Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 January Transfer Window Rumours Thread (DEADLINE DAY from Page 56)

Comments

• Does this not wind people up? I get we’re a mess off the field but the players themselves are the ones who have underperformed lately. No club gets promoted when they throw their toys out of the pram when it gets tough.

Yeah it does a bit, I already said that although we have got a shit owner etc and a fragile squad, we played a full strength team against Plymouth, Gillingham and Bury, all when we were 'in form' and they were at the bottom and we picked up 1 point. That's down to the players and Robinson. If we had took all 9 we would sit comfortably in the play offs and be chasing an auto slot, so the players really can't complain imo. They're not good enough, simples
  • Those getting pissed off with Karl I don’t blame them I’m one of them, the guy seriously needs to shut his gob as mentioned before fans of clubs take direction from there manager and if we’re annoyed and confused by him how the fuck are the players meant to understand.

3 weeks ago
    “ no one will be going out unless I have suitable replacements”
    Last night
    “Not able to say that players won’t be going out this month”

And the feeling sorry for him, Na plenty before him were puppets wasn’t going to be any different for him, aim For me now is get to end of season hopefully a takeover, just another year down the drain with a mid table finish and pray to fucking god that the new owners have a bit more ambition that the current prick that owns us.

So it seems Karl can’t win . The guy is telling the fans how it is . Why would you want him to keep his gob shut ?
    neil harris was at the game last night according to twitter watching ricky holmes and josh ruffels of oxford.
    Didn't know this.

Part of me would love him at our place and another part wouldn't. It'd be great for us but, for me, would be another kick in your teeth from your owner. This time selling to your closest geographical rival.

Maybe that will be his parting shot?!
  • Oggy Red said:

Let's look at it from Ricky's point of view:

1) Charlton in chaos. Full of uncertainty, everything crumbling. No one knows what's happening.

2) If no more strengthening of the Charlton team this window, promotion is unlikely to happen.

3) He signed an extended contract in the summer, because his manager convinced him this season he would win promotion - and get his chance to play in the Champ next season.

4) Sheffield Utd gives him a chance to play at that higher level.

5) At approaching 31 years old, this could very well be last chance saloon to achieve his ambition.

6) £££££££ ...... as a family man and end of career just over the horizon, he has a duty to do the best for his family.

7) He's just f*cked off. But unlike everyone else, he's got an opportunity to escape the asylum.

He may have also liked playing for Robbo as it suits his game and now suspects he maybe on his way if takeover happens so now wants to move.

Anyway, wanting out and getting out are two different things. Can Sheffield Utd match our valuation and is there anyone that can or want to sanction a move?

I don’t accept this career thing though. If this is what he really wanted he had his chance in the summer and did not take it.

He has secured his financial future with a long term contract with us, and maybe Utd are now offering a similar deal which was not on offer then. Who knows.

Either way, hard cheese. There are more important things to worry about at the moment than Homes and I think him asking for a move now after just signing an extension with us is disrespectful to us fans given the injury plight we have at the moment. Selfish git.
  • Does this not wind people up? I get we’re a mess off the field but the players themselves are the ones who have underperformed lately. No club gets promoted when they throw their toys out of the pram when it gets tough.

Yes, it's not as is he's been playing brilliantly all this time himself
  • edited January 2018

Does this not wind people up? I get we’re a mess off the field but the players themselves are the ones who have underperformed lately. No club gets promoted when they throw their toys out of the pram when it gets tough.

Yeah it does a bit, I already said that although we have got a shit owner etc and a fragile squad, we played a full strength team against Plymouth, Gillingham and Bury, all when we were 'in form' and they were at the bottom and we picked up 1 point. That's down to the players and Robinson. If we had took all 9 we would sit comfortably in the play offs and be chasing an auto slot, so the players really can't complain imo. They're not good enough, simples
    This. I was at all 3 games & didn't look like a team chasing promotion. Let in the first goal in the 2 away games & then spent the entire 2nd halves trying to pass our way through or behind them to no avail. No plan B at all.

The only way Holmes leaving would be ok was if ALL the money was spent on players. It wont be of course.

PS. Can we do the deal & then send them Reeves instead.
  • shirty5 said:
    Polite answer to a question from Robbo. Did not sound enthusiastic about the prospect to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

Oggy Red said:

Let's look at it from Ricky's point of view:

1) Charlton in chaos. Full of uncertainty, everything crumbling. No one knows what's happening.

2) If no more strengthening of the Charlton team this window, promotion is unlikely to happen.

3) He signed an extended contract in the summer, because his manager convinced him this season he would win promotion - and get his chance to play in the Champ next season.

4) Sheffield Utd gives him a chance to play at that higher level.

5) At approaching 31 years old, this could very well be last chance saloon to achieve his ambition.

6) £££££££ ...... as a family man and end of career just over the horizon, he has a duty to do the best for his family.

