than Aribo for example, with total respect to Aribo by the way.

Would do anything for Jackson to have been even a couple of years younger, I do feel at times we really lack that leadership in the centre of the park helping the others out.

Overall though, that’s a lot of players either out, injured or rested that we would deem as more of a leader to help us more.

We will be a much better side once Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Fosu, Clarke, and Reeves are all fit and ready.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

sam3110 said:

Well said. Although Pearce was very good before he was injured.
    Bauer too. In October, we only let in 1 goal in 4 matches
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Dogshit simple as that, mag missing an open goal from 3 yards sums it up, Sarr bullied by McDonald which I was shocked by and Marshall’s end product poor again

I thought I read that Marshall provided the assist for KAG's goal:

"But the Addicks equalised when Mark Marshall's fast, low cross from the right picked out a first-time finish from inside the six-yard box from Karlan Ahearne-Grant."

BBC report

That was a shot that was turned in, and 1 out of 15 crosses / shots doesn’t make his end product good.
  • Options
    Another reason which is good we are out of the cup is that if. We get a big home tye say man city at home and it's on the telly. Then Roland gets more money in his back pocket.
  • Options
    Well we’re out, didn’t take our chances, and defended horrendously, keep up this rate we will also be out of the playoffs shortly. What annoys me with the club and more the pr department we lose a game we have Karl’s bs excuses, then an hour later there plugging the pompey game give it a fucking rest.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

"Pretty much our first team" without Solly, Kashi, Pearce, Fosu, Clarke...Reeves even...
    Pretty much the best available 11. I don’t think that was wise.
  • Options
    Pretty pissed off with that performance.

Too many had below par games,Sarr had a bad game and looked unsure of himself,JFC,Marshall and Holmes,Big Mag was awful,the bloke marking him had him in his pocket for so long I was surprised he didn't come off of the pitch covered in fluff and old bus tickets.

I was just to the right of the Charlton dug-out and Robinson was very subdued during the 2nd half,not his usual gobby self.

But hay ho,on we go.