Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017 shortlist revealed

Comments

• Options

Greenie said:

It has to be AJ or for me one of the bravest bastards in any sport, Johnny Rea.

Poor old Johnny Rea...
    I now have Come on sodding Eileen going round and round in my head. Thanks!! :(

• Options
    There’s a lot going on there VG and it ain’t all him is all I am saying

I have been saying it on the other thread he isn’t all goodie two shoes and the PR machine has slipped but there’s outside influences he can control them and is maybe choosing not too and the mask is slipping
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Stig said:

I honestly don't see how you can look past Froome. He's won the top two competitions in his sport, have any of the others done that? He's won the top one now for four years out of five. This is not just a one off event that's taken a few minutes or a few hours, it's three weeks of relentless competition. The Tour is arguably the toughest competition in the world. None of the others have taken on anything nearly as gruelling. I don't want to nock the others on the shortlist, I'm sure they are all the best at what they do and I'm sure they have entertained their fans, but really there's no comparison to the achievement or necessary effort invested by Froome: Anthony Joshua has had two professional fights this year. That's just an hours worth of fighting. Lewis Hamilton sat in a car for his races. There's no doubting that he's highly skilled, but the physical element is no different to what millions of kids do when they grip their playstation controllers. Harry Kane hasn't actually won anything. Mo Farah, failed at 5000m. As for the rest, no fault of their own but they are just that: The rest. Got to be Froome.

I agree Froome would be a worthy winner. This is totally untrue however.

Lewis Hamilton and every other Formula One driver is insanely fit. Even a day Karting leaves an untrained adult feeling like his arms are dropping off.

Stick a PlayStation kid in an F1 car as a passenger at race speed and they would pass out after one lap.

F1 drivers in fact incorporate cycling into their pre season training routines. Jenson Button is a competitive triathlete for example.

F1 drivers are some of the fittest sportsmen around - especially this year now the cars have such high cornering speeds.
  • Options

Stig said:

I honestly don't see how you can look past Froome. He's won the top two competitions in his sport, have any of the others done that? He's won the top one now for four years out of five. This is not just a one off event that's taken a few minutes or a few hours, it's three weeks of relentless competition. The Tour is arguably the toughest competition in the world. None of the others have taken on anything nearly as gruelling. I don't want to nock the others on the shortlist, I'm sure they are all the best at what they do and I'm sure they have entertained their fans, but really there's no comparison to the achievement or necessary effort invested by Froome: Anthony Joshua has had two professional fights this year. That's just an hours worth of fighting. Lewis Hamilton sat in a car for his races. There's no doubting that he's highly skilled, but the physical element is no different to what millions of kids do when they grip their playstation controllers. Harry Kane hasn't actually won anything. Mo Farah, failed at 5000m. As for the rest, no fault of their own but they are just that: The rest. Got to be Froome.

Lewis Hamilton and every other Formula One driver is insanely fit. Even a day Karting leaves an untrained adult feeling like his arms are dropping off.

Stick a PlayStation kid in an F1 car as a passenger at race speed and they would pass out after one lap.

F1 drivers in fact incorporate cycling into their pre season training routines. Jenson Button is a competitive triathlete for example.

F1 drivers are some of the fittest sportsmen around - especially this year now the cars have such high cornering speeds.
    What a pity. You were doing so well. I'm quite happy to believe that they are fit, that karting makes you tired and that Jenson Button is a competitive triathlete. The fittest sportsmen around, though? THE FITTEST SPORTSMEN AROUND!!! Just read that back and see if you can see anything that might seem odd in that statement.
  • Options
    Antony Joshua will win it by a landslide. (Even though Fury didn't get it for doing the same thing).

Who deserves it? On talent alone probably Froome or Peaty.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Stig said:

Stig said:

What a pity. You were doing so well. I'm quite happy to believe that they are fit, that karting makes you tired and that Jenson Button is a competitive triathlete. The fittest sportsmen around, though? THE FITTEST SPORTSMEN AROUND!!! Just read that back and see if you can see anything that might seem odd in that statement.
    Did I say the fittest sportsmen around?

