Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017 shortlist revealed

Comments

• Options

I thought the tribute with Rag n Bone man was quite moving.

Except for putting 3 photos up at a time, very hard to read them before they had gone.
  • Options

Utter bollocks. I like Mo Farah but he’s won fuck all this year.

Edit, forgotten he’d won the 10,000. Still think there were more appropriate winners though.
  • Options
    Just out of interest, did anyone on here vote?
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

I’m not Hamilton’s biggest fan but he achieved more this year than Farah

He'll win it the year he's set to retire...
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

He has won it before.
  • Options

Just out of interest, did anyone on here vote?

Hell to the no.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Laddick01 said:

He has won it before.
    I stand corrected... Cheers I didnt realise
  • Options
    Looked at odds aj was 1/12 anyone know what price mo was
  • Options
    How typically British - Mo wins when he doesn't actually achieve a double success.

Maybe people felt more sorry for him that his last race wasn't a win.

I think only other time when Farah came in the top 3 was when he didn't win both races either!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

50/1 I think
  • Options
    Once again I’m reminded that the public should not be allowed to vote.
  • Options

50/1 I think
    This only a few weeks after the favouite to win stictly was voted off.

Bookies getting a few things wrong
  • Options

just before the results Mo was 33/1 at boyle sports, 25/1 at a couple of others

AJ was actually 1/14 at bet victor
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

That's a matter of opinion, Laddick01.

I don't buy into the "drug cheat " accusations that some will inevitably reel off again.

And I don't dispute the many hours of practice that Lewis has put in over the past year to help him achieve another World F1 Champion.

But Mo has achieved year after year without any assistance from "something mechanical " - merely his legs, lung capacity and his dedication to his sport.

And I'd bet he doesn't own , or even desire, many of the ridiculously expensive "toys" that Hamilton has.

Far more a man of the people IMHO.
    What classes as a man of 'the people'?

I along with all of us are part of this all encompassing group - "the people".

I think Lewis is a brilliant sportsman and I would fecking love his lifestyle!!
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

I don't buy into the "drug cheat " accusations that some will inevitably reel off again.

And I don't dispute the many hours of practice that Lewis has put in over the past year to help him achieve another World F1 Champion.

But Mo has achieved year after year without any assistance from "something mechanical " - merely his legs, lung capacity and his dedication to his sport.

And I'd bet he doesn't own , or even desire, many of the ridiculously expensive "toys" that Hamilton has.

I don’t think there’s any denying what Farah has done for athletics, and looking at his awards he’s more than worthy of winning SPOTY , but this year , to me it just screams sentimental voting.

While Farah is an athlete the same could be said for Hamilton. Not only having to memorise tracks , perfect lines and having an unbelievable reaction time I can’t comprehend how talented he is.

Farah has more of the ‘nice guy’ vibe around him, but after the doping allegations I just can’t warm to him as much.
  • Options
    I'm delighted Mo won, he should have won it last year or 2012.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    rina said:

just before the results Mo was 33/1 at boyle sports, 25/1 at a couple of others

AJ was actually 1/14 at bet victor
    I know a bloke who had a four figure bet on AJ to win SPOTY, back in January. After he won in May, I was absolutely convinced he would win.

1/100 AJ to be in the final three, one of the biggest sporting betting shocks in ages.
  • Options
    9 of last 12 winners from sports covered by the BBC (Olympics and Tennis)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

50/1 I think
    This only a few weeks after the favouite to win stictly was voted off.

Bookies getting a few things wrong
    Punters getting it wrong.

Bookies make more money when an outsider wins.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

9 of last 12 winners from sports covered by the BBC (Olympics and Tennis)

There's obviously an advantage in that far more people would have watched the achivements of the likes Murray and Farah live in the moment compared to sports that are behind paywalls.
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

What classes as a man of 'the people'?

I along with all of us are part of this all encompassing group - "the people".

I think Lewis is a brilliant sportsman and I would fecking love his lifestyle!!
    That's a good question and, for me, strikes right at the heart of why I don't care much for sports personality of the year. Different people like different sports; that's fine. People like different sports people; that's fine. But the Sports Personality ethos is that they are all somehow in it together supporting some undefined greater good; that is bollocks. Sports people are in it for themselves. Good luck to them. I don't mind that they win all sorts of awards and trophies within their own fields. They've put in the practice and demonstrated the skill and determination to win, that's fine. But let's not kid ourselves that they have to be men or women 'of the people'. They are just people with certain physical abilities who are for the most part just a little more obsessive about aspects of their lives than the rest of us.
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

Hamiltons achievements this year was better than Farahs though.

Achieving something year after year belongs in the lifetime achievement award and not sportsman of the year.

Like Hamilton, Joshua also did everything he could this year, winning everything they could.

Farahs a brilliant sportsman but agree that it was a sentimental vote.
  • Options
    I am shocked Jonathan Rae polled over 80k in votes and beat some of the other names on the list.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

They both won a world title but Farah also came runner up in another world title so how did Hamilton do more?

Hamilton had best car, Farah had best legs.

P.S. I am a massive Hamilton fan and would have voted Peaty myself if could be bothered by this malarkey.
  • Options
    I know this is more likely me being naive than anything, but who has even heard of this Rea bloke? Even Peacock that high seems a bit off. The whole Top 3 just isn’t right, no disrespect to them individually but that screams fix to me.
  • Options

I am shocked Jonathan Rae polled over 80k in votes and beat some of the other names on the list.

The power of social media? I am staggered that only marginally over £500K vote, so much so that, if it wasn't for the fact that there is a finite group that you can vote for, I suspect a protest campaign for someone like Eddie The Eagle could be successful.
  • Options

Why? He's from Northen Ireland, bike racing is massive there, he has a huge fan base worldwide and is 3 times World Superbike champion in arguably one of the toughest sports.
    Also he's a bloody likeable bloke.