Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 January Transfer Window Rumours Thread (DEADLINE DAY from Page 56)

Comments

• SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

Here's the Google translation from kicker @Callumcafc

2 days ago

Jena's French left-wing defender Guillaume Cros (22) is looking for kicker information in talks with the English third-party club Charlton Athletic. ...

4 Club career

Guillaume Cros is on the list of high-class clubs. The left-wing defender of FC Carl Zeiss Jena is interested in the federal Ligist FC Augsburg and second Ligist Jahn Regensburg among others. The Frenchman should also have played a role in the focus of racing Strasbourg and FC Basel. Jena would probably call a transfer sum in the middle six-digit range

If he's good enough then fair enough. I just don't know that left back is a huge priority. Obviously just because we've heard about this doesn't mean there aren't other targets in positions we need that we just haven't heard about.

Apart from striker, where else do people think we need reinforcements, assuming we keep everyone in the squad?

For me it's a tough one because somewhere like left back you have Jamie Mascoll who looks just about up to the level. Plus Sarr has covered well there. In theory we also have Lewis Page.

Right back you have Konsa and Dijksteel, though I think Solly desperately needs some competition/respite. If a potential first choice right back comes along then great (this is assuming Konsa stays, if he leaves we need a RB). But we should really only be looking at someone who could come in and put Solly's position under threat.

Central midfield, we're never going to know just how good Dijksteel is at this level until he's played there. It's ridiculous that he hasn't played in midfield in the league yet, and I'd dare say he's never played in midfield for the first team full stop. He looks to have the ability to cover for Kashi, with Aribo the natural back up to JFC. One more in there might not hurt, but again they'd need to be immediate first team quality if they're going to jump ahead of the young players.

It's a tough one. And obviously January isn't the best time to be buying.
    Evening, SDAddick.

Please excuse my naivety but as, I believe, you are based in the US, how does it appear that you know more than those of us that attend most matches, home & away, from your overseas base ?

I presume you are able to watch every 1st team match via some kind of stream but Jamie Mascoll , who you state" looks just about up to the level" ? Although I now fail to attend U23 matches due to moving further away from the area, I do follow the reports of others but have zilch opinion on this player as I've never seen him kick a ball...

Of course, this forum is all about opinions & that's what makes it so successful.

But, whilst I rarely comment on formations on the pitch, or indeed the strengths & weaknesses of individuals, as I've never played the game, I often wonder how informed you can be when you clearly don't see the team play in person.

Without meaning to be rude or offensive, isn't viewing games from afar, how a certain M.Dreissen formed his opinions ....and we know how valid most of those were.

Curious Fanny.
    x

Wow that was incredibly patronizing. Nevertheless, you bring up some very good points.

I've seen him (Mascoll) once in a U-23 game that was streamed, and once in the Checkatrade against Portsmouth. He looks a decent player from that but that is a very small sample size. I think a better phrasing would have been "he looks like he could be given a chance from what I've seen."
    Sorry but I disagree
    You have seen him twice and think he is ready.

This is what happend to KAG and Pig,
    He could be fantastic for the future, lets no ruin him by throwing him into the first team, he is not ready to push us to promotion
  • https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-holds-transfer-talks-with-agents-and-wants-to-ease-workload-on-josh-magennis/

"Charlton boss Karl Robinson met two agents earlier in the week to discuss potential transfers in January.

The Addicks board are keen that any strikers brought in are in-form – with the plan that they carry on scoring streaks.

Robinson said: “It is the first transfer window I’ve gone into that I know who we want and what we need."

I know Robinson talks a lot but what does this mean? In previois windows he DIDN'T know who he wanted and needed?

"“I hope we can get a deal done in the next two weeks. It’s got to be sooner rather than later."

We'd all like to see this but again why does Robinson say these things? Two weeks in and Golfie will be going ape that we haven't signed a striker. Bit like saying the takeover might be imminent. A wish becomes a promise in some people's minds.

