Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017 shortlist revealed

Comments

• I assume Defoe will get a special award

It is after all a Sports achievement award, rather than a "great person" award
  • McBobbin said:

AJ for me. Fight against Wlad was really exciting. Most recent fight wasn't.

Problem he'll have is that the general public doesn't get to watch boxing.
  • Riviera said:

Can't believe everyone so far is ignoring Mo !

He's a cheat apparently...
    'Apparently' is a hell of a word.
  • Riviera said:

This used to be a great programme, but it's meaningless now. Most of them don't have a personality and some of them I've never even heard of. Those that I have heard of are either tax dodgers or cheats. It really is a waste of time in my opinion.

Hilarious!
    Thanks - I'm here all week.
  • Have to agree re: Defoe. Really disappointed not to see him on the list. What he done with little Bradley went over and beyond.

Christ, Kane may have been prolific for 2.5 seasons but SPOTY? Absolute joke. Shouldn’t be anywhere near the short list and thats with my kippah on.
  • JamesSeed said:

Riviera said:

Can't believe everyone so far is ignoring Mo !

He's a cheat apparently...
    'Apparently' is a hell of a word.
    Wasn't me who said it.
  • Leon Best for me
  • In 1966 and 2003, the Sports Personality of the Year was a key member of that year's England World Cup winning team.

Captain, Bobby Moore won the award in 1966, with the hat-trick scorer Geoff Hurst in third place.

Winning drop-kick scorer Jonny Wilkinson won in 2003, with his captain, Martin Johnson runner-up.

It's good to see that, when sports stars represent their country at the highest level and win the world cup, they are recognised for their Everest achievement, against participants in other sports, and awarded this fun, but coveted title.

I hope Anya Shrubsole becomes the latest world cup winner to add this award to her trophy cabinet.
  • What no Ajose?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

In 1966 and 2003, the Sports Personality of the Year was a key member of that year's England World Cup winning team.

Captain, Bobby Moore won the award in 1966, with the hat-trick scorer Geoff Hurst in third place.

Winning drop-kick scorer Jonny Wilkinson won in 2003, with his captain, Martin Johnson runner-up.

It's good to see that, when sports stars represent their country at the highest level and win the world cup, they are recognised for their Everest achievement, against participants in other sports, and awarded this fun, but coveted title.

I hope Anya Shrubsole becomes the latest world cup winner to add this award to her trophy cabinet.

Unlikely as her sport does not currently have the same mass appeal amd mass participation as Moore and Wilkinson's.

I imagine most if not all football fans would have watched 66 and many even the rugby final in 03. Very unlikely the same is true of Shrubshole's achievement.

Will be very unlikely it will win if based on public votes for those reasons regardless of how much the Beeb dress it up with slow mo reels set to poigniant and inspirational soundtracks.
  • For the 63rd year in a row, I won't be bothering to vote.
  • edited November 2017

Dissapointed no nomination for Defoe,

Its not best sportsperson of the year or who has won the most, its who has stood.out the most, he has gone above and beyond.

This year he went out of his way on more than one occassion for Bradley Lowry thats a true Sports Personality and I cant belive he is not even nominated.

I’m kind of the other way on this Pauline. JD did what he did for personal reasons, and because he is a decent human being (didn’t think I’d say that about him!).

He doesn’t need any recognition for what went on.
    Ok so pride of britain, surely the winners of that are the exact but they still get the recognition
  • Wot about Lewis?
    Got to be , surely.

No personality and a tax avoider!

AJ wins hopefully

• edited November 2017

Dissapointed no nomination for Defoe,

Its not best sportsperson of the year or who has won the most, its who has stood.out the most, he has gone above and beyond.

This year he went out of his way on more than one occassion for Bradley Lowry thats a true Sports Personality and I cant belive he is not even nominated.

I’m kind of the other way on this Pauline. JD did what he did for personal reasons, and because he is a decent human being (didn’t think I’d say that about him!).

