Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 Posh 2 - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

Offensively, we are simply the Ricky Holmes show. And everyone now knows it and are preparing for it. Looks like they are doubling up on him but showing him inside, and already have their defensive line set up for his inswinging cross. 9 out of 10 attacks come from Ricky but for one reason or another had no real threat tonight.

Because his delivery has been on the whole dreadful this season? As good as his dribbling and shooting is, his crossing has been mystifyingly bad. And his set-pieces, Wimbledon aside, even worse. I guess you take the rough with the smooth. If he could cross as well as he can run with the ball he wouldn't be our player
    he was the only one who really looked like he wanted the ball, and was the most threatening - everything,literally everything remotely dangerous came through him.
  • Options
    Very pleased for Karlan.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Offensively, we are simply the Ricky Holmes show. And everyone now knows it and are preparing for it. Looks like they are doubling up on him but showing him inside, and already have their defensive line set up for his inswinging cross. 9 out of 10 attacks come from Ricky but for one reason or another had no real threat tonight.

Because his delivery has been on the whole dreadful this season? As good as his dribbling and shooting is, his crossing has been mystifyingly bad. And his set-pieces, Wimbledon aside, even worse. I guess you take the rough with the smooth. If he could cross as well as he can run with the ball he wouldn't be our player
    he was the only one who really looked like he wanted the ball, and was the most threatening - everything,literally everything remotely dangerous came through him.
    Him and JDS, yes. It's entirely possible that both our posts are right! He worked space really well and terrorised their right-back, but kept overhitting his crosses
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like we were a bit pants but that was a huge point and gives us a 6 point cushion on Peterborough in 7th with a game in hand.

For me, top 2 is unrealistic for us barring a miracle with injuries so I'm more than happy if we make the playoffs.
  • Options
    Great fight back,pity so few people there to cheer the team on,still,expect they will all come out of the woodwork if we get to a play off final.Well done to the faithful,tremendous support tonight even when 2 down.
  • Options
    AFKA has summed up very well
    We were terrible tonight and I mean proper proper shit

But we drew got away with a Desmond so it’s happy days
  • Options
    We were bad. No idea why Robinson did not mix it up. Wave after wave after wave of attacks down the left with Holmes playing in crap crosses. Why not have a go on the right with Marshall? Should have taken Kashi off at half time, he was like a third CB, sits far too deep. Peterbrough were average. we were clueless. Late goals are always nice but having fought back for a point i did not leave on a high as there were 89 mins of garbage.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Peterborough should have buried us tonight so very pleased to come away with a point, especially with two goals in injury time.

A few quick thoughts:

Defensively poor tonight as others have said. Why do we play so so many, if any, suicidal balls across the back line? Our passing is nowhere near clinical enough to be doing that.

Peterborough were so fast going forward, quick, accurate, forward passes and they carved us open so many times tonight. On the other hand, we start going forward with pace and then Holmes gets the ball and refuses to pass, unless he can beat two men first - it slows our attack down, they get back, and we put in a poor cross which no one gets on the end of because they have 5 back in the box. We put in endless crosses tonight and could have done so all night and got f all.

KAG made the difference when he came on. He tried something different. There is only so many bloody times you can run down the left and put in a deep cross, surely!?!

Kashi-does he have any idea where he is trying to head the ball. It's like he is playing keepie up with a balloon at a party.

Da Silva is too good for league one.

Big Mag hardly got a touch and Best, although he showed a few good touches when we went 442, wasn't really involved.

We need Clarke and Fosu back and Pearce in at the back.

Peterborough were very solid at the back until injury time - they threw that away.

Onwards and hopefully upwards (and perhaps not so much down the left wing...)
  • Options
    They were shit, we were shit, they’re the ones who blew the 2-0 lead. Nothing else matters really.
  • Options
    I’m hoping that’s going to be the type of result to really kick the confidence back into them

We don’t look anything like the side we are when it’s Holmes Clarke Fosu

Need them both back soon

Defending was a bit shambolic tonight
  • Options
    Bizarre game. The early goal (from a very good free kick) allowed them to just keep 11 in their half for the majority of the game and hit us on the counter which our defence couldn't really cope with.

If you don't normally notice how good Chris Solly is then you would have tonight, defence looks so much more assured with him in it although Dijksteel looked good playing RB.

We need to be more creative than just giving it to Ricky (although their debutant RB couldn't handle him). With Clarke and Fosu in the side it's not a problem but it becomes painfully obvious what we're doing when they're not there. They also made it hard for us to go through the middle by sitting so deep, the endless crossing was inevitable.

Had we not conceded early on I think we'd have won comfortably as they'd have pushed forward more. Given the circumstances the point is a good one but it's a worry when you look at our games in December.
  • Options
    Oh and I thought Best looked decent for half an hour but not sure he touched the ball in the second half. Hopefully more to come from him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dreadful performance for 90 minutes and PBoro should have been out of sight.

Very disjointed. Konsa a great CH but not a RB. Sarr terrible, got turned regularly and regularly gave the ball away. Kashi not with it and the usually reliable JFK off colour. A big hole where Clarke or Reeves usually play and Best AWOL.

First goal was pathetic. Someone said they thought a few players looked offside but they actually moved whereas we were playing statues!

Main bright spot was we kept trying, Pleased for KAG and thought Dijksteel and Aribo also did well when they came on. MoM Dasilva who continues to look class.
  • Options
    Think Bauer was far from fully fit and should not have played. We ended up with a very young back four that looked better balanced.

Not sure what has gone wrong with Kashi. He needs to remember that tackling is a skill that requires timing. There is no need to crash into a player running away from goal.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2017
    Followed the match mostly on Twitter & BBC & Charltonlife. After some industrial strength moaning on Twitter & Peterborough’s 2nd goal & the game getting to 78 mins, it looked all over, & a near third goal off the line, & I got distracted by the final bit of Masterchef. Checking the result after, it was a total surprise to see 2-2 & even more of surprise to see Ahearn-Grant getting the equaliser. Pleased for him.

Don’t think the squad has sufficient depth & Leon Best is highly unlikely to be the answer. Not sure about Robinson’s tactical ability either . At least the squad he has built has some spirit. Charlton have undeservedly lost 2 goals leads on a whole heap of occasions. What goes around, comes around & it is fair enough get a 2 goal deficit back for a change. You need spirit in the team to achieve that.
  • Options

This 'team' doesnt play as a team, it just tries to operate as 10 individuals and see how far up the pitch it can get. We are now getting sussed out by 'real' teams who play as a unit, maybe they have less skill, but they play together. It operates so distant from each other that there is no real cohesion, Magennis and Best , well, if you had asked me if they had played at the end of the game, then i would have had to check - this is a regular occurrence with Magennis.
    Another season of mediocrity beckons, and another season of dog shit performances.

If you went to Rotherham away, you would've seen a real performance from 11 players . Guessing you didn't bother making the trip pal ?
  • Options
    One thing surprised me on the match stats was that Charlton had 56% possession. From most people’s comments, Charlton did not play well. How did they end up with such high stats, did Peterborough sit back & let Charlton back in ?
  • Options
    Still in shock...... that the crowd was given as 9.5k. That would imply each stand was 1/3rd full - Pmsl.

Left early and missed both goals and still have not seen us win this season. Been to Wigan and tonight at home and Gillingham away = 270mins of dross on the whole.

Still I'll take missing the comeback to get the point. Play-offs at best!
  • Options
    Awful performance, remarkable turnaround. Thought Konsa, Best, Baur, Kashi absolute garbage tonight. Why anybody would pay big money for Konsa is beyond me.