Or did I say SOME of the fittest sportsmen around?

Big difference. I stand by my statement that they are up there without committing that they are fitter than anyone else.
  • Options
    Hmmm, I'm failing to see this big difference.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Hmmm, I'm failing to see this big difference.

It's quite simple....

THE fittest sportsmen as you said I wrote would infer nobody is as fit as them which is untrue of course.

SOME of the fittest sportsmen infers they are in a group of various other sportsmen who collectively could be seen as being some of the fittest around.
  • Options
    As for the Helen Rollason award, that is a no brainer. It has to be Bradley Lowery surely!
  • Options

As for the Helen Rollason award, that is a no brainer. It has to be Bradley Lowery surely!

I agree and as so have started a pettition to the bbc to make sure this happens

Please sign and share
    https://www.change.org/p/bbc-bradley-lowry-to-recieve-the-helen-rollason-award-at-sports-personality-awards-2017?recruiter=796234219&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Johnathan Rea for me 3 times World Superbike champion and going by his form looks set to dominate for a good few years even surpassing the great Carl Fogarty .
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

Johnathan Rea for me 3 times World Superbike champion and going by his form looks set to dominate for a good few years even surpassing the great Carl Fogarty .

Great rider no doubt but for me doesn't have Foggy's charisma and World Superbikes is sadly now a shadow of its former self with little depth of talent compared to Foggy's heyday.. Just my opinion of course...
  • Options
    It's about time they dropped the personality bit from the award, there are next to no "top of their sport" athletes with personalities, to them it's all about winning and getting to the top of their chosen discipline.

They start so young now all they know is training and competing, it seems to me growing up they don't seem to spend any time as youngsters developing personalities from interacting with others outside the bubble of the sport they are in.
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe Ronnie O'Sullivan has not been nominated, he seems to be getting better with age.
  • Options

I find it hard to believe Ronnie O'Sullivan has not been nominated, he seems to be getting better with age.

Because it's in snooker.
  • Options
    If R O'S wins at the Crucible in a particularly stylish way, and no British sportsperson has done much of note in one of the major team sports, I'd be delighted to vote for him
  • Options
    Three of Ronnie's five Crucible wins have been in an Olympic year, alas.

Obv world snooker >>> the Olympics ;)
  • Options
    Last non-Olympian to win in an Olympic year...was Damon Hill :/

Snooker >>> Olympics >>> F1
  • Options
    Oh! Steve Davis won in an Olympic year! Almost makes up for Mansell, Hill and then wall-to-wall Olympians thereafter
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Oh! Steve Davis won in an Olympic year! Almost makes up for Mansell, Hill and then wall-to-wall Olympians thereafter

Snooker was a LOT bigger back then though! And in 1988, our Olympic performance was pretty terrible too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. A lot of people (not me) struggle with the idea of snooker being a proper sport.
    2. As talented as he is, O'Sullivan is often seen as a miserable git who doesn't do enough to support his own sport/game.
  • Options
    Ask Steve Davis what O'Sullivan does for snooker. His answer will be comprehensive.
  • Options
    The BBC Sports Personality of the Year award is futile, meaningless and a complete non-event.
  • Options
    Mourinho. You can’t deny he’s got personality.
  • Options
    who to vote for? Hussain Farrah!
  • Options
    This programme is boring me rigid. Too much hyperbole.
  • Options
    Good to see the young English footballers on stage, I saw Dasilva there, not sure about Konsa or Lookman
  • Options
    Think the vote will be so split it will be a surprise winner..... A footballer will always do well as a whole clubs supporter base will be behind them.

Think Kane will be right up there.

And if Joshua doesn't win it could be him.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Last non-Olympian to win in an Olympic year...was Damon Hill :/

Snooker >>> Olympics >>> F1

while this is factually correct I would argue that Wiggins' win in 2012 had little to do with his olympic achievement