Maybe because he's honest and doesn't care if people like Golfie aren't bright enough to understand that "I hope we can" isn't the same as "We definitely will". More power to his elbow I say. Too many public figures these days running scared of speaking frankly because someone with understanding difficulties on social media might take it the wrong way.
  • https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-holds-transfer-talks-with-agents-and-wants-to-ease-workload-on-josh-magennis/

"Charlton boss Karl Robinson met two agents earlier in the week to discuss potential transfers in January.

The Addicks board are keen that any strikers brought in are in-form – with the plan that they carry on scoring streaks.

Robinson said: “It is the first transfer window I’ve gone into that I know who we want and what we need."

I know Robinson talks a lot but what does this mean? In previois windows he DIDN'T know who he wanted and needed?

"“I hope we can get a deal done in the next two weeks. It’s got to be sooner rather than later."

We'd all like to see this but again why does Robinson say these things? Two weeks in and Golfie will be going ape that we haven't signed a striker. Bit like saying the takeover might be imminent. A wish becomes a promise in some people's minds.

Maybe because he's honest and doesn't care if people like Golfie aren't bright enough to understand that "I hope we can" isn't the same as "We definitely will". More power to his elbow I say. Too many public figures these days running scared of speaking frankly because someone with understanding difficulties on social media might take it the wrong way.
    I agree with this. Though I hope Karl has the situational awareness to know that just because he has given Roland a list and met with agents doesn't mean he will sign a player.
  • SDAddick said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-holds-transfer-talks-with-agents-and-wants-to-ease-workload-on-josh-magennis/

I agree with this. Though I hope Karl has the situational awareness to know that just because he has given Roland a list and met with agents doesn't mean he will sign a player.
    I would hope this too. Every chance that part of the reason he is saying these things to publicly pressurise the club. Trouble is I think Roland is equally uncaring of what any of us on here think about him, or certainly isn't going to go out and spend money he doesn't want to because of it.

I'm in the camp of, no takeover will equal no significant signings.
  • All done deals
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

Here's the Google translation from kicker @Callumcafc

2 days ago

Jena's French left-wing defender Guillaume Cros (22) is looking for kicker information in talks with the English third-party club Charlton Athletic. ...

4 Club career

Guillaume Cros is on the list of high-class clubs. The left-wing defender of FC Carl Zeiss Jena is interested in the federal Ligist FC Augsburg and second Ligist Jahn Regensburg among others. The Frenchman should also have played a role in the focus of racing Strasbourg and FC Basel. Jena would probably call a transfer sum in the middle six-digit range

If he's good enough then fair enough. I just don't know that left back is a huge priority. Obviously just because we've heard about this doesn't mean there aren't other targets in positions we need that we just haven't heard about.

Apart from striker, where else do people think we need reinforcements, assuming we keep everyone in the squad?

For me it's a tough one because somewhere like left back you have Jamie Mascoll who looks just about up to the level. Plus Sarr has covered well there. In theory we also have Lewis Page.

Right back you have Konsa and Dijksteel, though I think Solly desperately needs some competition/respite. If a potential first choice right back comes along then great (this is assuming Konsa stays, if he leaves we need a RB). But we should really only be looking at someone who could come in and put Solly's position under threat.

Central midfield, we're never going to know just how good Dijksteel is at this level until he's played there. It's ridiculous that he hasn't played in midfield in the league yet, and I'd dare say he's never played in midfield for the first team full stop. He looks to have the ability to cover for Kashi, with Aribo the natural back up to JFC. One more in there might not hurt, but again they'd need to be immediate first team quality if they're going to jump ahead of the young players.

It's a tough one. And obviously January isn't the best time to be buying.
    Evening, SDAddick.

Please excuse my naivety but as, I believe, you are based in the US, how does it appear that you know more than those of us that attend most matches, home & away, from your overseas base ?