He doesn’t need any recognition for what went on.
    Ok so pride of britain, surely the winners of that are the exact but they still get the recognition
    Agreed. But SPOTY is for Sporting Achievements.
  • edited November 2017

Wot about Lewis?
    Got to be , surely.

AJ wins hopefully

I’ve have to say - I’d avoid paying it as well if I could!
  • Wot about Lewis?
    Got to be , surely.

AJ wins hopefully

I don't get this no personality thing with him. Certainly more than 90pc of footballers for instance
  • Greenie said:

It has to be AJ or for me one of the bravest bastards in any sport, Johnny Rea.

Poor old Johnny Rea...

Comes from my mate's home town, nice guy too apparently.

I thought it was called the sports personality of the year

Not sporting achievements of the year

No one deserves the award more than Defoe

I thought it was called the sports personality of the year

Not sporting achievements of the year

No one deserves the award more than Defoe
    But it's a "sport" award, and what Jermain did was off the pitch really
    JohnBoyUK said:

Have to agree re: Defoe. Really disappointed not to see him on the list. What he done with little Bradley went over and beyond.

Christ, Kane may have been prolific for 2.5 seasons but SPOTY? Absolute joke. Shouldn’t be anywhere near the short list and thats with my kippah on.

Kane has 40 club goals this calendar year, in a non Olympic year, when the likes of Murray and the golfers and male cricketers have flopped, he deserves to be there, even if he doesn't win
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone but AJ. The quicker everybody see's through his nice guy act the better.

Blokes a dick.
  • That’s a bit harsh mate he is a nice enough fella just got a bit of outside influence right now that needs to be put in check
  • That’s a bit harsh mate he is a nice enough fella just got a bit of outside influence right now that needs to be put in check

Didn't really like his 'Superior black race' comments recently. Find all the bad boy turned golden boy stuff all a bit contrived.
  • edited November 2017
    Got to be Sarr for having the courage and character to go from defender to star striker.
  • Stig said:

I honestly don't see how you can look past Froome. He's won the top two competitions in his sport, have any of the others done that? He's won the top one now for four years out of five. This is not just a one off event that's taken a few minutes or a few hours, it's three weeks of relentless competition. The Tour is arguably the toughest competition in the world. None of the others have taken on anything nearly as gruelling. I don't want to nock the others on the shortlist, I'm sure they are all the best at what they do and I'm sure they have entertained their fans, but really there's no comparison to the achievement or necessary effort invested by Froome: Anthony Joshua has had two professional fights this year. That's just an hours worth of fighting. Lewis Hamilton sat in a car for his races. There's no doubting that he's highly skilled, but the physical element is no different to what millions of kids do when they grip their playstation controllers. Harry Kane hasn't actually won anything. Mo Farah, failed at 5000m. As for the rest, no fault of their own but they are just that: The rest. Got to be Froome.

But he has the Personality of a brick wall will be the reasoning for many voters

Its a title that needs amending to Sports Person of the Year!!

After all its to work out who the best Sporting Person is rather than who the nicest bloke is!!
  • Mo Farah, showed his versatility with those Quorn ads too
  • Has to be Froome, will be a travesty if it isn't.

Winning his 4th Tour and La Veulta in the same year is amazing, it puts him in such an elite group in cycling.

I also think he's a great understated leader in the cycling world which it really needs at the moment. He's also refused to back Brailsford, and other dodgy characters in the depressing things which have come out surrounding Wiggins TDF win in 2012 which I think says alot about his character, morals and principles.

I think the cycling world will look back on Chris Froome and see him as one of the true greats of the sport, both on and off the bike (and he's still got a few years in him for sure!).

Spot on.

Va Va Froome.
  • Disappointed there is no RoJo this year.

Didn't really like his 'Superior black race' comments recently. Find all the bad boy turned golden boy stuff all a bit contrived.
    Seems that any black man making it big in any sport has to say that if he hadn't been a success then he would be in a gang dealing drugs and being a bad boy.