7) He's just f*cked off. But unlike everyone else, he's got an opportunity to escape the asylum.

He may have also liked playing for Robbo as it suits his game and now suspects he maybe on his way if takeover happens so now wants to move.

Anyway, wanting out and getting out are two different things. Can Sheffield Utd match our valuation and is there anyone that can or want to sanction a move?

I don’t accept this career thing though. If this is what he really wanted he had his chance in the summer and did not take it.

He has secured his financial future with a long term contract with us, and maybe Utd are now offering a similar deal which was not on offer then. Who knows.

Either way, hard cheese. There are more important things to worry about at the moment than Homes and I think him asking for a move now after just signing an extension with us is disrespectful to us fans given the injury plight we have at the moment. Selfish git.
    Oh, I don't know ....... you're in the position of a fan; so am I, so understand what you're saying from that perspective.
    But I may feel differently if I was a player of his age, in the circumstances.

It's all turned to ratshit at Charlton and in football it's a precarious career. I can't really blame a player for wanting to better himself and play at a higher level - hey, he might even get a chance to feature in the Prem should Sheff Utd win the playoffs!

Anyway, are you telling me you wouldn't be interested if another employer head-hunted you, with much better prospects and generous increase in salary? If you might take it, then why shouldn't Ricky?

Sure, he won himself a better contract last summer, but the club also did it to protect their investment - otherwise Ricky could have left for nothing this coming summer at the end of his contract. Now the club can get a hefty fee if they sell him.

• Redrobo said:

shirty5 said:
    Polite answer to a question from Robbo. Did not sound enthusiastic about the prospect to me.
    Who would be enthusiastic about him coming back.
  • Also talk that he may recall Ajose back from his loan.

I wouldn't mind if we actually played with two up top, bit more proven then KAG & RHF. admittedly he hasn't done well but again mainly as we play a formation that doesn't suit the team.

Holmes goes, we have pretty much no hope of promotion. At present its a small chance with him, Need to sort out Magdennis and Co as we all know.
  • redbuttle said:

Redrobo said:

shirty5 said:
    I think enthusiastic is a bit extreme, but i feel he would offer something if we changed formation... however that is very unlikely, he might even make Magdennis look good if he has someone to knock down to when he actually wins a header.
  • shirty5 said:
    Maybe Bury have already contacted Charlton and said, "Do us a favour, can't you recall him .....please?

• redbuttle said:

Redrobo said:

shirty5 said:
    SHOULD be an upgrade on Karlan Ahearne-Grant in my opinion

Sadly either could easily replace Magennis yet the tactics will remain the same (i.e. hoof it up to Ajose or KAG rather than trying to thread a pass) - As neither of those two can jump their efforts will look less impressive
  • Whatever happens we need to play 4-4-2, our players just do not suit 4-2-3-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

It's never dull being a Charlton fan is it!

Apart from between 3pm and 4.45pm on a Saturday.
  • edited January 2018
    shirty5 said:
    Fucking great - it’s all gonna be ok now lads....Nicky Ajose is coming back.
  • Swisdom said:

It's all becoming embarassing but the players have to take some of the responsibility for the performances.

As has already been said - if you don't want to be here then go.

It's the same players that were in the promotion mix as there are now. Nothing's changed. Katrien going hasn't impacted the players. Roland being a massive prick and pulling the carpet out from the manager shouldn't have changed anything from the players perspective.

We are still a point from a play off spot so all isn't lost.

This takeover needs to happen ASAFP because it's not just the season that is disappearing on a daily basis - but it sounds like the squad isn't far behind. Time for Jacko, Robbo and Bowyer to earn their corn, rally the troops and create a siege mentality and get the best from each and every player each and every day.

Looks like a complete rebuild in the summer though. It's never dull being a Charlton fan is it!

This !!!
  • shirty5 said:
    Fucking great - it’s all gonna be ok now lads....Nicky Ajose is coming back.
    "When asked whether he’d bring him back, Robinson said: “Yeah, I’ve considered it. I haven't talked to him recently."

Robinson answering a random question from a reporter.

Non-story at the mo.

• shirty5 said:
    “I’d Imagine there’s a recall clause”......

Given how profligate we are in front if goal, I would have thought KR would have been a little more certain regarding the loan terms if he had any genuine interest in him coming back.
  • How bad things have become Part 201: Not even Roger Johnson would want to join us at the moment.
  • ross1 said:

I hate to say it, but personally I think this thread is a waste of time, we have been told no transfers while RD owns club. How many of us really believe he will sell the club before the end of this month, he may sell players maybe, but not buy

Not sure you understand a transfer there Ross - outs are as much a transfer as ins.

The players need to drop their attitudes, pull up their socks and pull a finger out. They're the ones not performing. I'd accept Karl's formation isn't working if we weren't creating 20 plus chances a game and only having 2 on targets... that's the players failing.