I presume you are able to watch every 1st team match via some kind of stream but Jamie Mascoll , who you state" looks just about up to the level" ? Although I now fail to attend U23 matches due to moving further away from the area, I do follow the reports of others but have zilch opinion on this player as I've never seen him kick a ball...

Of course, this forum is all about opinions & that's what makes it so successful.

But, whilst I rarely comment on formations on the pitch, or indeed the strengths & weaknesses of individuals, as I've never played the game, I often wonder how informed you can be when you clearly don't see the team play in person.

Without meaning to be rude or offensive, isn't viewing games from afar, how a certain M.Dreissen formed his opinions ....and we know how valid most of those were.

Curious Fanny.
    x

You bring up some very good points.

I've seen him (Mascoll) once in a U-23 game that was streamed, and once in the Checkatrade against Portsmouth. He looks a decent player from that but that is a very small sample size. I think a better phrasing would have been "he looks like he could be given a chance from what I've seen."

As far as the concept of not being able to judge players from afar, first off, I'm not the head scout of a football club (or series of football clubs) and never purport to be, But I think it's worth noting that just because Thomas Driessen does something doesn't make it wrong, be that the use of statistics or the use of "tapes" of games to scout players. I suspect the way he does them is what's wrong. And I wouldn't say you should judge players based solely on stats and videos if you're the scout of a football club. But I'm sure that every major football club uses statistics and videos of players to gauge them.

Here's a really interesting article from FFT on how clubs scout players. I think something they talk extensively about that Driessen clearly doesn't do is building a "personal profile" of a player. It's clear that we have signed a fair few players who either don't speak the language (Ba, Bergdich, Kashi), aren't suited to the team, aren't suited to the English style, or all of the above.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/performance/skills/what-do-scouts-look-footballers

Secondly, there are things you can see on streams that you can't see in the ground, and vice versa. When I go to The Valley I sit in the East Stand about halfway down. It means that I can see certain things because I'm close to the pitch that I can't see on the stream. But it's very, very difficult to get a tactical perspective of the game that you can get from the stream where the camera is mounted high up on the East Stand (or atop it, I don't know exactly where the camera fixture is).

I don't know how to say this without it sounding patronizing, and it's not meant to be, but can I recommend watching a few games on streams? I do think you'd notice things you don't notice in the ground. Absolutely I miss out on things not being at matches (and for what it's worth I desperately wish I could go more), but I have seen every game the first team has played this season.

I'd also be really curious to hear from those who both watch games on iFollow and go to games. What are the differences you see and feel (apart from the obvious you're not in your living room in your pajamas) in terms of how you judge the team and performances?

Something I've long wondered but haven't brought up with LL yet because I don't want to give him more work: but I'm curious to know how the average player marks differ between those at the games and those watching on the stream. Obviously because the numbers are relativistic it would be an inexact science. But I wonder if one is consistently higher.
    Thanks for that response, SD Addick & for taking my post in the manner in which it was intended.

Interesting to hear your views.
  • If we’ve done our homework on him then it’s the sort of signing that would make sense but surely not for anything other than development squad.

If he’s the standard of player we are expecting to cement our playoff ambitions then frankly it would be a joke.

• edited December 2017

All done deals

In that case they'll be announced soon then...? Dasilva was confirmed by the club before January window opened last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• If we’ve done our homework on him then it’s the sort of signing that would make sense but surely not for anything other than development squad.

If he’s the standard of player we are expecting to cement our playoff ambitions then frankly it would be a joke.

Took the words out of my mouth. Asking too much of a player to go up four divisions (is it) from semi-pro to pro and have any sort of immediate impact.

I really hope we would look abroad before we look at the 7/8th tier on England.
  • SDAddick said:

If we’ve done our homework on him then it’s the sort of signing that would make sense but surely not for anything other than development squad.

Took the words out of my mouth. Asking too much of a player to go up four divisions (is it) from semi-pro to pro and have any sort of immediate impact.

