Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 January Transfer Window Rumours Thread (DEADLINE DAY from Page 56)

Comments

• shirty5 said:

Redrobo said:

sammy391 said:
    I think we are closed to business at the moment.

We are open to all offers for any of our players.
    Not sure we can sell during the DD and sale.
  • dickplumb said:

uie2 said:

So once again KR is spouting his mouth off only to find that his targets are no more than punts. The only decent striker that he has intimated (not named by the way) is Moore, and I don't reckon we had spent £750k in any case. Armstrong scored 5 goals last season and just 1 this season. And he's only 20.

I'm still waiting for him to name the "in form" striker that he said that we were going to sign - not youngsters with no experience - we have plenty of those..........and it showed tonight.

Alan Armstrong would have scored goals here ! And Pittman was named the other day as another striker target and is in form for Pompey!!!
    I thought it was Adam Armstrong?

Yes your right :)
  • Does this not wind people up? I get we’re a mess off the field but the players themselves are the ones who have underperformed lately. No club gets promoted when they throw their toys out of the pram when it gets tough.

Seriously?? Mr Cawley tell them to play better then and score some bloody goal instead of missing chances!!
  • Oggy Red said:

shirty5 said:
    Maybe Bury have already contacted Charlton and said, "Do us a favour, can't you recall him .....please?

Wouldn't it be funny if Ajose came back from Bury and scored the goals to get us promoted!
  • If you don't want to be here then f*ck off. Simple.

No, not simple at all.

Why don't players want to be here?

What caused that?

Who was responsible?

How can that be changed?
    The Holmes situation is different, but with Konsa to an extent, it's how it's always been. Club in a higher division willing to pay more money and a step up, that's how football has always worked.

You can easily imagine a future England squad with Gomez (Charlton), Stones (Barnsley), Walker and Maguire (both Sheff Utd), with maybe Rose at LB (Leeds) or Shaw (Soton)

Everton are very good at signing young players from smaller English clubs, signing in recent years Lookman (Charlton), Stones and Holgate (Barnsley), Calvert-Lewin (Sheff Utd).
  • Ajose scored 6 goals in half a season with us before going on loan to Swindon. Unfortunately, 6 goals in half a season is an improvement on what we have.
  • Ajose scored 6 goals in half a season with us before going on loan to Swindon. Unfortunately, 6 goals in half a season is an improvement on what we have.

Robinson clearly doesn't rate Ajose, he shipped him out as soon as he could last year. I can't see him returning unless under a different manager
  • Metz looking to re-sign Kashi.

Fuck sake
  • Can Mavididi not play as a striker off the shoulder? We haven't had someone running in behind probably since BWP, and it releases so much pressure and allows the midfield to get up! Issue we have at the moment is we play the ball forward and that shithouse Magennis doesn't have a first touch or the ability to hold the ball up so the midfield are back under the kosh within seconds!
  • Sponsored links:

• tgarrat1 said:

Can Mavididi not play as a striker off the shoulder? We haven't had someone running in behind probably since BWP, and it releases so much pressure and allows the midfield to get up! Issue we have at the moment is we play the ball forward and that shithouse Magennis doesn't have a first touch or the ability to hold the ball up so the midfield are back under the kosh within seconds!

If he can’t, Grant can. That is where he plays best. Pity we don’t play him there.

When teams press the ball down the channel is effective and he has the pace and determination to get there.
  • I personally hope we don’t recall Ajose. Would prefer waiting and hoping we can get someone else in before the end of the window than rushing Ajose back from Bury.

Honestly, if Ajose doesn’t play for Charlton again it wouldn’t worry me.
  • Scoham said:
    I think that's a good move for him. It'll be a good test of his ability to cope.

• Will the last player to leave CAFC please turn off the lights.
  • edited January 2018
    Scoham said:
    I thought we were so short of players we wouldn't be able to fill the bench tomorrow?
  • He's no loss an will be released in June anyway
  • If we recall Ajose, and play him, I'm starting a one man boycott.
  • JamesSeed said:

If we recall Ajose, and play him, I'm starting a one man boycott.

An Ajosecott
  • Sponsored links:

• He's no loss an will be released in June anyway

Maybe, but the point is according to our leader, we only have 16 fit players. So why loan him out at this stage if he could be on the bench tomorrow.

• shirty5 said:

He's no loss an will be released in June anyway

Maybe, but the point is according to our leader, we only have 16 fit players. So why loan him out at this stage if he could be on the bench tomorrow.

Probably better for the player to get a loan move than warming a bench. Surprisingly long-termist of Robbo though.
  • shirty5 said:

According to KR after the Southend debacle, where we only had 6 subs, he said that he felt it pointless putting an U23 or whoever on the bench just to make up the numbers. He said that they have had to have warranted it (or something to that effect)
  • edited January 2018

shirty5 said:

According to KR after the Southend debacle, where we only had 6 subs, he said that he felt it pointless putting an U23 or whoever on the bench just to make up the numbers. He said that they have had to have warranted it (or something to that effect)
    But if, for example, you had no defenders on the bench, it would make sense to have a youth defender (eg. Barnes/Bowry/Mascoll) as cover, as opposed to a midfield player covering there. Also that youth player gets a bit of matchday experience.

Not putting players on the bench is just a tactic from Robinson to make his position look worse and put pressure on RD to strengthen (which won't happen).
  • I reckon katrien has booked a table for two....
  • Sheffield Utd fan I know reckons we're signing Godden from Stevenage when Holmes goes. Highly doubt it though unless Roland sells up ASAP.
  • Sheffield Utd fan I know reckons we're signing Godden from Stevenage when Holmes goes. Highly doubt it though unless Roland sells up ASAP.

Holmes transfer fee pays for Godden?

Keeps the books stable for DD, perhaps.

• shirty5 said:

bollox and seth plumb et al who see the yoot more can speak to this, but it seems to me like Mascoll, Terique Anderson, and Blumberg are all having decent seasons. Maybe they've been training with the senior team and haven't impressed. Still feels strange (and dumb) to me.
  • Redrobo said:

tgarrat1 said:

Can Mavididi not play as a striker off the shoulder? We haven't had someone running in behind probably since BWP, and it releases so much pressure and allows the midfield to get up! Issue we have at the moment is we play the ball forward and that shithouse Magennis doesn't have a first touch or the ability to hold the ball up so the midfield are back under the kosh within seconds!

If he can’t, Grant can. That is where he plays best. Pity we don’t play him there.

When teams press the ball down the channel is effective and he has the pace and determination to get there.
    He has played there more in recent weeks. Did a good job against Wigan I felt. Looked very dangerous against Oldham as the teams tired. The problem is he just doesn't finish off chances. To be fair, he makes a fair few for himself, but he still struggles to find the net in the league.
  • Ben18 said:

shirty5 said:

But if, for example, you had no defenders on the bench, it would make sense to have a youth defender (eg. Barnes/Bowry/Mascoll) as cover, as opposed to a midfield player covering there. Also that youth player gets a bit of matchday experience.

Not putting players on the bench is just a tactic from Robinson to make his position look worse and put pressure on RD to strengthen (which won't happen).
    Must be disheartening for the youth players too when the manager prefers an empty space on the bench to their talent.