George, reza, pete, big mac, delort at wigan,
    Players from abroad are so much beter lol
  • SDAddick said:

If we’ve done our homework on him then it’s the sort of signing that would make sense but surely not for anything other than development squad.

Big Mac ????? Wtf ?

• edited December 2017

SDAddick said:

Big Mac ????? Wtf ?

From the Scottish Leagues so technically they're a Foreign FA

Plus he's Northern Irish so from across the Irish Sea
  • SDAddick said:

Big Mac ????? Wtf ?

I believe he is talking about the tall blonde as opposed to the Irishman.
  • SDAddick said:

Big Mac ????? Wtf ?

I believe he is talking about the tall blonde as opposed to the Irishman.
    Ohh yeah... Easily forget Makienok
  • edited December 2017

SDAddick said:

JBG, Buyens, Ben Haim, Kashi, Sarr (now), Bauer, Igor. We've had good signings from abroad as well.

And every player you listed was at least playing professional football when we signed them (or didn't in the case of Delort, sort of weird using an example of a player who didn't sign for us, like saying "Nolito didn't work out at Manchester City").

Also, and I'm guilty of this as well, but "abroad" is not a monolith.
  • edited December 2017
    Be interested to know why the Lol @Leuth - What bit of my post you disagree with in the context that all of the above were bought whilst we were a Championship club with PL aspirations,
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

JBG, Buyens, Ben Haim, Kashi, Sarr (now), Bauer, Igor. We've had good signings from abroad as well.

And every player you listed was at least playing professional football when we signed them (or didn't in the case of Delort, sort of weird using an example of a player who didn't sign for us, like saying "Nolito didn't work out at Manchester City").

Also, and I'm guilty of this as well, but "abroad" is not a monolith.
    JBG =excellent. To this day the only player we have paid for money and sold for a profit under RD I think so a one off in 3years of ownership.

Buyens =decent but not a very committed player, could have been better if he had any kind of passion.

Ben Haim =good handful of games to start, did not rate afterwards. Gave away a few pens and lucky not to give away more.

Kashi - decent League One player. Not convinced much more than that. Was bought to cement our place in the Champ. Spent 2 Year’s injured whilst we were relegated not sure he could be deemed a success to us.

Sarr = was and remains shit.

Bauer = see Sarr.

Vetekele = bad buy. Cost a lot, spent most of the time injured. Lives off a reputation from his first couple of months or so.

I have no issues with overseas players and if we can scout them properly then fine but the ones we have bought in under RD have been a complete disaster and I have no faith it would be any different if we get more.
    Did we not get JBG on a free?
  • sam3110 said:

Be interested to know why the Lol @Leuth - What bit of my post you disagree with in the context that all of the above were bought whilst we were a Championship club with PL aspirations,

I lol'd as well

Sarr isn't shit, neither is Bauer

JBG was a free transfer

Pope was sold for a profit

That's already 3 points you are wrong/we disagree on, can't talk for @Leuth but I reckon it'll be along the same lines
    Was just the Bauer/Sarr line tbh
  • Actually it was the Kashi line too
  • Who was the last January signing who led to a significant upturn in the seasons proceedings?
  • MrOneLung said:

Who was the last January signing who led to a significant upturn in the seasons proceedings?

Maybe not a significant upturn in the seasons proceedings but we signed BWP in the January when Powell took over. BWP of course was vital for us the season after when we won promotion.

The promotion season we signed Haynes in the January, who I thought done very well for us in the second half of the season when played.
  • Scoham said:

All done deals

In that case they'll be announced soon then...? Dasilva was confirmed by the club before January window opened last season.
    They cannot be announced until the window opens and the player becomes registered to the club.
  • MrOneLung said:

Who was the last January signing who led to a significant upturn in the seasons proceedings?

Marco Motta(although that was a feb)
    And lets not forget our best ever Jan signing Mr Johnson himself-Roger Johnson

But in all seriousness JFC was signed in Jan